Miss Unlimited (Reboot) by LMDAVE - FINISHED - (Vintage) Dumas

I just caught up on your build log, Dave, and this hydroplane is a beauty. It's a great tribute to your father as well. It looks really big. What are the dimensions? 

I'll put in a vote for making it RC. I'd bet your father would have loved to see it skipping across the water at a blistering speed with a tall rooster tail following in the wake!

Good luck on the rest of your build.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

A few more photos of the boat on its stand 

It is probably too late at this point Dave, but did you ever consider displaying the boat like they sometimes carry them on the trailer? 

1960 Unlimited Hydroplane "Miss Burien" | Hydroplane boats ...

Vintage Scale Model Hydroplane - 1966 My Gypsy 1/25th scale with ...

Pin on vintage thunderboats: true crotch rockets!

Of course sometimes they travel flat as well

Bonhams : 1959 Jones Grand Prix Hydroplane "Livings Years II"

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I saw a few models displayed like that, but I also like the way it sits on my stand. Both are cool.

OK, may need a little advice here. Working on the cockpit of the hydroplane. I made a dashboard, and ordered a scale steering wheel, also got the only scale racing seat I could find, but does the high back look off on this? If anyone can find a low profile seat for a 1:8 scale that may look better, I may go that way

IMG_9808t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been waiting on the aluminum rudder and propeller  bracket to come in before moving on any further. It finally came in. Even though I'm still up in the air about making this official RC, I will be installing the closest to correct hardware for  visual appearance and for any future decision. The "stuffing tube" that came with the propeller bracket I will be installing at the  best angle to meet up with a potential future motor. Drilling a hole at the correct angle on this existing  boat was kind of a challenge. I already had this 12" 1/4" drill bit. Once I determine my angle needed to be about 8-9 degrees. I drill a hole in a 2 x 4, then cut the 2x4 on my miter saw set to 8.5 degrees, and this made a "jig" for me to use.  It work out pretty well. 

Yes, I know a scarred up some of the blue bottom , but touching this up after sealing the stuffing tube should be an easy touch up.

IMG_9872.thumb.jpg.d9da7fb3dcb5186fd013a0824b5ae018.jpgIMG_9873.thumb.jpg.8134b0d382f236bf1505dc22d242de66.jpgIMG_9874.thumb.jpg.aabe2d66a7f5e59069c28bf3f7976488.jpgIMG_9875.thumb.jpg.e9390b0d5053408aa5102daf5aff6079.jpgIMG_9877.thumb.jpg.e224ca3ba60ce7e263e82821bffabc2c.jpg 

Installed the rudder/propeller bracket on. It was pain holding a socket on those lock nuts from the inside.

D2E37BB6-994C-4478-AC23-E2E4840A3848.jpeg

1B922EE0-472E-4AF1-AB3A-233E907DEED9.jpeg

FCCF0D63-6A4F-48DD-A47A-E13566CCA169.jpeg

BB837163-A3AC-4499-8B63-C98AB4045F89.jpeg

On 7/4/2020 at 7:01 PM, LMDAVE said:

OK, may need a little advice here. Working on the cockpit of the hydroplane. I made a dashboard, and ordered a scale steering wheel, also got the only scale racing seat I could find, but does the high back look off on this? If anyone can find a low profile seat for a 1:8 scale that may look better, I may go that way

Dave,

Model Motorcars is starting to sell Jaguar Type E seats in the scale of 1/8: 

Jag-seat.jpg.fab21770092b977d26cdcf8a4bb9220f.jpg

These may fit your boat better than the modern seat that you have at this moment. You can find information here: https://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/collections/the-jaguar-store

Yves

Thanks, those seats look cool, but almost $100 to get them and have them covered. So, not sure I'm going that route.

Here's a sneak peak of the boat with upper sections temp installed. My main hold up is the fact that I am trying to tool this thing for possible future RC control, because the back cowl section will be permanently mounted, and running stuff from middle to transom would require breaking it apart. It wasn't really set up for removal. So I'm going to be installing bulkheads on the transom and linkage to control the rudder, and I just found out  those water tubes coming out the back of rc boats to the rudder do. It's a cooling water system for the motor. So, I guess I'll be installing two bulkheads for that and pre running some tubing through the back section to the middle. I'm probably going about this all wrong, the learning RC as I go, the intent was for this to be a nice static model, but more and more the idea of it running one day still intrigues me. So, that's why I'm pre running all of this tooling once it comes in then, I can permanently install the back cowl and caulk and paint it.

IMG_9907a.jpg.png

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the final hardware and sealed the back fin. This will be the final of the static model for display only ...for now. Thanks for following. 

BF6A5AEC-EBF5-4087-A50C-BD1AC07DE900.jpeg

C1A8728B-CB69-42B0-AABC-790D4EC1F4E9.jpeg

4E67D344-2B98-411F-90C5-C06142011854.jpeg

19CEBFCA-00F6-4AFA-B19B-9FC9F9821988.jpeg

491D44B6-FCC9-4C44-BF52-4C85D0E825E6.jpeg

99F1163C-5857-4EE2-B96A-F91058440BF7.jpeg

• 4 months later...

hi all!

I’m going to join the fun.  Great information here and I enjoyed the back story just as much.   

I just started my build.   I found this site and post after I got my kit in hand.   I feel lucky to have this to follow and cross reference. 

I was thinking vintage nitro but I like a shelf queen too.  Less stress.   Maybe brushless??

I also just learned that this kit is still maybe available from DumasBoats still minus the decals 

-mike

740FB4A7-8B54-4954-BA27-19F9D1095BBF.jpeg

Hello Mike, and welcome to MSW. That looks like another interesting water-hot-rod project, why not start your own build log and post a quick 'hello' in new member introductions?

I will be watching to see what you do with that iconic hydroplane.

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

On 12/17/2020 at 6:45 AM, 14Boats said:

I just started my build.   I found this site and post after I got my kit in hand.

Like Bruce said, starting a build log of this model would be great, Mike. We don't see these models very often here and I'm sure there would be a good amount on interest in your build. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I’ve got progress photos.  I’ll most likely will start one.  Im not so good at words but do enjoy a good project and can work a camera and possibly answer kit questions. 

thank you sir for your encouragement 

mike 

ps I have 2 ships from a furniture showroom prop room in Highpoint nc.     I do need to start a thread about them and see what I can learn 

• 2 weeks later...