IJN Hatsuzakura by Landlubber Mike - FINISHED - Pit Road - 1/700 - PLASTIC - with FiveStar PE

42 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

should I first clear coat and then rig the ship?

I agree with Craig, coat first in very light coats, and rig after it's all cured and fully dry.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks guys - that’s what I was thinking  when it came to the rigging.  Seems the safer course.

Really appreciate all the kind words and encouragement.  I’ve learned a ton on this build.  The early portions like the bridge are rough in some places, but overall I like how it came out and will do better on the next one.  Got to practice with PE, tried using a filter coat, played with weathering enamels, etc.  I thought a destroyer would be a fairly simple subject to cut my teeth on, but man, there were a ton of nice details in the Five Star upgrade package.

I should have mentioned a couple of small details I added.  The life rings are pre-painted PE from Eduard - how cool is that!  Easy to install.  Also on the starboard side there is a rack along the rear deck structure.  Looks like racks like that held wood for repairs, so I cut little splinters of some leftover tanganyika from my Badger build, wiped them in wipe on poly to bring the wood a little life, then glued them down.  Nice little touch I think. 

If the model came out ok, I was thinking about waiting to put it in a waterline diorama setting until I had a few more of these, but I might put it on a base sooner rather than later.  I’m pretty happy with it so I think the waterline is a go and will look into how to do it at this scale.  The slightest bumps and touches bend pieces so having it on a base should give it a little more protection.

Last week I dusted off the 1/350 Shimakaze and started working on it.  After working in 1/700, the tiniest of the 1/350 is no sweat.  Looking forward  to bringing that one to life, but will probably add another 1/700 build as a side build.  I might have added a few 1/700 kits to the stash 🤪

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

My eyes are crossing just looking at that Mike. Nice job!

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I might have added a few 1/700 kits to the stash 🤪

Your funeral Mike:D Looking forward to watching you suffer.:ph34r:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

25 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Your funeral Mike:D Looking forward to watching you suffer.:ph34r:

Ha!  You know what's funny?  I actually enjoyed this build a lot.  My plane builds have been filled with frustrations from painting, breaking things and having to repair them, etc.  Then I recently tried a new paint on a couple of car builds and the paint ran too hot and it crazed the plastic.  This 1/700 build was fairly uneventful - just a lot of Optivisor work.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Great work Mike, I also remember enjoying my one and only 1/700 ship - something about  having everything in a  small area.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

9 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

just a lot of Optivisor work.

Probably stuff can only get so small in any scale and still be worked. I bought a pair of Veteran Models 1.1" Chicago pianos

28 mm AA gun.jpg

in 1/350 for my Houston and they are absolutely tiny! Both of them could easily fit onto a penny with room to spare the barrels look like ant legs! and are in a little package of their own to keep them from getting lost! If I can ever get to that build, those guns will certainly be as big, (or small if you will) a challenge as anything in 1/700.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

11 hours ago, lmagna said:

Probably stuff can only get so small in any scale and still be worked. I bought a pair of Veteran Models 1.1" Chicago pianos

28 mm AA gun.jpg

in 1/350 for my Houston and they are absolutely tiny! Both of them could easily fit onto a penny with room to spare the barrels look like ant legs! and are in a little package of their own to keep them from getting lost! If I can ever get to that build, those guns will certainly be as big, (or small if you will) a challenge as anything in 1/700.

Lou, are they resin with PE to attach?  I picked up a 1/350 IJN Ise carrier/battleship on eBay that was loaded with Veteran guns.  It's been a while since I looked at them, but I recall them looking very detailed.  Will wait for you to blaze the trail on putting these things together 🤨

Mike

Yes they are a combination of plastic and brass. Highly detailed and about 5mm in size when finished. Luckily there are only two of them. The Houston was scheduled for more, as well as surface radar but there was not enough time and she was pulled out of drydock before the work could be done. Probably for the better anyway as the 1.1 was not that good of an AA weapon anyway. I will also need to do the 8 Veteran Models 5"/25 open mounts that are not much bigger.

Boxart 1.1"/75CAL QUAD AA GUNS WITH MK-44 1.1" GUNS DIRECTOR VTW35005 Veteran Models

Boxart WWII US 5"/25cal Single Gun Open Mount w/Photo-Etch (4 pcs) VETW35002 Veteran Models

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Those will be really sweet!  Can't wait for you to start it!

Mike

12 hours ago, lmagna said:

Yes they are a combination of plastic and brass. Highly detailed and about 5mm in size when finished. Luckily there are only two of them. The Houston was scheduled for more, as well as surface radar but there was not enough time and she was pulled out of drydock before the work could be done. Probably for the better anyway as the 1.1 was not that good of an AA weapon anyway. I will also need to do the 8 Veteran Models 5"/25 open mounts that are not much bigger.

Boxart 1.1"/75CAL QUAD AA GUNS WITH MK-44 1.1" GUNS DIRECTOR VTW35005 Veteran Models

Boxart WWII US 5"/25cal Single Gun Open Mount w/Photo-Etch (4 pcs) VETW35002 Veteran Models

I've got both of those in my future brother, to go along with my Infini .50 cals..... any early war US Navy ship could be equipped with any of them or in some cases, all three.... Certain member of the Brooklyn class cruisers had four, those three, plus 20mm's... (didn't have them for long but they did have them in the run up to war)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Nice!  These look like some sweet upgrades.  Can't wait to see you put them together!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I got this one across the finish line with no impact to my mental stability - maybe that was always in question when I picked up the kit and aftermarket, but that's another story...

After clear coating with the Mr. Hobby matt clear, I let it sit for a few days while mentally preparing myself for the rigging.  I wasn't completely sure about the rigging for this ship (or Tachibana class of ships generally), but looked at other models including the one on the box for the Fivestar PE set and just went with what I thought looked correct.  I ended up using 0.047mm rigging thread (yep, 5/100 of a millimeter) - very fine tweezers a must!

Thanks as always for all the help, encouragement, and kind words.  I'm not scared off by 1/700, and in fact, have a decent stash that I'll be working through.  For whatever reason, I found this scale to be quite enjoyable and I'm less hard on myself than when it comes to other types of models.  Maybe because mistakes are pretty much invisible to the naked eye, who knows.

Thanks again!  Here are the final pictures.  At some point I'll put it in a waterline diorama but maybe I'll wait until I have a few more completed so I can do them all at once.

IMG_0747.JPG.fd077cb77ec0fea9c81310e192146974.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG.9b9b736653caf9305b9446604678f547.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG.9a618b582256f56d387f909710febb4e.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG.353196581cf70e2808f7730c4beb97c4.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG.7906a79470b82cc5f298ccde6560a98e.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG.cda61d39b7e162993eb47e50c19eb730.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG.4da38133044a6f5e5c7431cece1bb79c.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG.c96e7dd17ef44efa7423f04631de28ca.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG.eeb4b3211e7e1049f380e20f40f1f068.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG.3928e661f0a3d644b49690f887a9cb89.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG.4af0b75e8a92159953b3335f2089361d.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG.4ede6abe47a9a924d6ffe0323f0641df.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG.0a21872fd63d6c133b3e763814c2d828.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG.bcaa0e1bf50da7215d63e595c1edb4a9.JPG

Mike

Nicely done Mike, don't worry about your sanity, if your wife thinks the same as mine, we're apparently not right in the head for wanting to make small versions of bigger things🤪😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Really nicely detailed Mike. And then those shots of you holding the paint with the ship attached. :omg:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I got this one across the finish line with no impact to my mental stability

Are you certain Mike?:D Sanity may be a little like beauty, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. 

All kidding aside, this really came out nicely and it is truly one to be proud of. Looking forward the the next in the series.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the kind words.  

@lmagna, I haven't figured out which to do next (and am embarrassed to post the list of 1/700 kits in the stash).  I'm probably going to pick some of the more easier ones to do to get more experience, and then work my way up to the cruisers, battleships, and carriers.  I'll probably go with an auxiliary ship - I've got a few in the stash that look really cool with all the cranes and sub-decks and stuff - seaplane and submarine tenders, submarine and seaplane carriers, food supply ship, oil supply ship, etc.

Mike

she finished off looking superb Mike!   so much detail.........hard to imagine that they could have so much.  I couldn't see myself going that small......I'd likely make a dog's breakfast out of it :unsure:.......I tend to go the other way.  I have the Shokaku  in 1:500,  and the Missouri in 1:450,  that I got for Christmas....I still have the New Jersey too.....I think that's 1:350.  to be honest,  I'd love to get started on one,  but I have enough going on...the admiral would have me committed!  

how thin is the EZ line?  recently,  I rebuilt an old clock that we've had since we got married.   I salvaged the windings for the motor....I can't even guess how thin this is.......

989886469_1.jpg.cb4047b9832a262eb71cb9e6e1863e7d.jpg

I'm gonna try this on the Vendetta...there's quite a bit here.    you built a great model......I'm in awe .......very steady hands!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

I rebuilt an old clock that we've had since we got married.   I salvaged the windings for the motor....I can't even guess how thin this is

Depends on the power of the motor, it can be as thin as under .001"..... the stuff I use is just under .002"....

Quote:

Thanks Craig and Popeye, really appreciate it!

Popeye, I used this line from Q.W. Model.  It came in a variety of sizes, but I used the smallest version I had from them which was 0.047mm:

IMG_0773.JPG.c8b5100fa94a682cfb3138b2385a1923.JPG

I forget where I picked it up, but it was probably just added to another order that I was making.  It works very similarly to EZ-line, where it stretches very nice to make tight lines, or can be run to show a little slack (which I tried to do on the front lines of the destroyer).  I would say, however, this diameter seemed thinner than the EZ Line fine, which I used on my 1/48 F3F builds.  I don't know about using very fine copper wire for the rigging.  I suppose it could work if you found the right diameter, but I don't know if it would give you the right look if you needed lines with a little sag, etc.  Plus, any sort of kink would be almost impossible to completely straighten out, unlike thread or this kind of rubberized line.  I'm sure there are others that have used wire to good effect though, so I'll be curious to see how it works for you.

Here are some other lines I happened to pick up as well that I'll try out in the future.

IMG_0775.JPG.cea9175e98e9746c7fb5df5a1544420f.JPG

I came across a couple of build logs at 1/700 where the modeler used his wife's hair from her hairbrush.  My wife is blonde so that wasn't an option.  Maybe I should tell her I need to find myself a dark-haired girlfriend so I can have a free and endless supply of rigging line?  🤔

Mike

.047mm is equal to .002in That's two thousandths of an inch, about half the thickness of a piece of paper..... Actually it's a hair smaller than that but who's going to quibble over a ten thousandth of an inch....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

who's going to quibble over a ten thousandth of an inch....

IPMS judges, from what I hear. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane