Jump to content

Spanish Galleon by Jeff T - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC - with modifications

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Beautiful job, Jeff. Not only the paint job under the waterline (which looks really good to me), but the rest of the hull as well. A seriously attractive model.

Thanks, Steven!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

The kit includes parts for a windlass which would be assembled, painted black, and placed on the main deck:




I decided not to use it for my galleon.  At the Maritime Museum of San Diego, the replica of a mid-sixteenth century Spanish galleon, San Salvador, was well-researched and is supposed to be as authentic as possible for a galleon of its time period, so I oftentimes look to it for ideas.  It has a capstan instead of a windlass:




Here is the size of the capstan with respect to the size of a person:




I see that in Peter Kirsch's book The Galleon:  The Great Ships of the Armada Era (Naval Institute Press, 1990), in Figure 84 on page 140, there is a capstan with a similar shape on a cross-sectional drawing of a reconstruction of an early seventeenth century galleon from Stockholm, Sweden (see number 73):




So I wanted to have a capstan that looks like San Salvador's capstan.  It would need to be the right size when compared with the size of my sailor figures that were included with the kit.  Online, I found a capstan whose advertised picture has a similar appearance and whose height is approximately correct.  I ordered it:





What arrived, however, although it had the correct height, did not look like that picture:





Also, at least one of the whelps did not fit snugly:





It would have been costly and time-consuming to return the item, and I am not sure if I would have been able to find one with the shape I was looking for in the appropriate size.  Therefore, I decided to modify the capstan to get it to look more like San Salvador's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I attached a temporary stand to the base of the capstan and set it up on my hand drill held in place with a vise:




When I had spun it with the drill, sanding it down with a makeshift "sanding block", it looked like this:




I also modified the whelps a bit:




After I marked and drilled the holes for the capstan bars (which I will not mount or include, since the ship will be at sail and the anchors will be up), I squared off the round holes the best that I could:






After the whelps were glued to the capstan, I sanded them some more to try to get the tops of the whelps closer to the drum as uniformly as I could:




I filled some of the open spaces with "molten" styrene (as described earlier in the log for fixing the hole on the main deck):




After puttying and sanding, the capstan was ready to paint:



Link to post
Share on other sites

Here it is after the base color and the holes for the capstan bars were painted:




I used the same type of paint (Testors enamel) that I often use for plastic parts in the kit, so in order to apply one of the same enamel "washes" that I have used previously for weathering, I first needed to apply an acrylic isolation coat (a clear gloss):




Here it is after the weathering:




Pictured next to one of the sailors (yet to be painted):




I think the scale is reasonably close.  I know that the proportions of the whelps and drum on this modified capstan are not exactly like those of San Salvador's capstan, but I think it covers the basic idea.  Also, it won't be so shiny after it is covered with a clear mat varnish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

You've done a beautiful job of modifying the capstan Jeff.Looks really good - a bit shiny at the moment, but the matt varnish should take care of that.


12 hours ago, Backer said:

Nice capstan.

Much more correct than that of the kit and that of Corel


Thank you for your kind comments.  Making these modifications takes extra time and fuss, but I think it is worth it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

When following Backer's log on his scratch-built Golden Hind 1/45 scale,


I wondered how I would also solve the problem of the mainstay coming down to the beakhead, because the rigging instructions by Revell do not do it that way, and I wanted to follow a plan more like that outlined by Peter Kirsch in his Galleon book, referenced previously in this log.  So I did a crude preliminary test, but keep in mind, doing anything concrete with the rigging will still be a long way off for me:








Fortunately, it looks like I will likely be able to run the mainstay under the railing at the front of the forecastle and loop it around the the bowsprit at the stempost.  And, rather than making it go to one side or the other of the foremast, I will most likely have two limbs of the mainstay loop around either side of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...