Shaping bitt heads (I think that’s the term)

Not an easy challenge for the first time, and YT's method is certainly an option..

Take a look at the Knight heads for Chuck's  Winchelsea build.

image.png.67fd121ee9a9fda79b725b82d71ea26e.png

While the project comes with some laser cut starter pieces, imagine cutting out those shapes with small files and chisels.

A rotary tool might be useful, but requires a lot of caution because they tend to run away and cause damage.

image.png.ec5ebf27a6132a9191c81946bcd547cc.png

Then it is a matter of fine tuning them.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Cutting a template from steel certainly is an option, but may be rather challenge in itself to do. Unless you use the template as a scraper, some cardboard or a piece of styrene may be sufficient. I would draw the shape for both sides in the correct size on the computer, print it out (checking again for the correct dimensions) and glue it onto the part - then work your way up to the lines.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Great advice wefalck  and YT!

I realize now, I should have mentioned the template.. Getting a consistent shape would make it necessary.

—MICHAEL ROSE

I use a scalpel.  It works well for me.

I mark the piece with cut lines using a pencil and go from there.

F5D06521-17D4-4B45-B768-556D59A869E1.jpeg

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I think you will find most of the CNC work in the scratch build topics.

I think the biggest challenge for kit builders, for me anyway, regarding CNC, is getting the design of the part from the kit plans to a cutting file to drive the machine.

This has been true for me with my laser cutter.  I have spent more hours than I want, learning to use the software to get the kind of precision and results I want.

I have one of those little CNC machines that I haven't got out of the box yet.  Instead I went ahead and focused on my laser work, and it has kept me busy enough, that I haven't

been in the mood to tackle a new learning project.

While  most members here are always happy to help, they also want to spend their time building, and not teaching CNC  or laser cutting techniques.

They may not  get past the point where they talk about their $2,000 machine and software that is $100  monthly subscription.

A great example of the high end of CNC work is from a member here, HJX, is doing the CNC work for the Winchelsea kit, group project.

Your best resources may be another online group that is focused on CNC work.  Just because they may not be building model ships, the technique would be the same.

Welcome to MSW!

—MICHAEL ROSE

No CNC machine here but I have a mill.   I just haven't justified the cost of converting to CNC as I can pretty much do what I want with the CNC.  I do have a laser cutter and it's been worth the money, the learning curve, etc.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

17 hours ago, obsidean12 said:

What power is your laser?

I have a 50W tube in mine. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)