Lady Nelson by glbarlow - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Beautiful result. Thank you so much for posting. I got some great tips and loved looking at all the awesome pictures. I look forward to following your other builds now.

Also, cutters are such awesome little ships.

5 hours ago, Jonny 007 said:

I got some great tips

Thanks for saying so.  I put a lot of detail in my logs and sometimes feel it’s too much.  But if it helps just a few people then it’s worth it.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

5 hours ago, DelF said:

I can't resist picking up your typos

Apparently I need either an editor or to turn off autocorrect OR I really did sand a rabbit 🐰 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 months later...

Great build Glenn, congratulations!

I am currently building her and have many of the same changes planned for her, most of the laser cut wood is terrible and needs to be replaced as you have mentioned. I wish I could have seen this sooner as I would have egged you on to show more especially the additional rigging. Thanks for showing what you did as it has given me some ideas and new techniques to utilise.

Thank you for these comments and likes. I’d do a few things different now (especially that winch), but I enjoyed this little kit. A quick and fun build. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

There are more photos of my finished model in the gallery here. HM Nelson. Not sure what you’re looking for exactly, hopefully it’s there. 

Regards,

Glenn

As I recall the plans I clued a belaying diagram by using letters/numbers on a line matched to the same letter number on the deck. 

I added a number of lines mostly because I thought the plans were skimpy. I used prior knowledge from other models to belay those. 

Regards,

Glenn

17 hours ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

Jim, I'd look at some of the historical books about rigging. It's a standardized thing and could probably be figured out given a book that talks about ship rigging of the era. 

I think you will find the book 'Rigging Period Fore-and-aft Craft' by Lennarth Peterson, in 29 A4 size pages of description and detailed illustration sets out in detail the rigging of a British Naval Cutter based upon a model in the Science Museum in London will provide all the information you are looking for. 

• 1 month later...

I'm new to MSW and just wanted to let you know I really appreciate the effort you put into your build log.  I don't have much experience with model ships yet, just finishing a 2nd one and the 1st one I've built in many years.  Your log has been very helpful.  I wish I'd looked at these build logs before I started the Syren.  Now I know!

I'll look at Chuck's plank bending method.  On my last I used a bending iron you can buy and learned you just need to wet the strips and apply heat, but I didn't figure out how to do an edgewise bend, and didn't even know you needed one until halfway thru.  Ended up forcing it, and it worked, but I knew there had to be a better way.

Also never heard of Vanguard models, so will look them up as well as some of the tools you used.  I can tell they would have been useful.  Many thanks!   You have no idea how helpful looking at this was.

David Salguero

Wichita, Kansas

Current Build:  Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston - Vanguard Models

Completed:  US Syren - Model Shipways

On Deck:  HM Cheerful - Syren Ship Models

15 hours ago, desalgu said:

Your log has been very helpful

Thank you for taking the time to tell me it was helpful. That has always been my primary goal of my logs. I have learned so much in this forum. I’m happy to try and help pass it along to others. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 4 months later...

I’ve learned so much having built Cheerful since this log was done. Still some good information I think. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 4 months later...

Admiralty Paints. French Blue, Red Ochre, Dull Black, Ironworks Black, Matte White.

Cornwall Boats in the UK is my source for Admiralty Paints.  

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if its frowned upon to revive an older topic, but I wanted to let you know that your log helped me in my own little journey. Currently in the process of deciding upon my next build, It's probably going to be The Lady Nelson. Thanks for this great build log! I've learned a lot and I enjoyed seeing your craftsmanship.

Cheers from the other side of the pont!

1 hour ago, TheDuckDetective said:

Thanks for this great build log!

Thank you for the comment, glad it was of help. Enjoy your build!

Regards,

Glenn

• 3 months later...

Sir,

Thanks for your work. I ordered this ship off ebay as my first build ever, but I think it's an older version of the kit as the box is red. For all I know it'll be in another language. Won't be here for about a week, sadly, but I'm getting some tools together and will look into Admiralty paints as I do like the richness of your paints. 

How do you avoid or minimize developing a paint line at the eater line where you mask?

Chris

34 minutes ago, GRATEFUL LITTLE PHISH said:

avoid or minimize developing a paint line at the eater line

Thanks for your comment. I exclusively use Tamiya tape, available on Amazon. Really excellent for the tight masking for our models. Multiple thin coats and smooth long brush strokes help prevent build up at the tape line. Hope that helps, main thing is to go slow, take your time, know the first model is about learning (as is my 12th for that matter) and have fun. 

Check Vanguard Models for your next build. @chris watton offers great, well made kits with quality materials. More importantly his plans and instructions are second to none. 

Regards,

Glenn

3 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Thanks for your comment. I exclusively use Tamiya tape, available on Amazon. Really excellent for the tight masking for our models. Multiple thin coats and smooth long brush strokes help prevent build up at the tape line. Hope that helps, main thing is to go slow, take your time, know the first model is about learning (as is my 12th for that matter) and have fun. 

Check Vanguard Models for your next build. @chris watton offers great, well made kits with quality materials. More importantly his plans and instructions are second to none. 

Thanks Glenn,

Provided I survive the first, I'll checknout Vanguard, though it reminds me of my index fund haha. 

. Chris

The first can be a rough go, stick with it, learn, follow other logs. It’ll be fun. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 7 months later...