USS Constitution by Reborn - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:96 - as appeared in 1812 - first wooden ship build

Looking great.  I think it's almost normal that the first build of something with 3 masts takes forever.  Especially with work and family things going on.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 5/27/2020 at 10:18 PM, KHauptfuehrer said:

Beautifully done.  Having struggled with the same kit for 11 years, I am in a position to appreciate what it took to get to this point and have it look so excellent!

Thanks Ken (hope I got the name correct).  That says a lot coming from you.  I have seen your Constitution and your work is 'amazing'.  

On 5/27/2020 at 10:38 PM, mtaylor said:

Looking great.  I think it's almost normal that the first build of something with 3 masts takes forever.  Especially with work and family things going on.

Thanks Mark.  Definitely appreciate your comments from an expert ship builder.  

Ron

Here are a couple of other photos.

This first one is another view (please ignore my mistakes :) ) at the currect build stage:

Not sure yet how the text and photos line up, but the 2nd photo is taken thru the windows of the transom looking towards the bow.  The light you see shining off the gun deck are from small LED lights I installed in the ceiling of the gun deck.  Course using my phone to take the photo does not due it justice.  When you look at it with the naked eye you can see all the way to the bow.

20200527_103057.jpg

20200527_102619.jpg

Nice work! Much better than mine! Like you and others I'm also on my decade long quest to finish up this model, in fact I'm almost finished with the rigging. Maybe 6 more months!

We do have patience!!!

John Gilchrist
Yukon, OK

Current build: MS Emma C Berry

Completed: MS Fair American, MS Armed Virginia, MS Pride of Baltimore, Mississippi River Steamboat, Peterboro Canoe, MS USS Constitution, Mayflower, Billings African Queen

On 5/29/2020 at 3:08 PM, KHauptfuehrer said:

Great photo.  I would need an endoscope to get a view like that.  Very neat and clean. I thought about having lights in the gun deck, but could not figure out how to do it.  Congrats! Thanks also for the kind words.

Regards,

Kurt

Thanks Kurt. Sorry for calling you Ken.  

Let me say that some of the work you have done with your Constitution is so much better than mine and in more detail.  You definitely have the knack for working with small items that are on these ships.  Even my wife said 'Why doesn't your ship look as good as Kurt's?'  (HA!!!).  

I will admit that your masts are really, really good.  I am hoping mine will come out looking that good.

Ron

On 5/29/2020 at 1:51 PM, jgilchrist800 said:

Nice work! Much better than mine! Like you and others I'm also on my decade long quest to finish up this model, in fact I'm almost finished with the rigging. Maybe 6 more months!

We do have patience!!!

Thanks John!  I hope to start the rigging in the next couple of weeks.  I 'hope' to get the ship finished this year.  But we'll see.  

I see you have completed several ship builds.  I am starting to 'think' about my next ship, or boat, but have not come up with a decision yet.  I'll take any suggestions.

Ron

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Louie da fly...

It has been an 'eventful' year, 2020.  Been delayed in building and responding and posting.  Was gone for 2 months, then got back and the rest of life and family and 'honey-dos' caught up with me.  I'll be adding updates in a few days, and hopefully 2021 will be a better year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  I am back, and I know it has been awhile.  There were two hiatus' this past year since my last posting.  The first one, happened around July; however, I was able to get some work done on the ship.  Back in August I was at this point before the second hiatus occurred.

image.thumb.png.0150b66652987b4ccd32a1f55cb3f71b.png

That last one lasted until almost Thanksgiving.  Anyway I digress...

Here is where I am currently:

20210110_180511.thumb.jpg.258d101bd3c4b12166ed776e70b5c1c6.jpg

As you can see in the above photo I have the masts completed and the upper shrouds completed.  As Nic has stated in his Red Jacket build 'rat lines are fun'...  hehehe!!!

NOTE:  The masts are just sitting in their respective places in the ship and are 'not' glued in.  I will not be glueing in the masts.  Rigging will take care of aligning the masts and keeping everything where it needs to be.

And this one...

20210110_180529.thumb.jpg.e471c7652d4ae8c94533cbd0046e66f5.jpg

I will be building out all of the masts.  As shown I have the Crojack installed on the Mizzen mast.  I will be building out the masts from aft forward.  Each mast will  have all of the rigging lines installed for that particular mast.  As you can see with the lower shroud lines each line will be numbered.  As I put a line on the mast I will make a 'cheat sheet' with the number and the name of the line.  Then when I begin the rest of the rigging I have a guide number and then just need to look in the rigging plan in the instruction book to see where it goes to.  Once correctly in place I'll then cross that line off my list.  I will also highlight the plan to show that particular line is completed.

My next steps will be:

o - Put in the Crojack lift rigging.  This will 'not' be belayed at this time, and the Crojack brace lines

o - Install the rest of the mizzen yards, their respective lifts, and brace lines, if applicable, jeers, halyards, etc

o - Install any missing eye pins that will be required, as per the plan

o - And, all of the 'Stay' lines

Once I have the Mizzen mast completed as noted above I'll provide another post.  Hopefully it won't be another couple of months :)