Hi all,

Ever since we introduced the spinning globe 'Where in the World' tool to the front page back in 2013, we've had a lot of enquiries about making this a more personalised experience. To that end, we've just installed 'Member Maps'! We know a lot of members have wanted to use something like this for various reasons.

This is an entirely voluntary application, meaning you manually place your location pin into the map. You can do this manually or get the system to grab your location and drop the virtual pin for you. A great tool for finding if there are members near you for joining any clubs perhaps, or kit trades/sales etc. 

If members added their location, this could be an invaluable tool as well as a generally interesting feature here at MSW.

To find Member Maps, click the link in this dropdown, as shown here:

Screenshot-2020-05-22-at-14.43.48.jpg

From there, you will be presented with a scrollable world map. You can either search for your own location, or click the MY LOCATION button shown on this screenshot.

Screenshot-2020-05-22-at-14.44.26.jpg

Screenshot-2020-05-22-at-14.45.32.jpg

When you add your location, it will be added to the map and saved into our system.

Screenshot-2020-05-22-at-14.45.57.jpg

When you then access the map area, you can click on a pin and see who is in that location and contact them via their page on MSW. It's as simple as that! We hope you enjoy it!

Screenshot-2020-05-22-at-14.28.07.jpg

28 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

James, you are very close to Liverpool -- do you speak Scouse at home??

Most definitely not! 🤣

I don't talk 'Manc' either. I have a strange Lancs twang that is a cross between two other slightly different accents....places I've lived.

I was initally concerned that the map seemed to be showing my exact location and/or was asking for a specific address, which seemed a bit invasive. A bit of fiddling showed that I could just specify a region (like my county or even state) rather than an exact location, which is much better. The odd thing is that it still gives a specific point, which could be rather misleading (for example, just entering "Missouri, USA" places a point near the geographic center). I guess no system is perfect. But anyone who is concerned about privacy might want to fiddle with the settings until you get a point location you're comfortable with while still being reasonably accurate. And anyone browsing this shouldn't try to draw too many conclusions about exact location of the point.

53 minutes ago, James H said:

I don't talk 'Manc' either. I have a strange Lancs twang that is a cross between two other slightly different accents....places I've lived.

I sometimes have trouble understanding English when it is spoken heavily accented in unfamiliar ways to me such as some of accents found in England, Scotland and Ireland. Last fall my wife and I traveled extensively in the Atlantic Provinces of Canada and there were some remote places in Newfoundland where we could barely understand what was being said to us even though the language was English. We are also currently binge watching the original series, Outlander, and we have to put the subtitles on to be sure we can understand the Scottish accented dialogue.

I have often wondered if those of you across pond find it hard to understand us Americans in a similar way due to the accents that vary geographically in the USA? 

Back in 1986 the Public Broadcasting System, aka PBS,  broadcast a 9 part series narrated by Robert MacNiel, called The Story of English.  It is well worth downloading and watching.  One episode kept switching between a Pub in southern England and a Pub on an island in Chesapeake Bay USA as the patrons of each were conversing, the "English" accents were nearly identical in sound. 

24 minutes ago, BobG said:

I sometimes have trouble understanding English when it is spoken heavily accented in unfamiliar ways to me such as some of accents found in England, Scotland and Ireland. Last fall my wife and I traveled extensively in the Atlantic Provinces of Canada and there were some remote places in Newfoundland where we could barely understand what was being said to us even though it was in language was English. We are also currently binge watching the original series, Outlander, and we have to put the subtitles on to be sure we can understand the Scottish accented dialogue.

I have often wondered if those of you across pond find it hard to understand us Americans in a similar way due to the accents that vary geographically in the USA? 

I usually have very little problem understanding Americans, whether they from the cold north or Deep South. 

I find those from Eire (Rep of Ireland) quite easy to understand, but more difficult from the north....especially around Belfast. As for Outlander...no problems at all with that accent. Part of my family originally came from Scotland. One of the hardest there is to understand (even by fellow English) is the North East accents, but strangely, I have no problem.

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

One episode kept switching between a Pub in southern England and a Pub on an island in Chesapeake Bay USA as the patrons of each were conversing, the "English" accents were nearly identical in sound. 

I think that was the beer influence.  :cheers:

Regarding American accents.  I had an American couple stop at the model makers desk to chat.  They were from somewhere in the deep south and their accents were almost a parody of an extreme American southern accent.  The conversation went something like this"

Me:  What part of the States are you folk from?

Wife: How did you know we were from the States?

Husband: I think it might be your accent, honey.

Wife: But I don't have an accent.

Husband: You sure do here!

John

6 hours ago, BobG said:

some remote places in Newfoundland where we could barely understand what was being said to us even though the language was English.

Years ago a frozen fish company in Canada had a TV ad that showed a Newfoundland fisherman talking about their product.  Subtitles were part of the ad and were needed for us in Ontario.  It was well done.  (Ise de by dat bils da boat and ise the by that saleser.  A great song.  Newfoundland I believe.)

The people in Newfoundland are incredibly friendly and hospitable. One day while we were staying on Fogo Island we had a problem with our rental car. The fishing outport we were staying in was very small but we remembered seeing a crude sign for auto repairs and drove over to it. It was just a big garage with two men working in it. A big storm was coming in and it was blowing hard and starting to rain.

I walked into the shop and started asking the man, who was busy mounting a tire on a rim, if he could take a look at our car. I honestly did not understand what he was saying to me but I took it to mean that they would take a look at the car. He was a talkative guy who laughed a lot and I could understand some of the questions he was asking me but, honestly, I only understood about half of what he was talking about.

Anyway, after he got the tire mounted, he put the car on the lift and made the repair right away and only charged us a very small amount. He was friendly, funny, hard working, honest and more than willing to help out a stranger just like most of the people we met in Newfoundland. We'll definitely make a return trip someday. 

Also, if you add your location, you will see a new block appear in your profile page too!

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 11.00.24.png

Just dropped myself onto the map, to me i appear as a house but

everyone else sees a figure?

Much better than the globe thank you.

1 minute ago, Cabbie said:

Just dropped myself onto the map, to me i appear as a house but

everyone else sees a figure?

That just indicates it’s your pin. 

9 hours ago, Cabbie said:

Can this topic be made a sticky on the main page?

It's already a pinned topic in this main Forum Q&A area.

Thanks James

I suppose people, like me! should look around a bit more🙄.

Cheers Chris

This is a great idea!

Just set up my location.

It's fun to see where everyone comes from!

Some folks pretty close, some folks in places I could only dream of visiting.

Tom E