ENGLISH MAN O'WAR by Robert Taylor - FINISHED - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC

Ok Robert I am going to start practicing making your sail technique later this week. I have to get my 3 mm modeling wire. You said you only sew it into the sides of the sails, not top or bottom, right?  I am going to wait to sew in the lines until after I see if my practice sails come out. Will sew the lines in the ones I actually make for the ship. 

43 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Ok Robert I am going to start practicing making your sail technique later this week. I have to get my 3 mm modeling wire. You said you only sew it into the sides of the sails, not top or bottom, right?  I am going to wait to sew in the lines until after I see if my practice sails come out. Will sew the lines in the ones I actually make for the ship. 

Hi Bill, 

Yes only sew the modelling wire into the sides, top and bottom get sowed as normal, as top will be rigged to yards, and the two bottom corners will probably have blocks sowed onto them to be able to have them rigged, depending on your preference or the instructions in from your kit.

Thanks Robert. That is what I thought I understood. My instructions are not real clear on if there are blocks tied or sowed to the bottom corners. May just be thread tied directly to the bottom corners. There is extremely limited text explaining anything. You just have to study the picture. See what you think. 

D5E402E2-3536-4C45-A61B-661C5B3F7179.jpeg

2A7851D4-2407-4BBB-B0DC-A5FC869CA769.jpeg

C9F1F4AC-BB27-4E26-AC71-36BB1205CE32.jpeg

7 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Thanks Robert. That is what I thought I understood. My instructions are not real clear on if there are blocks tied or sowed to the bottom corners. May just be thread tied directly to the bottom corners. There is extremely limited text explaining anything. You just have to study the picture. See what you think. 

D5E402E2-3536-4C45-A61B-661C5B3F7179.jpeg

2A7851D4-2407-4BBB-B0DC-A5FC869CA769.jpeg

C9F1F4AC-BB27-4E26-AC71-36BB1205CE32.jpeg

Hi Bill, 

Very similar to my own, being a Revell Kit. In mine I have followed the instructions and have blocks rigged to the yards, but I have also still to rigg the blocks to the sails.

In most cases I think it's more down to the individual preference whether sails are just rigged with thread or if you want to add rigging blocks for mor authenticity. 

Here's a pic of my instructions albeit the blocks that come with this kit are clearly I identified.

And another pic of blocks I bought and tied to my Golden Hind kit I finished 3 months or so ago.

Myself I prefer to rigg blocks to the sails and take it from there. 

20200803_082154.jpg

20200506_144423.jpg

20200517_101042.jpg

Thanks Robert. I really like your sails and adding the block at the bottom corners. Are you still hand sewing them?  In that one close up where you show the block, your stitching is excellent!  It looks like you have two rows of stitches along the bottom edge, and maybe the sides also. Is that where you add the 3mm wire on the sides?  I like the wood color blocks as well. Still not sure if Ravell included enough of the plastic ones in the kit to rig the sails that way but if not I have a bunch left over from previous builds. I will just use them rather than buy new custom wood or metal ones. However I will paint them wood color instead of the standard Revell brown plastic. I am still studying the pictures in the instructions to determine the different lines in relation to the sails. It is hard to tell if the sails between the masts and at the bow are hung on the previously installed standing rigging or if a second line is run for the sail. How about you fly over here from Scotland and help me rig this thing? 😀

14 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Thanks Robert. I really like your sails and adding the block at the bottom corners. Are you still hand sewing them?  In that one close up where you show the block, your stitching is excellent!  It looks like you have two rows of stitches along the bottom edge, and maybe the sides also. Is that where you add the 3mm wire on the sides?  I like the wood color blocks as well. Still not sure if Ravell included enough of the plastic ones in the kit to rig the sails that way but if not I have a bunch left over from previous builds. I will just use them rather than buy new custom wood or metal ones. However I will paint them wood color instead of the standard Revell brown plastic. I am still studying the pictures in the instructions to determine the different lines in relation to the sails. It is hard to tell if the sails between the masts and at the bow are hung on the previously installed standing rigging or if a second line is run for the sail. How about you fly over here from Scotland and help me rig this thing? 😀

Hi Bill, 

Firstly I must say that this set of sails I bought, but they were expensive thus my decision to make my own. 

Secondly I can see from your instructions your kit does have blocks with it regards to the bowsprit sails etc.. so it may just depend whether you want to swap them for wooden ones or just paint them,  I  would just paint them like you have decided mate, saves a lot of unnecessary spending as I have used the plastic ones with this kit.

Normally sails will be attached to the running rigging which should be of a tan or brown colour thread, not the standing rigging which is usually black thread, so if you have not started your running rigging you may need to check bk on your rigging instructions to when to do it stage by stage. 

P.s. 

Just send me over your private jet and I will happily come over to help you out ✈😉

That is what I was thinking on which rigging. I have not started the running yet, which I knew is tan color. Should finish the standing soon, then going to set the ship aside while I practice the different handmade sail techniques to see which I can do the best. 

I  love building these ships but I know I still have so much to learn. With each build I have that “oh that’s how they do that moment!” Yesterday I had to take down a fair amount of standing rigging I determined I did wrong after studying the instructions more. Will fix it right today. I am not the sort with being happy with just leaving it wrong, even though I am the only one that would know. 
By the way my private jet is landing at Inverness airport to pick you up tomorrow morning. Could not get clearance for Edenbourgh!  😀

Bill, I am still learning as well, but I have decided that anything I can't do authentically, I will find another way to do it and still making the ship look as  authentic as I can without anything being shabby or poor. Sometimes we need to cut our cloth accordingly to what we can and cannot do in all aspects of life.

I too love building these ships, the architecture, the rigging, the sails and of course the historical aspect attached to each one, bringing history to life is a labour of love for me. I have my late father to thank for that, as we always watched the old swashbuckler films when I was child, and that's when I started to build these kits albeit with a lot less patience then lol..

Same here Robert. As I mentioned it had been about 50 years since I built one of the models (I am 68 now). Kids, work, life in general just did not provide the luxury of being able to devote so much time to a hobby. Now that I am back at it my first was the USS Constitution, then the Cutty Sark I am building now, and then I have the Man O War and Heller HMS Victory ships unopened. This should cover me for a few years. With each build and the help from this web site, and people like you, I learn so much. Hopefully by the time I get to Victory or Man O War I am good enough to do them justice. 

Robert do you have any photos of your sail technique completed and on a ship?  I have my 3mm wire and cloth. Ready to practice. When I originally read this build log I thought the pictures of the example completed ship was your’s with your sail technique. But looking back now I see they are of a ship Thunder included in his comment (I think if I am reading it correctly). And then near the end of the log you say that the sail with the block is a sail you purchased. So I am not sure if there is a picture included in this build log showing one of your sails completed and attached to the ship. If there is, tell me which one to refer to. Just want to see a finished example so I have a reference to aim toward. 
Thanks Robert

Bill

Bill, 

The picture of the Sail I submitted at the end of my Golden Hind is a completed kit. I may have bought those sails, but I had to insert the modelling wire down the sides without bursting the stitching which was very tricky, then rig the sails up to the ship. 

You can go to my log on here for my Airfix 1/72 Golden Hind kit, which has all the appropriate photos and stages.

Robert.

Thanks Robert. I did go to your Golden Hind build log. Absolutely beautiful!  Now I see why you enjoy building these ships. Your painting is incredible. I hope I can come anywhere close when I do my Man O War and HMS Victory. Just a couple questions about your sails after looking at the Golden Hind log. I included a few of your pictures for my questions. In the picture of the sail laying on the table you say there is wire only in the two sides? How is it holding it’s billowed shape side to side? It is as if there is wire in the bottom as well. My other question is when you draw the lines for sewing do you try to match the same number and spacing as on the plastic formed sail or have a set spacing you do regardless of the plastic?  It appears as if there are more molded lines on plastic sail then you put on your cloth sails. On my Cutty Sark formed sails there are many many lines. The first picture that uploaded is one of them. 

CAC110A1-36E8-4036-A264-E2411C1484DA.jpeg

F4903599-F2EF-4E30-935A-418F42AB1BCB.png

DE570F36-5779-49BA-9B25-653ABB62DE09.png

0A3557E5-B8CE-4F26-9946-982AD3B8CEA8.png

Hi Bill

First of all thanks for your compliments on my ship.

To answer your first question  is fairly simple, when you have inserted the wire on the two sides of your sail and sowed it up to secure it, it just a simple process of bending the wire inside from the middle to your preferred shape, the wire should hold in that postion, doing this on both sides gives you the billow effect, then just a case of rigging the top of the sail to the mast yard and securing the bottom corners to the lower mast yard or appropriate fixing point if you are doing the large lower sails, then if needed bend the wire a little more to billow the sail to your desire.

To answer your second question depends on your preference, I certainly do draw in the lines on the cloth (in light pencil) that are on the plastic sails, maybe not as many, but so the sail still measures up to scale, then I stitch on top of all those lines to give that authenticity of hand sewn sails, I usually do this sewing before I do the wiring as the sail  is a lot easier to work with.

Hope this has answered your questions Bill. 

Happy modelling 🤺

Thanks again Robert. Yes I understand bending the wire in the sides to get the billow. It just looked like in the one picture like the sail was also billowed side to side as well. As if there was a wire in the bottom. Just seemed like the two sides would collapse together when not rigged to the ship. 

Hi Everyone 

Due to a Family member being seriously ill in Hospital, progress has been slowed down to bits and pieces but still managing an hr here and there.

All ratlines are now complete, as well as the Anchors, more running rigging done to Mizzen and Bonaventure masts, still more running to do before rigging the sails,  and attaching Rudder and lantern to the stern of the ship. 

I will also be attaching a few aftermarket architectural features some of which are on hold as waiting on new stock.

There is now clear skies at the end of the storm.

Happy modelling everyone!

🤺🤺🤺

20200818_095753.jpg

20200818_093833.jpg

20200818_094111.jpg

20200818_094233.jpg

20200818_095543.jpg

20200801_150140.jpg

20200805_193059.jpg

20200811_132454.jpg

20200818_095926.jpg

20200818_095948.jpg

20200818_093833.jpg

Robert, I hope your family member recovers soon — my thoughts are with you.

Your model is looking very good — it’s great to see all that rigging in place so far!  👍🏻

41 minutes ago, Jeff T said:

Robert, I hope your family member recovers soon — my thoughts are with you.

Your model is looking very good — it’s great to see all that rigging in place so far!  👍🏻

Hi Jeff and Ccoyle thanks for your kind words, regrettably it is past that stage in terms of health, now entering "End of life stage" lots of problems re diabetes amputee and cancer.

Robert I am so sorry to hear about your sick family member. Went through a very similar time in the past year. Even though I only know you through this blog I feel like we are friends, at least friends in modeling. Hang in there. 
Later when it is more appropriate I will let you know my final decision on my sail making. Right now for you i am sure it is not very important. 

Thanks Guys your kind wishes are much appreciated.

I have been  taking time out here and there to keep myself positive, so I have been going forwards with my kit I have added a few architectural features with some more to follow,  I have decided not just to make this just a Man O'war but also the Queen's Flagship also with more armoury, even though this kit isn't based on any one historical ship accurately.

On the down side I need to cut and remake 2 sails, rookie and impetus error on the Mizzen and Bonaventure sails, as I have sewn them inside out thinking the yards were on the other side of the masts.

I'll will post pics once the ship is finished.

Happy modelling guys and once again your kind thoughts and wishes are well appreciated. ❤❤❤❤

My English Man O'war Queen's Flagship Finished!

Its been another labour of Love in difficult circumstances these past few weeks. 

I do have 40 figures for this kit, that I may add some  at a later date if I decide to. 

All relevant comments are welcome as to what I could improve on or missed out, I am still a novice as to Historical accuracy although this kit doesn't relate to one Specific ship from history.

Happy Modelling everyone and all the best of health and happiness to you all

#staysafe 🤺🤺🤺🤺🤺

20200829_110324.jpg

20200829_110412.jpg

20200829_110549.jpg

20200829_114302.jpg

20200829_114120.jpg

20200829_111312.jpg

20200829_111226.jpg

20200829_110736.jpg

Robert, congratulations on finishing a fine model. She looks great! This one sure brought back some great modelling memories. 

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans.