Quality of Corel kits?

Hi Ian, thanks for this info.  I ended up having to use the zoom function on the NMM site as well as the zoom function on my browser, and can more clearly see what you were saying.

Having started looking into this, I think I now more fully understand what you are thinking of doing.  You're a brave soul, not sure that I would undertake that major surgery - but, ultimately you need to end up with a build that you are fully satisfied with so I think modifying the build is the way to go.

I'm going to order the Pandora book and see if there are any good ideas or suggestions in it.  I'll be sure to pass along any tidbits I come across.  This has been a very interesting and fun discussion with you and the other Unicorn builders, thanks to everyone for participating!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike,

My pleasure. The discussion has greatly increased my knowledge as well. Any further info you get would be gratefully received.

Re my being brave - a case of fool's rush in...........perhaps. :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

In case anyone else is looking to join the Unicorn club, there is a recent listing on eBay that is currently at a low amount:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290937919810?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Good luck to you!

Mike

In case anyone else is looking to join the Unicorn club, ....................

Mike,

I nominate you as chairman! :)

Ian M.

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Ha, I need to finish my Badger first but sure, why not!

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Just placed a bid.. want her so badly.. :D

Did you win the auction? 

Mike

I've been reading the Gardiner book "The Sailing Frigate."  It's an interesting read, as it goes through the history of the development of the frigate, using NMM models to showcase his points.  

Ian, there's a chapter in the book called "Filling in the Waist" where he opens by saying "The forecastle and quarterdecks were originally entirely separate, but a significant trend in the development of the frigate was the gradual closing in of the waist, eventually producing an uninterrupted spar deck."  Using a 1745 model (SLR0475) he notes that "The 1745 Establishment that introduced a longer quarterdeck and a more substantial forecastle also added a broad capping strip over the waist gunwales."

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66436.html

post-1194-0-77490000-1373166111_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-40495300-1373166304_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-21593500-1373166345_thumb.jpg

Using SLR0315, he notes that "With the 'true' frigate came a broadening of this capping strip into a gangway....From about 1757 quarterdecks were built with short extensions forward at each side, called on draughts 'the fixed part of the gangways', usually forming landings for the steps down into the waist.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66276.html

post-1194-0-36380900-1373166547_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-88338900-1373166565_thumb.jpg

In remaining years through the early part of the 19th century, you see the gangways raised to be flush with the deck (1782), fixed skid beams under the gangways (1790s) and closing of the waist in 1805 and after.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

The NMM does not have models of the Unicorn and Lyme, but Gardiner uses the Guadeloupe (also spelled Guadalupe) as one of the last of that design ordered in 1757 and launched in 1763.  This will likely be the design I go with when I build the Unicorn.

post-1194-0-29691800-1373167028_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-89605500-1373167049_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-83496800-1373167210_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-81033600-1373167240_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-77596100-1373167400_thumb.jpg

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info. The Guadeloupe was one of the ships that I looked at. My proposed layout of the waist, if observed from above, fits in with the Guadeloupe layout. The 'temporary' parts of  the gangways should only be two planks wide. Mine will be slighter wider to mask the bulkhead extensions. There should be a step up from the temporary to the fixed part of the gangway and again a further step up to the quarter deck. I won't be able to achieve that without rebuilding a great chunk of the hull - but starting from the beginning would be a different proposition. 

Your research, I feel, confirms my view that Coral have mixed an early hull with a much later superstructure.

Ian M.

Did you win the auction? 

No, Mike... :(

the winner won me just by another USD$10... 

argh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's fine.. let's wait for another auction and bid higher.. haha

Anyway, thanks for sharing these precious info here..

The Guadeloupe is really a good reference for the Unicorn

Edited by ZyXuz

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

No, Mike... :(

the winner won me just by another USD$10... 

argh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's fine.. let's wait for another auction and bid higher.. haha

Anyway, thanks for sharing these precious info here..

The Guadeloupe is really a good reference for the Unicorn

Sorry to hear that.  Good luck next time :)

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...