MRAP ATV by CDW - FINISHED - Rye Field - 1:35 Scale

This is the Rye Field Models, Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) in 1:35 scale

The following description of the vehicle is borrowed from Wikipedia:

"The Oshkosh M-ATV is a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle developed by the Oshkosh Corporation for the MRAP All Terrain Vehicle (M-ATV) program. Intended to replace M1114 HMMWVs, it is designed to provide the same levels of protection as the larger and heavier previous MRAPs but with improved mobility."

Rye Field is a relative newcomer (to me) to the plastic modeling scene. The examples of their models I own are highly detailed and very well presented. The instructions are more like a high quality magazine, with 30 pages of well written instructions, full color diagrams, and reference photos.

Following is an excellent link with photographs of the real vehicle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M-ATV#/media/File:Fort_Irwin_National_Training_Center_-_M-ATV_-_3.jpg

I shall begin this build within the next day or so.

DSCN3004.thumb.JPG.b9f66ddf3dcd18f8bc4196902eb9a340.JPGDSCN3005.thumb.JPG.31ad7432d1a1d0dcfd6f90c11a5ab07f.JPGDSCN3006.thumb.JPG.eb4cbe2872e307733127e13bdb319a9b.JPG

I'm in.....

That looks like a beautifully detailed kit.... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

10 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I'm in.....

My thoughts exactly! Other than ooooh... gotta get one......

Will watch with interest as this was on my wish list.

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Craig, I'm in, brother. 

I just picked up a Panda Cougar 6x6 Joint EOD Rapid Response Vehicle (JERRV). Looks good but very heavy casting sprues holding parts. Instructions have 1 paint call out for Mr Color C-19. And the slots and tabs need work, sometimes. Meaning one side might fit fine and the other one needs refining to fit properly. Lots of extra time tuning up the fit. I started a Stryker from AFV and if the parts don't fit, it's usually the builder's fault.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, Egilman said:

I'm in.....

7 hours ago, ASAT said:

My thoughts exactly! Other than ooooh... gotta get one......

7 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Will watch with interest as this was on my wish list.

Slog

42 minutes ago, Canute said:

Craig, I'm in, brother. 

I just picked up a Panda Cougar 6x6 Joint EOD Rapid Response Vehicle (JERRV). Looks good but very heavy casting sprues holding parts. Instructions have 1 paint call out for Mr Color C-19. And the slots and tabs need work, sometimes. Meaning one side might fit fine and the other one needs refining to fit properly. Lots of extra time tuning up the fit. I started a Stryker from AFV and if the parts don't fit, it's usually the builder's fault.

Glad all of you are aboard. Will get the show on the road shortly.

27 minutes ago, Canute said:

I've got a couple of Panda kits but have never looked inside. Now, after hearing about yours, will need to look.

***I took a look inside one of my Panda kits and it looks great. Huge part count for this one.

DSCN3007.thumb.JPG.1c64d8dc28dc5ef1604bd9af32e13c9f.JPGDSCN3008.thumb.JPG.bdc1558d3f853c3873d569fdaf1cb45d.JPG

Craig you're killing me.  When I went into plastic ships, I said that would be it.  Then I added planes and said no way would I add cars.  Fast forward and I have a ton of car kits, so I've said I'm not going to build armor.  I'm of course going to follow your build, but I'm sending my wife your way to explain when armor kits start showing up on the doorstep 🤐

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I guess I will just have to squeeze in there somewhere! I am beginning to think I am in the wrong timezone. By the time I get to read that the build is going to happen the room is overflowing with watchers!

I would have to join in the low opinion on Panda, in my case re-boxed as Dragon. In my case it is not so much bad fit but just everything is thick and out of scale and so much is missing all together that should have been included in the scale being built. But in my case it was, and is the only game in town.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

"Corky blimy"   I'm here.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Just now, lmagna said:

I would have to join in the low opinion on Panda, in my case re-boxed as Dragon. In my case it is not so much bad fit but just everything is thick and out of scale and so much is missing all together that should have been included in the scale being built. But in my case it was, and is the only game in town.

My apology to Ken, my old brain just wasn't firing on all cylinders today. He was talking about Panda, and I went and posted a photo of a Bronco model. Sheesh

Anyway, here is a Panda kit I intended to show Ken. 

I think what you will find is that some of these companies such as Panda can come in various varieties quality. Researching build reviews can be your best friend to know ahead of time what you will get/not get. This Panda kit shown here is of a very high quality, so this is a good example of how the quality can vary. I'm guessing that Panda buys other factory products and packages them in their own box/label. This kit looks a lot like the contents found in a Rye Field or Bronco kit. Very good quality.

DSCN3011.thumb.JPG.6468cfbe6281d9450e305da83f2184a6.JPGDSCN3012.thumb.JPG.e9105f3a89622c74ec3ebc6dada79567.JPG

Craig, I figured it out pretty quick. I like the Engineer vehicles and decided to go with the big EOD vehicle to start, since the task is ubiquitous to the Army, Marines and AF. And the UK also uses it. Couldn't find too many builds, just unboxing reviews. I pulled the plug on the build, but may get back to it in the Fall.

Got some higher priority builds of refrigerator cars used up and down the US East Coast. They've been on the back burner for a while, collecting parts (sounds familiar, eh?). It's a group build, mostly kit bashing. The cars are Fruit Growers Express line, a consortium of some 23 major railroads and their subsidiaries. Gotta get those Florida oranges up north so the big cities have their orange juice. They hauled a lot of other fresh fruits and vegetables, too. Think they were the 3rd largest fresh produce hauler, behind Pacific Fruit Express and Santa Fe Refrigerator Dispatch.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Sorry I'm late guys, is there room between OC and Lou?

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Lou

Did I read you said (somewhere) that you had a Rye Field Tiger tank with all the interior details? This is one I intend to build soon, it's Michael Wittmann's Tiger I

DSCN3009.thumb.JPG.ce6c09f5805a97b53eedf3c165f18faa.JPGDSCN3010.thumb.JPG.454807d8955c228a6f8486426418bc4e.JPG

I once  loaned a book from a library  on this very subject  many years ago  - what an amazing stratergist  he was.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 minutes ago, CDW said:

Welcome, Edward. We have two Lou's here.

Lou is on the left and Lou is on the right  easy to tell the difference  because Lou is not on the left he is on the right and Lou is on left,  yep thats right.🤪

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

13 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Lou is on the left and Lou is on the right  easy to tell the difference  because Lou is not on the left he is on the right and Lou is on left,  yep thats right.🤪

OC.

Hey Abbott !  😁

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I once  loaned a book from a library  on this very subject  many years ago  - what an amazing stratergist  he was.

OC.

The commander that really interests me is Kurt Knispel. Very young, this commander scored more than 160 confirmed tank kills, even upwards of 190 kills before his death in combat in 1945. One story says after his tank was blown out by a Russian T-34/85, his crew bailed out but he stayed on board, found the tank that killed his own through his periscope, then fired and killed the tank that destroyed his! He fell into disfavor after he stopped an SS guard from mistreating a Russian POW. Afterward, he was shunned by the German hierarchy and never was awarded medals or recognition he should have received.

14 hours ago, CDW said:

Lou

Did I read you said (somewhere) that you had a Rye Field Tiger tank with all the interior details? This is one I intend to build soon, it's Michael Wittmann's Tiger I

No, I have a Takom king Tiger with the full interior....

5BED55C2-6F5E-4F9D-AC27-781988A3D01D.jpeg

Better late then never.  I'm in... I'll go to the standing room only area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Construction begins with the chassis and drive components. These sub assemblies consist of more than 40 individual parts. The parts are small and extremely well molded. Only a small amount of cleanup is needed on parting lines, and no parts yet have had any sink marks. The steering parts appear to be movable assemblies. This vehicle has very beefy chassis rails.

DSCN3013.thumb.JPG.e0ebf7c4b6b1c97ca49e7d6517bd3ea4.JPG

Wow, the detail on those parts is stunning.  Very nice!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

They look better than a lot of the resin upgrade sets from years ago.  

Mike

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

They look better than a lot of the resin upgrade sets from years ago.  

I agree. In the past, I bought resin upgrades that looked nowhere near as good as this, straight out of the box. That's the point I was trying to make in another post. There are model kits out there right now that don't need anything aftermarket, they are perfectly sufficient right out of the box.