MRAP ATV by CDW - FINISHED - Rye Field - 1:35 Scale

Well done on the comms gear.   The casual observer probably won't see it, you and those of following along will know it's there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well done with the installation of your comms boxes. Surprised the seats are a solid sand color.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Good to see  you back on this  Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

A nice set of side mirrors. Delicate. Must resist dumb thumbing it down the road during this build. Maybe leave the doors off till the end?

D0FB6506-3C94-46F5-88A0-D3FA8DBE3EF9.thumb.jpeg.8f6003a5ea5900f57dcc8393985d5158.jpegB69C3066-9204-4E01-872C-3027352D781F.thumb.jpeg.afef32b9d2add881fd7f8f0d43ecf100.jpeg

Detail inside the doors not shabby either. Suicide doors. That’s what we used to call rear doors that opened from front to back. My old ‘64 Lincoln Continental had them like that. What a beast that car.

00306BCD-25D0-4B1C-A7F6-F590A7C7CD9E.thumb.jpeg.104caf110e0026425874a25b98dc5fc0.jpeg

That is quite the model Craig. Great detail. 👍

Definitely need the seat belts and shoulder harnesses. Masking tape strips work for the airplane folks, why not for armor. 😄

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Masking tape strips work for the airplane folks, why not for armor.

Racing car models as well, tiedowns for truck trailers, that's where I learned it from...

50 minutes ago, CDW said:

I saw a Russian modeler who made his seatbelts and harnesses like that and they looked great. I’ll act on his idea.

They've been doing this for decades, long before there were AM companies and PE parts.... the only thing PE brings to the table is decently scaled latches, clasps & buckles but those could be done with fine wire and look just as good....

Excellent idea much easier in the budget as well....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

You doing a crew mate  - some lovely  figure sets  out there now.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

17 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

You doing a crew mate  - some lovely  figure sets  out there now.

OC.

Don’t know for sure. When I get finished with this I’ll probably be ready to move on to something different (as usual). Maybe later on I’ll get my figure building mojo and do some. I’ve got them.

If you don’t like to do photo etch this is probably not a model you’ll want to tackle. It has a lot of photo etch and there are no optional plastic parts to take the place of the photo etch. Do or die. It was slow going clipping, filing, folding, and gluing photo etch today. In the end, it seems worth it.

959A9CF6-D1C6-4D63-9405-039F1B1EF6DC.jpeg

01ECEBAD-16F8-4A47-995B-665650C730BF.jpeg

79DBFB17-DF4B-40CC-989C-8B0B81A15D77.jpeg

22BD370C-B325-487F-92B9-AE19C09D0918.jpeg

D54EEE54-45E3-4F68-ADBE-2A362AEC82B5.jpeg

Thats looking so nice Craig  - and yes  the pe  makes  it  shine.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I feel about 90% certain I’ll build another one of these albeit a slightly different version, the CROWS II. On the next one will apply some lessons learned building the first. In addition, this kit has been a pleasure to build but it is tedious and part count intensive. Ryefield did an excellent work producing a kit with this level of detail inside one box.

C0CCA8A4-0D40-4E56-92D9-94457031DDB9.jpeg

514AB0A5-8BD8-46CE-A4E6-4F752EC0639A.jpeg

That's an amazing amount of detail, Craig.  Well worth the price of admission.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Rye field really do make some amazing kits.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Almost ready to take the modular components to the paint shop. Before paint it’s necessary to do a lot of dry fit testing to make sure all adjustments are made before paint. Flipping it over a bit, you can see the angular armor plating on the bottom of the chassis that’s designed to protect the vehicle and occupants from a land mine detonation.

27189ECD-176D-45FE-94AB-05BF88F1D297.jpeg

7C6FE978-C137-4E4D-8491-B87EDA5C71DD.jpeg

787926B9-5158-4C8A-9341-8F1370D4C73E.jpeg

There was a report I read a few years ago about these vehicles....

One was part of a patrol somewhere in Afghanistan, and hit an IED, a LARGE IED... It was blown into the air, flipped several times, and landed in the crater the explosion caused.. In the process it lost it's front suspension and the engine, essentially it was a pile of scrap iron sitting in a hole... The five man crew survived (all alive with serious injuries but not life threatening) and was sitting inside it in the hole inside.... The enemy drove off the rest of the  patrol and for 13 hours put fire on the destroyed MRAP trying to kill the crew... The fire included at least three hits with RPG's.... None of them penetrated the MRAP...

Eventually the battalion responded, counter attacked and relived the position, all the crew survived, when the attack ended as the relief force moved in the enemy was clear of the area, there were over 200 dead enemy surrounding the MRAP's position... The enemy ran out of ammunition (and troops) trying to kill the crew...

This is one tough TOUGH vehicle...  

One of the most effective patrol vehicles ever designed... (that's why they were distributed to police forces nationwide when we pulled out of Afghanistan)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

3 minutes ago, Egilman said:

There was a report I read a few years ago about these vehicles....

That’s an amazing story EG. Thanks for sharing it.

Looking for video references, I found a video on YouTube where a man bought one of these for his own personal use. Said he paid $100k for it. I presume he got it from a surplus auction because the price he paid is nowhere near what I read the military pays for these, between $500k and $1M. Anyway I was happy to see the model I’d practically identical to the vehicle in the video. I’ll find the video and post a link to it.

Wow, there's a ton of detail in that jewel. Rye Field does a beautiful job and your skills enhance it. 👍👍

Ken

Incredible work and detail Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

23 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Incredible work and detail Craig.

OC.

Thanks OC

I am not going to pose the doors in an open position with this one. Maybe I will on the next one, but for now took a quick swipe at a set of belts and harnesses for the seats. Won’t be able to see much with the doors closed anyhow.

Also, the body parts all have paint on them now and am in the process of painting the small details like mirrors, marker lights, etc. I can see this one being finished in another day or so.

AD5D822F-7BE9-4568-8CAF-C2565539E1E4.jpeg

9989378F-EC07-43EE-96C7-0C77AD96F61C.jpeg