Gokstad c. 900 AD by bigpetr - 1:48 - CARD - viking ship

I think you nailed the color of the hull.  And the "carvings" along the strakes are well done.  Look forward to the next chapters.

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

• 2 weeks later...

Jig is ready to serve, I forgot to include few important guidelines to the jig, so I had to plot them by hand:

IMG_5835s.jpg.e350e401e3f587d602a1dc7f5b09b727.jpg

Then I assembled some visible ribs and aplied the grooves to the edges. Some test paint was used  to see if the grooves will be visible when painted . They are, so I will continue to do them on the rest of the ship.

IMG_5856s.jpg.0de502a44f9077958670630fd07fcc28.jpgIMG_5857s.JPG.b39d990104fea690870d0246194a4548.JPG

Planking journey has started, first plank in place, fits perfectly:

IMG_5909s.jpg.9dac231d2ba491075c44c1f36cd44508.jpg

Here are planks in two stages of making proces. Laminated templates and cut out planks. Planks are laminated to desired thickness in a way that ends are roughly two times thinner than the middle part, same as the original planks. Also not every plank has the same thickness. In this scale differences are few tenths od millimeter, so I hope it will be at least felt if not seen.😀

IMG_5910s.jpg.e3803976f1ac6a357c8312e92661ecf3.jpg

A question about your planks:

Is the shape of an individual plank the same from stem to midship and from midship to stern?

Love  your build. Trying to figure out this new emoji thing to give a “like”. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

I am glad you like it, friends.

No, the shape of the plank is not same from stem to midship and from midship to stern. I 3d modeled planks to fit all actual ribs so they dictates the shape of the whole plank. Also stem and stern has different shapes so endings of the planks is different there also.

My planks represents the shape of the ship as displayed in musemum today, witch, as I learned receantly, probably do not represent the shape of the ship from its active years of duty due to 1000 year in the ground, wood shrinking and romantic ideas of archeologists from first half of 20th century who reconstructed the ship for display.  Lets hope it will recieve the same treatment from nowdays archeologists as Oseberg ship and we will get the shape closer to the initial state of the ship.😀

23 hours ago, Srodbro said:

Love  your build. Trying to figure out this new emoji thing to give a “like”. 

Lower right hand corner of each post...  there's a "thumbs up".  If you hover over it, a couple of icons will also display incase you want to use one of them.  Just click on which ever one you want to use.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

40 minutes ago, bigpetr said:

Long phase of template preparing pays off.

I couldn't agree more. All that work has really produced superb results. That's such a beautiful shape.

I have to attach another rib to guide the planks, because planking reach to the top of the small rib underneath it.

IMG_5986s.jpg.71b0f414decd45aa8f41892492984285.jpg

I have ploted decorative triangles to the top planks. They were probably painted. Are there some information on how the color on viking ships was done? Did they apply protective tar coat and then the colour, or just the colour layer? Or colour and then tar? Or do they mixed color pigment with tar? On museum replicas it looks like just colour layer.

653888607_topplankdecoration-s.jpg.aed7018e3218576e40f84e46eb438a97.jpg

On 10/25/2020 at 10:57 PM, bigpetr said:

re there some information on how the color on viking ships was done? Did they apply protective tar coat and then the colour, or just the colour layer? Or colour and then tar? Or do they mixed color pigment with tar?

Very good question - unfortunately i don't know the answer to this one; it would probably be in some archaeological report somewhere. Does it make a difference to how yo're doing the model?

Your ship is looking amazing! The templating really payed off, and I like the decorative moulding on the planks.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:57 AM, bigpetr said:

They were probably painted. Are there some information on how the color on viking ships was done? Did they apply protective tar coat and then the colour, or just the colour layer? Or colour and then tar? Or do they mixed color pigment with tar? On museum replicas it looks like just colour layer.

From the Viking Ship Museum website:

The paint used by the Vikings as the basis for decoration work of this kind consisted of inorganic colour pigments with casein tempera as the binder. Casein can be obtained from, for example, buttermilk and one of its advantages is that it can be directly applied to tarred planking where it lasts for a considerable time, even in Danish weather conditions.

So it seems like it was applied to an initial layer of tar. I'm assuming any subsequent layers of tar applied over the years as maintenance weren't applied over the paint, but the paint itself was just reapplied.  Here are some pictures from the Helge Ask Guild website (Skuldelev 5 replica) of them repainting and re-tarring the ship. The bottom paint used here is a modern copper based one I believe, the Vikings appear to have used seal blubber tar below the waterline

144640234844784300_resized.thumb.jpg.9ea891c4439f4581deb9404d9fa12de1.jpg142704398180175000_resized.jpg.1a18b4569e4b25efed78bfbb1ca306bc.jpg149311814577240100_resized.thumb.jpg.bc494ed4fd9fffa9732b1ad92eaaae41.jpg

Alberto - "Binho"

Current Build: Dusek 1:72 Scale Longship

Digital Shipyard: Viking-era ships and boats

3D Art: Artstation, Sketchfab

Firs I cut oar holes to the planks:

IMG_6069s.jpg.24f4d940cad9b528561047aa366c3d68.jpg

then attach it to the hull:

IMG_6085s.jpg.0e0e1f0410d269725c6bb72f8fc046f9.jpg

IMG_6083s.thumb.jpg.6f15281cc369ac2ccf95e69560410084.jpg

I did some tests how to paint the triangles:

IMG_6095s.jpg.ad7d57399700196528a9289eecb0d56b.jpg

This is one posibility (score lines with blade so the paint will stop at it). Other idea is to cut individual triangles, paint them and glue them together. But maybe it will look too "precise". I need to test it.

Beautiful work on the planking, Bigpetr. That view from the bow is just amazing - what an exquisite shape!

I like what you're doing with the triangles. If you can get it to work without the paint "bleeding", I think scoring the lines is probably the better way to go.

Regarding the colour scheme, I like to top one with the single black stripe better than the bottom one with two. But that's just me.

Hey @bigpetr, if you haven't seen it I think you will love this: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=LCWEGGrUnpi

It's the Gokstad exhibition room. It allows you to walk around the ship in 3D with fairly high resolution photos! Next best thing to actually being there.

Alberto - "Binho"

Current Build: Dusek 1:72 Scale Longship

Digital Shipyard: Viking-era ships and boats

3D Art: Artstation, Sketchfab

• 2 weeks later...