ENGLISH MAN O'WAR by Robert Taylor - FINISHED - Revell - 1:96

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

After seeing the pictures and reading your comments I did a little online search. There is a 13 part build video of the Soleli Royal you have. That is an impressive ship to build! You will enjoy it. Kind of expensive brand new on line and sold out on eBay. I also really like the Airfix Wasa. I have found it available and am going to add that to my Christmas. I can’t remember the scale of it now. What is your’s? Going to look for the Prince also. 

Hi Bill, that's good, The Airfix Wasa has a 1:144 scale albeit as I said before these scales are not historically accurate as these Airfix tall ship boxes are all the same size more or less.

There is a Prince on ebay but very expensive at £69.95 someone trying to take advantage of its rarity I think.

Yes I paid full rep price for the Soleil Royal and Hms Victory  both £159 each,but brand new, even pre owned ones go for about £130+  so there is little point in that incase something is missing or broken, these kits are well sought after, the Victory I got, the seller had 3 brand new and I kid you nor these went within 20mins of being posted.

Not sure if I have anything  for my Christmas that I really want, may just get myself a Zvezda or Heller kit i dont have but nothing expensive, not that i need anymore atm.

This is a lovely model you are making, Robert.  I remember seeing the English galleon in the hobby store, when I was a kid and being completely captivated by it.  I had done an absolutely terrible job of building the Spanish Galleon, and thought that one day I might try the English version with its bonaventure mizzen.  Anyway, it's nice to see such good, clean work.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

1 hour ago, Hubac's Historian said:

This is a lovely model you are making, Robert.  I remember seeing the English galleon in the hobby store, when I was a kid and being completely captivated by it.  I had done an absolutely terrible job of building the Spanish Galleon, and thought that one day I might try the English version with its bonaventure mizzen.  Anyway, it's nice to see such good, clean work.

Thank you for those kind words, I completely overhauled the paintwork and added architectural features as well  as hand sewing my own sail, as I just didnt like Revell's finish.

17 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Robert I like to detail paint the little figures Revell includes with  their models. That will be the same with the Man O War. I have tried looking online for period British naval uniforms I am guessing 1600’s time frame. Any suggestions?

Hi Bill, 

You could try this company, I know they do Spanish and English pirates think the scale is 1/72. 

I didn't use the figures for mine as I thought they weren't  good enough quality compared to Aifix figures on the Golden Hind.

Here's the link to Drum and Flag mate. 

https://www.drumandflag.co.uk/

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2020 at 2:36 PM, Robert Taylor said:

Hi Everyone 

Due to a Family member being seriously ill in Hospital, progress has been slowed down to bits and pieces but still managing an hr here and there.

All ratlines are now complete, as well as the Anchors, more running rigging done to Mizzen and Bonaventure masts, still more running to do before rigging the sails,  and attaching Rudder and lantern to the stern of the ship. 

I will also be attaching a few aftermarket architectural features some of which are on hold as waiting on new stock.

There is now clear skies at the end of the storm.

Happy modelling everyone!

🤺🤺🤺

20200818_095753.jpg

20200818_093833.jpg

20200818_094111.jpg

20200818_094233.jpg

20200818_095543.jpg

20200801_150140.jpg

20200805_193059.jpg

20200811_132454.jpg

20200818_095926.jpg

20200818_095948.jpg

20200818_093833.jpg

Amazing build, could I ask what size deadeyes you used? Thanks. 

• 9 months later...
On 7/13/2020 at 3:53 AM, Backer said:

Well done.
But noncommittal comments.
If these are the rigging instructions from revell, then they are wrong.
Have a look at the attached photos.

20200713_124703.thumb.jpg.7977f9bbab0c2dd27192add73b6b0051.jpg20200713_124836.thumb.jpg.62c11744279d5a388197ef8d763a7dce.jpg

Robert,

Great work on your English Galion, looks fabulous. If I may suggest a change on your next ship, Standing rigging is either in Dark Brown or Black, such as the Shrouds and Ratlines. Otherwise my hat is off to you doing your own Ratlines!

Backer,

What is the name of the book and the author in these pictures? I would love to find it for future projects.

Steve

Current Build: Merit 1/48 Early Eco 80' PT Boat and Imai 1/50 Catalan Ship

Finished:

Revell 1/196 USS Constitution (My oldest son's school project)
Revell 1/72 Hanse Kogge
Revell 1/50 Viking Ship
Revell 1/72 U-Boat
Zvezda 1/72 English Medieval Ship Thomas

Revell 1/90 The Nina

5 hours ago, docidle said:

Robert,

Great work on your English Galion, looks fabulous. If I may suggest a change on your next ship, Standing rigging is either in Dark Brown or Black, such as the Shrouds and Ratlines. Otherwise my hat is off to you doing your own Ratlines!

Backer,

What is the name of the book and the author in these pictures? I would love to find it for future projects.

Steve

Hi Steve 

Thanks for your kind words. 

Not to sure what you meant by way of Standing  rigging  on this kit as it is in Black, however  I deliberately done the ratlines in a natural beige colour to offset against the Colour scheme I improvised on and totally changed regards to the kit instructions. 

I have recently  completed my Next kit the "Royal Louis"  - Heller 1/200 which I again have heavily improvised. There is a Log on here with regards to the whole build. 

All the best  

Robert. 

👍🤺

6 hours ago, docidle said:

What is the name of the book and the author in these pictures? I would love to find it for future projects

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 1 year later...