Gokstad c. 900 AD by bigpetr - 1:48 - CARD - viking ship

Thanky you Binho, :). Rivets are punched with o,5mm diameter punch tool from the 0,1 mm thick paper to be in scale with real rivets and glued on the surface of the plank. I decided not to paint them with metalic color, because on ship reconstructions they are covered with protective paint and metal mostly do not shine throu.

pictureprovider.aspx?z=600&picture_id=I0

Rivets will be on the rest of the hull too. I will also do tree nails on outside hull, not inside where they were inline with the plank surface. I needed to rivet this planks first so I can paint them before instaling them. It will be easier to colour triangles before instaling the planks. Painting them is what I am working on now. Then I will do rest of rivets on outer hull and then finaly detach the ship from the jig. I almost detach the ship from the jig few times to see it without it, but I manage to supress my impatience. Riveting will be much easier with the jig attached:)

Wow, that's going to be a lot of work, but I think it will be worth it! I think not painting them metallic is a good call. Can't wait to see it removed from the jig either :) Your build is making me want to try modelling in card too!

Alberto - "Binho"

Current Build: Dusek 1:72 Scale Longship

Digital Shipyard: Viking-era ships and boats

3D Art: Artstation, Sketchfab

Card is worth the try:). Chalenge (for me, since I did this first time) is that you have to imitate the materials with paint. With wooden model you have it for free:).

One row of rivets from fore to aft takes me about hour including punching them. So to rivet outer hull takes me 17*2= 34 hours. I will interlace it with other building task like CAD work on the ship, mastfish, rudder to rest from it :)

Hello friends,

I have prolific discussion with realy knowleable men who sails and maintain viking ship replicas.

He proposed to do shield rack on Gokstad. I will try to investigate this idea, because It would be practical to have one. But bigger news I am excited about is that if he will help me I will do this type of rigging:

901166351_PictureStonefromSmissinStenkyrka.thumb.jpg.162091b911bc6b566f2cdf944382b599.jpg

It is not the "official" rigging used on viking ship archeological replicas, but it was depicted on several pictures from that age. I am realy looking forward to try to interprete this drawings.

Do you know some models with this rigging used?

13 hours ago, bigpetr said:

Do you know some models with this rigging used?

No, but it will be very interesting to see it being done.

As I understand it, the idea of all these ropes was to even out the forces on the homespun (wool) sails, which had a tendency to stretch. And in this picture and others, there are (usually diagonal) criss-cross patterns, probably reinforcements also to reduce stretching.

What did you do for International Viking Day? - Australian National  Maritime Museum  image.jpeg.2ff32fad3ad848199ee9135199ab252c.jpeg  image.png.d387e240d9ad4cd7386015756d8d0aeb.png  image.png.8e8ef9f9faa8511c207b5f0f885225c9.png   image.png.bf333b872a315b9998b2a40a6a69f004.png   image.png.d0f1b891716de54f2c349cc4c30380fc.png 

What did you do for International Viking Day? - Australian National  Maritime Museum   image.png.cec18ed0ee1fdbd32c3c853ce7a8df82.png    image.png.dc6137ea69655c3610155e61c42698c7.png  

image.png.e350894da86edc7ebd6b31d31ccf031f.pngimage.png.14905d1cf7a74fbde86f0b9792aef58a.pngimage.png.7cef1f8479a28cb68935a08187ddd8a9.png     

Steven  

Edited by Louie da fly

It's my pleasure. In fact I've learnt a thing or two while doing this The only two contemporary sources I know that show sails on Viking ships are these runestones and Viking coins.

The Viking Age: Picture-sources: Vikingeskibsmuseet i Roskilde

And [almost?] without exception the sails seem to have these criss-cross patterns. Looking at all these pictures raises the question - were all Viking sails like this? I know the modern stereotype is for Viking ships to have striped sails, but where does that come from? Perhaps the sagas contain more information, and perhaps they mention striped sails - but that would be another study which I'm not prepared to chase at the moment. 

Another point to consider - were the Viking sails really made of homespun wool? Is there any actual evidence of this? I got it from a book, but it certainly didn't mention any evidence to back the assertion. The Vikings were fully conversant with making linen and even used stinging nettle fibre to make cloth. Why would they have used wool to make their sails if it stretched like that?

Final point - the great majority of depictions on picture stones have this kind of rigging at the foot of the sail - some is a lot simpler than the example you posted, but nonetheless they're there - and perhaps the simpler ones (often a Y shaped arrangement) could give an idea of how the more complicated ones work. If you look at the middle picture on the third row in my previous post, perhaps that gives a hint of how it was done - a loop around the upper rope leading to the next rope down.  I'm reminded of crows-feet on bowlines in 17th century ships which perhaps performed a similar function.

Spanish Galleon: 10 Things You Should Know - Realm of History

Edited by Louie da fly

Looks good, but I'd say the tiller should be higher - it looks like the helmsman would be working inefficiently if he had to move it at that height. More like chest height, I'd say - then he can use all his strength in the horizontal direction, rather than wasting some of it downward.

Exactly my thinking Louie. I scratched my head about it for some time, but this is how it is, based on archeological plans. This part of the ship survived quite well up to the top strake.

0a5f241fef0d2f4e8c886fc6a295ab96.thumb.jpg.1ab0d92b765c7eb273bddf6bd9d04c02.jpg

On "Viking" replica of Gokstad it was like this and captain Rasmussen was surprised how easy it was to steer the ship:

figure_1_viking_with_sail.jpg.606e7d9df8e8a1afb6daa598caed43e3.jpg

Saga Oseberg replica has it like this, also quite low.:

12-vyrez.thumb.jpg.0474c5fa1429347653693c864ef3ada3.jpg

And if you are on helmsman deck of Saga Oseberg, it looks like this:

cDPKV24.jpg.9133a7e016404497018a7b33193fc345.jpg

I was realy trying to do it as high as I can based on dimensions I have. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Petr! I'm revising my Oseberg project to mirror your Gokstad project. Are you still around? I could use some pointers.

1. What software did you use to draw/print your parts? Sorry, it's been a while, I forgot you're using Rhino
  2. Could you please describe your technique for building up layers to scale thickness?

Thanks!

Kris

Edited by KrisWood

• 4 months later...

Hi bigpetr,

is the construction of the ship still going on, or have you abandoned the project?
would you make the blueprints downloadable in pdf format?

I'm thinking about building a similar boat, but I couldn't find any really good plans. I managed to download the Billing boats Oseberg plans, but I'm afraid they are not detailed enough.

it would be nice to see your finished ship.

BR.: Peter

• The title was changed to Gokstad c. 900 AD by bigpetr - 1:48 - CARD - viking ship