FINISHED -- F3F-1 and F3F-2 by Landlubber Mike - Accurate Miniatures 1/48 with aftermarket

7 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

so I probably should have added a retarder

Yeah, it gave you a bit of orange peel there from drying too fast....

The problem with recoating is getting the finish too thick,  Looks great and I like the subtle shading effect. 

I would experiment on scrap with some clear coats and see how far you can thin them for spraying yet still get them to level......

Beautiful yellow birds.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

9 hours ago, Egilman said:

Yeah, it gave you a bit of orange peel there from drying too fast....

The problem with recoating is getting the finish too thick,  Looks great and I like the subtle shading effect. 

I would experiment on scrap with some clear coats and see how far you can thin them for spraying yet still get them to level......

Beautiful yellow birds.....

Thanks!  Yeah, good learning experience for me.  Part of the problem is that I was getting dry tip, so more air was shooting out than varnish, which probably accelerated things before the varnish could level.  I saw a few videos where folks were suggesting adding a retarder is necessary for that product.  Never needed to on their paints, but looks like the varnish is a different animal.  From a normal viewing distance it doesn't look bad, just when you are up very close you can see it.

What do you think of the look on the cowl?  Too wet looking?  I was thinking of perhaps spraying Gunze semi-gloss clear coat on it - the rattle can is fantastic and nicely self levels.  That would tone things down a bit and possibly help smooth out some of the orange peel effect.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

it's probably your best bet.   I've never used a varnish,  but then again,  I'm an enamel guy and not an acrylic user.   my experience with metallic colors...I've had better luck with ship hulls,  than with aircraft.    your results came out really good :)   with all that you've done,  it might not be good to try to remove .......it would make matters worse.  forward  would be better ;) ........sweet look'in aircraft!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks man, really appreciate the nice words and the advice!  Even though these are fairly simple planes, the color schemes are anything but.  Maybe I should have started with something easier, but I can say that these we have been a big learning experience for me.  I'm slowly getting better and more facile with the airbrush, but I need to figure out a lighting solution, as the lights in my spray booth are super bright LEDs, and it gets tricky to see if I have sprayed too much or not enough paint on the model with certain colors like metals, paint colors on similar undercoat colors, etc.  My next plane model (I think it will be the F4F-4 Wildcat converted to an FM-1, mostly because the box is in rough shape), only will have two or three colors, and no belly bands, chevrons, two-color cowls, etc. so that should be easier.

Vallejo Metal Varnish.  Last night I sprayed the top sections of the bottom wings with Vallejo Metal Varnish, this time adding Vallejo's thinner to the cup.  Worked so much better, went on smooth without clogging the tip.  So, while I've had great success shooting Vallejo paints, I think their finishes need thinner or flow improver.  When I first went to use the airbrush, I was barely getting any paint flow.  Took off the tip and cleaned it, and a small sheet of dried varnish came out (despite a thorough cleaning at the end of the prior session).  When I went to clean the airbrush at the end of last night's session, it still was shooting good and clear.

Top Wing. I also ended up top coating the top of the top wing (the yellow wing).  I debated whether to go with flat or semi-gloss, but just went with Tamiya flat from the rattle can.  The newer planes in museums seem to have a pretty glossy finish, but I wasn't sure if that was because they were using modern paints and finishes, wanted to protect the planes, make them shinier for museum visitors, etc.  I kinda like the flat colored sections as a contrast to the aluminum, as otherwise, the whole model would just be way too shiny.  

Cowl.  I then took a chance and sprayed the flat against the red cowl of the F3F-1.  It not only dulled down the "wet" look of the red, but also seems to have minimized the orange peel appearance.  So that was a relief.  Next I'll do the same for the belly band and the tail, and similarly tackle the F3F-2.

Just about at the finish line on these.  Looking forward to knocking them out and moving on to the next subject and hopefully avoid some of the mistakes I made on these.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

that would depend on what your going for.   museum planes have been basically 'polished'.....they made them look good.   a plane on a carrier deck,  or on a runway in the field is another.....they look weather worn,  beaten and abused.   the wethered model looks super........some are so life like.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Finished the F3Fs last night.  Hooray!  Funny how the final details always seem to take me 10x longer to complete than I would have expected.

IMG_0222.JPG.398ec343fddc208210340a328f11dc5e.JPG

A few post-build notes:

1.  As I mentioned earlier, I decided to add a flat finish to the belly bands and painted areas of the cowl.  I probably could have gone with semi-gloss, but I like the contrast against the tiny aluminum.  

2.  For the rigging, I used the kit's PE parts.  I wouldn't say it was an easy process to include them, but they went on much easier than the PE rigging set from Starfighter that I used on my F4B-4 and P-6E.  The material was stiffer, and Accurate miniatures added slots to the wings into which you could slide the rigging.  

3.  I added pitot tubes to the right N support.  I ended up using pieces of bug pins for the tubes.  The pins (used to pin bugs in bug collection) are stainless steel and come in various very thin sizes.  The N support already had what looked like the wiring and other hardware, so I just found a pin that seemed to roughly match in size.  

4.  The radio antennae wires were made using EZ-Line fine.  It worked like a real charm.  I know some people pooh-pooh it because it's more flat than round, but I think you can only tell that under extreme magnification, at least for the fine size.  It attaches easily with CA and stretches (supposedly up to 7 times its length) so you can get a nice taut line. Seemed much easier than stretched sprue or other materials.  It was a little complicated in that the wires that run from each wing tip to the tail connect ahead of the tail and then run in a combined line to the tail, but I managed to get it to work.

5.  The kit has you attach the upper wings, then attach the bottom wings and supports, suggesting that you try to do it all at the same time.  Of course, it's much harder said than done.  On both planes, the right side ended up a couple of millimeters higher than the other.  If I had to do it again, I would probably have attached the bottom wings to the fuselage pre-painting, to avoid any seams and to better set the dihedral.   I think if I had taken that approach, all I would have had to do is manage the angle of the top wing (as opposed to trying to glue the two bottom wings and the top wing, position the struts, etc. all at the same time).  Learning experience for next time.  

I just wanted to thank everyone who has been looking in and helping me work my way through this.  I really appreciate all the help so thank you!  

For my next plane, I'll be doing the Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat kit as the FM-1 version using the Wolfpack wing fold conversion set.  Simpler in the sense that it has limited rigging and a single wing, but I have the big Aires resin/PE detail set and the Wolfpack set, so it will be challenging in other ways.

image.png.1b7a4456a794b18404ccadf65ff27ea1.png

Mike

Some final pictures of the F3F-1:

IMG_0220.JPG.7b04c1be8f814990cfdd0c40e81813b5.JPGIMG_0219.JPG.820b5d6cb5845e2282e37b9f91faa61a.JPGIMG_0218.JPG.693a2f9f9b23b02c65843e425cd640f0.JPGIMG_0217.JPG.8bcf31b8a8788ccd95f86667cdec2ae1.JPGIMG_0216.JPG.36e7f9fbcf7b2d4997721b74fd3b5f1d.JPGIMG_0215.JPG.12f73c5e14d42bd1469ce8b2a797e366.JPGIMG_0214.JPG.8b3ca6b72d6d9d26e537525a8facb46b.JPGIMG_0213.JPG.c07eedc452317ff38195e2d501212e2b.JPG

Mike

Some final pictures of the F3F-2:

IMG_0212.JPG.dbc4720e95bfc38cff41cd43c89aa4df.JPGIMG_0211.JPG.41cb504a2541472c4e9c9244239df8d2.JPGIMG_0210.JPG.88f93c836576d6d90f51e83de47eb126.JPGIMG_0209.JPG.4433c9be10dcd08ec29156026421e8e6.JPGIMG_0208.JPG.73a4cd7c0df6c271c76642d8fe8c9e31.JPGIMG_0207.JPG.33a0dbc55f1352859ecbe39482800ecf.JPGIMG_0206.JPG.4e19bbb438cbb0e9db582e93eba35ddf.JPGIMG_0205.JPG.68788bcf9039d4ff1499712ff6e3e035.JPG

Mike

Excellent - Really really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow Mike, you got two good looking beauties there!! great job, onwards to the F4 wildcat, cant wait 😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Wow Mike! Your planes turned out spectacular. Great job on those.

The real professional model builders carefully cut the excess clear carrier film along the color separation of the decal before placing it in water. They do this with a straight edge and a new scalpel blade, only cutting lightly, just enough to separate the clear film from the colored. It's painstaking and tedious, but it gives the best results without any silvering. In addition, the pros don't use a clear coat under the decal either. They just rub the area where the decal is to be placed to polish it a little before applying the decal.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the kind words.  I still have a long way to go, but slowly getting better thanks to all your helpful tips and suggestions.  

@CDW, thanks for posting that info along.  Interesting that the pros don't use a clear coat under the decal.  I can see cutting off the excess clear carrier film on things like insignias, but numbering and lettering must be a real process, yikes!  I almost think it would be easier to paint certain decals rather than cut them out.

Speaking about painting rather than using decals, @yvesvidal asked about how I painted the insignia.  I used the Montex stencils as I mentioned a page or two earlier, but last night I watch a youtube video by Plasmo who cut out his own in doing a Buffalo (very similar plane).  All he used was a circular cutter, a scalpel, and Tamiya masking tape.  Easy to prepare the disk masks using the circular cutter.  For the stars, he used the kit decals as a template - he put the Tamiya tape on top of the decal, then traced out the star using a scalpel.  Took him like 30 seconds (probably would take me 30 minutes, but seemed very easy to do).

This is the circular cutter I used by the way (and Plasmo was using) - inexpensive, and cuts circles as small as a little under 1/2"/1cm.

image.png.09c575365fd7b869868d6472ce7961a8.png

Mike

3 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Absolutely Wonderful!!

They are just begging for a section of planked carrier deck to sit on.

Roger

Thanks Roger, that's really nice of you.  With the pitot tube and the rigging, I feel like I need some kind of displace base just to keep them protected, let alone, to show in a diorama setting.  I knocked the pitot tube off one of them last night when taking the final pictures, and it took me 20 minutes to reattach :( 

Mike

Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with the daily progress of your builds like I did in the beginning Mike. But it is hard to keep up when you have the attention span of a two year old like I have had of late. They both came out FANTASTIC. Truly works to be proud of! Hope you work out the display aspects as it would be a shame to have to hide them away somewhere,

Almost makes me want to build my Sikorsky JRS-1

Sikorsky JRS-1 (S-43) [The Boat] (Plastic model) Package1

No................. better not even try! 😞 I need to finish up stuff that was started way too long ago!

Congratulations on not one, but two fine builds.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Lou, thanks for the kind words!  Really appreciate it.  You didn't miss much the last few weeks except for me working out a bunch of new cuss words on things like the cowl, the pitot tubes, etc. :)

You should definitely build that JRS-1!  What a cool looking bird!  I tend to like the quirky stuff.  I'm not itching to build in 1/72 any time soon, but I've been looking for one of those since you mentioned it a few months ago.  They are pretty rare for sure!  

Looking at plane "boats" I did come across the Airfix Walrus which is now in the stash.  Ugly looking thing but I like it!  Even found a cool catapult set to build with it to set it up as a diorama when I get a little more skilled.  I'll blame you for inspiring me if my wife finds it :) 

image.thumb.png.a127c517fad3727e6ffabd7b19f1409a.png

image.png.866feecc9217a0fd48002bb9467e394b.png

Mike

I agree with you on the Walrus. That one looks especially nice. I agree, the catapult makes the perfect display stand I wonder if they would have had the landing gear attached like that when operating from a ship with a catapult though? I believe they disconnect at the hub and swing up into the lower wing for storage when operating from water. I am not certain but I don't think they could be folded or lowered while in flight. But come to think of it they would have to be lowered when the wings are folded as they would not fit into their "Proper" folded location until the wings are open and locked! 

I have several flying BOATS, and even a couple of air SHIPS. I kind of like the unusual also I guess.

If you blame me as "Inspiration" then at least let me heal up a little more so I can hobble a little faster or give me a BIG advance warning so I can get as much of a head start as possible. Right now she could probably make it all of the way from your coast to mine before I could get from my living room to the back yard!:blink: 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

9 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

As I mentioned earlier, I decided to add a flat finish to the belly bands and painted areas of the cowl.  I probably could have gone with semi-gloss, but I like the contrast against the tiny aluminum.

Good choice, they always look better with some contrast between the shiny skin with more flat looking markings and insignias.... Semi Gloss would probably been more photographically correct but flat makes the skin pop...

Beautiful work my friend, best looking F3F's I've ever seen...

Great Job finishing...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

Almost makes me want to build my Sikorsky JRS-1

Good Deal! Been missin ya brother....

Quote:

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

Been missin ya brother....

I'm around, just slowed down a bit for a while again.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

Good choice, they always look better with some contrast between the shiny skin with more flat looking markings and insignias.... Semi Gloss would probably been more photographically correct but flat makes the skin pop...

Beautiful work my friend, best looking F3F's I've ever seen...

Great Job finishing...

Thanks man, really appreciate the kind words.  I'm slowly getting the hang of this plastic stuff - a lot trickier than it looks!

24 minutes ago, G.L. said:

Beautiful work Mike.

Thank you!  Really appreciate it!

23 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I'm around, just slowed down a bit for a while again.

Get better soon Lou!  I'll try to delay my wife as much as I can :) 

Mike

56 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Get better soon Lou!

Yes, get well Lou, as you've  been missed 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Congrats, again 2 beautiful models built

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

11 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Yes, get well Lou, as you've  been missed 😉

Same from me Lou.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great looking, birds, Mike.   Love how they came out.

Lou,

I hope you get feeling better and can get to your models.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys, really appreciate the kind words!

Mike

Sorry I've not come back soon Mike - been busy with other hobbies. 

You've done an absolutely fabulous job of those two and at first, I thought I preferred the red cowl model, but then as I kept scrolling, I switched to the blue.

And then I looked at them both again and couldn't decide - they're just both fantastic. Well done!

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

Tom, no worries at all and many thanks for the kind words.  I had a really hard time choosing the color scheme myself as these planes came in all different colors, including white, black, green, yellow, etc.  Some had the full cowl painted like the ones I did, others had only half the cowl painted.  I'd probably still be trying to decide if I had only one kit in the stash :)

Great start on the Vaporetto by the way.  Looking forward to watching you progress on that one!

Mike