USS Constitution by Bill97 - FINISHED - Revell - PLASTIC

I recently completed my Ravell USS Constitution I received as a Christmas gift. Five months of work. I am pleased with it. Like most on here I opted to leave the sails off so as to better see the rigging. I am about to start the Ravell Cutty Sark. When I did the Constitution I did not paint the deck. Just left it the cream color right out of the box. For the Cutty Sark I have decided to paint the deck as I have seen a number of modelers do. I was looking on line for hints and ideas and stumbled onto this blog, which I had no idea existed when I did the Constitution. Wish I had. Reading over it now I see a number of ideas and hints I would have employed. Will definitely refer to it during my Cutty Sark build. I have seen several recommended methods for painting the deck and plan to practice them to see which method I am the best at. I have a full pallet of enamel paints I use for my models. Have not tried acrylics, which many recommend. Just my sheer quantity and variety of enamel paints would make starting over with acrylic cost prohibitive. I need to find advice on how to make my own white or dark enamel wash. A number of you use that as a final step when painting the deck. 

958E04E4-2841-46E3-A95F-B79587767206.jpeg

She's a beauty! Got more images?? Congrats!! Youtube has a lot of information on applying wash, maybe you find something there.

:cheers:   :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Nice model!  I built it about 40 years ago, before I started all wood construction.

On the Constitution I overplanked the deck with 4mm x 0.6mm walnut for a more realistic appearance.  Prior I had built the Revell Cutty Sark, truly an outstanding kit, and did the deck by first painting it black, then overpainting with teak paint (tan with a dab of green added).  Then sanded  the deck with very fine sandpaper to bring up the raised grain embossing.  This has to be done with a very light hand so as not to erode the grain detail. 

The scale of the Cutty Sark by Revell is probably too small to consider overplankig.  You would have to use 2mm x 0.6 mm walnut and it would be tedious and difficult.  Experiment with paint first.  Good luck 

I've enclosed a photo of my current project -- Cutty Sark, originally a Sergal kit, heavily modified according to Longridge.  I've been working on it for 10 years off and on, and I expect to finish it within another year. I'm 74 years old so I figure I better hurry!  Lou

Cutty Sark 13.jpg

Bonedoctor, your Cutty Sark is beautiful!!  Is that a Revell 1:96, or a different one?  Your deck is incredible. Is that paint or wood veneer? I know you said the scale of the Revell was to small to try to use veneer b

By the way your shop looks great also. I am jealous. I have a folding table and pole lamp set up at the foot of a bed in our guest bedroom. All my supplies, tools, and paints are set up best I can manage. I turn 68 in August so I am not far behind you. Finished my USS Constitution as you saw in the pictures above. Working on my Cutty Sark now and refining my skills. And the big one!  Going to tackle the Heller 1/100 HMS Victory, which I expect will take me up to your current age!

One last week thing Bonedoctor, I really like the paint color scheme you used on the ship components. I have seen a number using different colors on the deck houses and so on. With your permission I would like to steal some of your ideas. 

This model started life as the Sergal Cutty Sark 1:78 scale.  It was purchased in 1985, started, and abandoned until 10 years ago.  I had only done the frame but after other projects I decided to work on it.  It was to be my master project with no compromises!    The kit plans have gross inaccuracies and the model has been heavily modified and built according to details in Longridge and Underhill.  All wood and brass construction.  Hollow hull, egg-crate construction, sheathed with 2,500 individual copper plates.  I then overpainted the copper plates with a thin wash of copper, white, and black paint to cut the shine and give a weathered appearance. The deck is 3mm X 0.6mm walnut planked in a 5's pattern,  not the 2's shown on most plans.  I strongly urge anyone attempting to build the Cutty Sark to get Longridges book and follow it closely.  Also, there are a lot of photos of the actual ship on the web and help fill in needed details and colors.

The paint scheme is as close to realistic as I can research.  Feel free to use my model as an example.

I have built many models over the years, but this one is extremely difficult due to the complexity of the tea clipper running gear.  I have a sail set, but I have not decided if whether or not to use it.

Below are some photos of a Bermuda Sloop that I built from plans by Rob Napier published in NRG many years ago.  It was after finishing that model that I started the Cutty SArk again 10 years ago.

Good luck!  Your models look great.  Lou

Bermuda sloop 1.jpg

Bermuda sloop 3.jpg

Bermuda sloop 2.jpg

Thanks Bonedoctor. Beautiful ship. I found an interesting product Vallejo makes called Old and New Wood Effects. It is a series of different color acrylics that you apply with an airbrush, fine tip paintbrush, and washes. Depending on the desired effect, old or new, the advertisement shows some pretty realistic results. May order it just to give it a try.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to USS Constitution by Bill97 - FINISHED - Revell - PLASTIC