To all the "Billing Boat HMS Bounty" builders out there... Should I cancel my order?

How many hours did your build take?
And how experienced were you when starting said build?

Hey guys, I am an absolute amatuer (don't even own tools) and have ordered the Billing Bounty as my first build in 20 years (since I was a kid).
WHY you ask?..
Because it was on sale & my gf wants a nice authentic looking ship to go in her living room, and it's all about the aesthetics of the display piece for her. Not the love of seafaring or anything like that.
So higher quality models it is! But a pre-built ship of this caliber would cost around AUD$1000 (way over her budget of $300), and the cheaper model kits seem to look not as refined/detailed or large.

I'm very interested in how long it took all you guys, as my gf doesn't want to be waiting around for it too long.
As daunting as this build looks, I do have a lot of free time over the next month or two & my housemates will no doubt develop envy (hopefully this build allows for some teamwork?).
Plus there are heaps of awesome build logs I've discovered in here to help me out too (especially Steve). 

It won't be shipped out to me for another week, so I am still able to cancel the order if anybody has a better suggestion?

I’m going to say cancel.

While it is possible to build a kit like this as a complete novice, that is normally the exception to the rule.

You are far better off getting a simpler model, which may also be cheaper and build that. Simpler doesn’t mean any less awesome, it just means you are more likely to finish.

This site is full of enthusiastic amateurs who hope to build a museum class model right off the bat. 99% of these people give up and move onto something else. Like stamp collecting.

I was almost one of these people.

I have nearly finished the HMAV Bounty’s Jolly Boat as my first build. I have really enjoyed the process and learnt that I really like building smaller class model boats. As an FYI, some of the more amazing models on here take several years and thousands of hours to make. A smaller model could be finished in months. I think I started my boat in February, stuffed around, waited on extra bits, played with the RX-7 and will still be finished by this weekend.

So, while I have enjoyed the subject matter, I wouldn’t recommend the manufacturer as a first kit.

Hopefully, a more learned guru will pop in now and link to the kit I have in mind, but a model Long Boat kit could be a good option. Maybe it is the Model Slipways Midway Longboat that comes with all the tools you need to build it? I can’t remember.

It’s 11pm here so I’m going to run along now, but I will report back in the morning. And if no one else has found the kit I’ll find the link and post it.

This is the kit I was thinking of:

https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-18th-Century-Longboat-Wooden-Model-Ship-Kit-Tools-148-Scale--MS1457CBT_p_3447.html

There is another version on this site that comes with tools and everything, but it gets spendy.

I'm going to agree with Jonny, who has rightly observed that the Bounty is not an ideal kit for a beginner. A larger problem as I see it is the "month or two" time frame that you mentioned. Some of our members who are retired and also seasoned model makers can pull off something like that in a month or two, but you are looking at a project that will take you a minimum of several hundred hours to complete, even you knew what you were doing. As a beginner, it will likely take much longer. 

Jonny's suggestion about the longboat is a good one. It's been a popular beginner's kit around here. 

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

G'day Sandoman. I'd agree with Jonny's advice. For two reasons - one, you're more likely to finish something simpler. Two, even if you do finish, it's going to take you a good long time to make something as complex as the Bounty (beautiful as it might be) - much longer than your girlfriend would be happy with.

A longboat would be a good choice, or perhaps a singlemasted ship like a cutter (though that would be considerably more complex and take longer than the longboat). Both can be very impressive when finished - don't forget ships' boats did have masts and sails; they weren't just rowing boats. I'm not familiar with the quality and ease of building of the various kit manufacturers (I'm a scratch builder), but I'm sure other members will be able to give you some guidance in getting a kit that doesn't strain your abilities as a beginner.

Use the search function at the top of the page to find build logs for cutters and longboats (and don't forget the Bounty's jolly boat!), to get some idea of how long they usually take. I started my own dromon in 2015 and I'm only now approaching the end of the build - but I reckon I still have several months to go.

By the way, where are you in Oz? You might find there are other modellers not too far away from you.

Steven

You might also like to check out Vanguard Models. Chris Watton, who is also a member here, has just added two nice little models to his range, that are specifically targeted towards beginners. His kits use quality components, are exceptionally well designed, and come with probably some of the best instruction manuals going. His express desire in creating these offerings was to provide newcomers with a positive experience that would encourage them to stay with the hobby. You will find some excellent build logs on the site here if you want to preview what building them will look like.

Looking at this from another point of view, I build boats for the journey it self, the fun and the challenge involved. Of course I have learned a lot and learn more as I progress. The final outcome, the boat it self, although I try to make it as good as i can, is not as important. This is why I scratch build. So best to choose a boat that will be fun to build and tick the right boxes rather than the one that fits the mantel piece. Even building a kit, there will be an awful lot to learn and to overcome. As to which kit you should go for, lots of good advice available by others

If I may, no punches pulled. The Bounty is a blunt bow which would be near impossible for a newbie to build in two months and have a decent looking model that of which your gf would approve. A Vangard kit will give the results you want BUT you really need to increase your time line by 6 to 8 months MINIMUM. Good luck in which ever you choose.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Having built the Billing Bounty, I can tell you it is no easy feat for a first time builder. The Bounty was the 4th Billing kit I tackled, so it with the experience gained from earlier builds and lessons learned, it was a very rewarding and enjoyable experience. And that's what you want out of this challenging hobby. A project that you can start and finish with minimal frustration and maximum pleasure. There are countless unfinished models out there where the builder went in with the best of intentions but a lack of tools, experience and patience. And there is nothing worse than tossing out a perfectly good kit that has been started and never completed.

If you are still keen on building a model ship (and who wouldn't be?...) then pick a kit that you really like the looks of, and figure, hey I can do this! Billing make some very nice kits in the beginner and advanced beginner category which you might be interested in.

I have included a picture of my own Bounty with this post. The rigging alone should be enough to scare you away....🙂

Bounty12(2).JPG.771e4ef4d5f384624646933873c1f8af.JPG

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Cancel... start simple and work your way up as suggested.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

I agree with all the comments so far. I recently finished (for the first time) a wooden boat kit, the 50ft Steam Pinnace (HMS Renown) from Billing Boats. The planking of the hull was a real learning curve and along the way were exercises in working out where things go, how to fit the small details, working with three different materials etc. Plus the usual Billing 'instructions' and plan. I have a couple of their bigger kits which I'd love to have a go at; but even with my experience of model making in other fields I am realistic enough to know I'd be running before I walked with them... Go small and simple and work your way up - there's a reason why those beautiful ready made models are so expensive!

The Pinnace, by the way took me ten weeks at a rate of one to two hours a day, sometimes more.20200521_161345.thumb.jpg.61090f27bf7e5684eeba8c08b97bdce4.jpg

You have more options.

If it is Bounty you like then you could build this version:

480431419_Bountyside.JPG.394fa15793ef9229e8962dba45b6fed8.JPG

This is a modified Airfix Kit.

If it has to be wood then the planking of Bounty is a more difficult option. However, if you are not particular of the vessel then there are easier kits to build with better instructions such as the Brigs that Vanguard models offer or if you want a three masted vessel then ships like Rattlesnake have kinder lines.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

On 5/26/2020 at 5:00 AM, gjdale said:

You might also like to check out Vanguard Models. Chris Watton, who is also a member here, has just added two nice little models to his range, that are specifically targeted towards beginners.

I agree that the Bounty would be very difficult to do well as a beginner and it would take much more time than you would expect. Either of the two Vanguard models that Grant referred to in his post would be perfect choices for you to build. They have outstanding instructions and great materials so you would be able to successfully complete a beautiful model. Check out the  Vanguard Lady Eleanor and the Lady Isabella build logs by James H here on MSW. They are beautiful models. Good luck! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Stay away from Billings for a first build.  Their instructions are rather sketchy and not for beginners.  Look for a model that has excellent drawings and instructions.  Preferably one that has several build logs on MSW.  Models from Model Shipways are very good in that respect.  If you are looking for a model that makes a good display and is not to difficult for a first time builder look at the "Willie L. Bennett" from Model Shipways.  Not that Model Shipways is the only manufacturer with good drawings and instructions.  Check out build logs here and ask questions about those that interest you.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Thinking about it, maybe Thunder's suggestion of a plastic Bounty would do the trick - does your girlfriend have any objection to plastic? It can still look very good, and would take a lot shorter time to produce - and a lot less hassle - and still be a three-masted square-rigger rather than a boat.

Might be worth considering.

Steven