Size of studding sail boom irons

Hello Everyone;

Just came across this interesting little illustration whilst searching through a bunch of draughts downloaded from Wikimedia Commons. 

This shows the main topsail yard-arm of Endymion, a 44-gun ship launched in 1797. This gives an idea of how big the yard-arm and studding sail boom irons actually were.

all the best,

Mark P

image.thumb.png.2ec64f02f4e1b6b4e3d27fdac59f235a.png

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

This has a ZAZ number in the corner, so is part of the Royal Museums Greenwich collection. I don't know whether there are copyright concerns involved here. However, it is a nice illustration.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Good Afternoon Druxey;

Thank you for pointing this out, but I checked this first, and the Wikimedia Commons licensing statement says that no permission is required for use for any purpose, as this image has been in the public domain. Although the original text of the title of the drawing could be considered copyright.

All the best,

Mark 

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS