Sea Witch 1846 by Zooker - RESTORATION

On 6/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Zooker said:

My late uncle built this model in 1956, and I'm wondering whether it is possible to learn which company made the kit.  After he recently died, I asked his caregiver to set it aside for me.  As you can see, she was not very careful about protecting it until I was able to pick it up.  Also,  what is the best glue to use on these damaged masts?  Something that sets quickly? I can't see how I would be able clamp them in place.  I'm going to do my utmost  to restore this model the best I can because  I can't even think about throwing into a landfill.

Sea Witch 1.jpg

Sea Witch 2.jpg

Sea Witch 3.jpg

Sea Witch 4.jpg

On 6/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Zooker said:

My late uncle built this model in 1956, and I'm wondering whether it is possible to learn which company made the kit.  After he recently died, I asked his caregiver to set it aside for me.  As you can see, she was not very careful about protecting it until I was able to pick it up.  Also,  what is the best glue to use on these damaged masts?  Something that sets quickly? I can't see how I would be able clamp them in place.  I'm going to do my utmost  to restore this model the best I can because  I can't even think about throwing into a landfill.

Sea Witch 1.jpg

Sea Witch 2.jpg

Sea Witch 3.jpg

Sea Witch 4.jpg

It's been a while since I posted this item, and I've done very little except for cleaning up this model where possible because I was hoping to learn which company made this kit in order to find the original blueprints that would help me (a total novice) to attempt restoration.  Well, a couple weeks ago someone on the West Coast (who is not a member) decided to browse this site and saw the photos of my uncle's model.  He emailed me directly and said it looked very similar to the model he just completed and sent photos of his.   Close, I thought, but not quite that of my uncle's.  He admitted not following the drawings to the letter, adding that I could have his blueprints; they arrived yesterday.  They were from the Marine Model Co. in N.Y and were drawn in 1937 and revised in 1958;  my uncle completed his in 1956.  What I noticed on the drawings was that the brow sprit comprised two pieces of wood, as is the case with mine.  The other fellow's has only the longer piece, and the colors he used do not match those on my uncle's.  I felt sure that these drawings were of little use to me, but then I came across a small set of instructions among the blueprints and discovered that the paint colors on my model match exactly those used my uncle.  Voila!  My search has ended, thanks to somebody who just decided to "drop in" for a visit to this site.  My wife said it best:  There are a lot of nice people in this world!

Zooker, 

That's what ModelShipWorld means "The help you can find from an unexpected corner in the world"
I am glad that the plans and instructions will be to good help for you. And have to say to the "unknown person" - Thank you for the help, this is what drives MSW forward.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 months later...

Well, I got lucky recently when another modeler visited this site and saw my interest in obtaining the blueprints for this particular Sea Witch model.  He had just completed building his after umpteen years of having the kit.  It's the Marine Model #1079 that was first drawn in 1937.  He had no more use for the blueprints so he gave them to me!  Now my question is:  Where do I start?  I'd say 90 percent of the rigging is still in place; the problem is that parts of the masts and spars have come unglued so it's just a matter of putting them back together.  The bow sprit is in pretty bad shape;  the top mast stay is missing and I'd like to know how one would go about reproducing it.  I can send photos of the bow sprit if folks here think it would be helpful.  Again, let me emphasize that I've never built a ship model of this complexity.  I just want to get as close as I can to restoring what my uncle did with so much devotion in 1956.  Thank you.

If you are interested in exploring the bow architecture and bowsprit, there is a paper in NRJ with the title "Which witch is Sea Witch". 

It seems that the two or three old kits and HIC got it wrong.. 

The Scientific Sea Witch was my first ship model - the idea was to have something to decorate a fireplace mantel.  I had zero knowledge of or experience with tools.  

I drilled the holes for the masts using a countersink bit in a hand spiral driver.  The carved hull was soft enough wood to allow this.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• 5 months later...

I've been doing a lot of reading given that I am by no means an experienced modeler.  I need to make some templates for the Sea Witch (Since my last posting, I was fortunate enough to get the original plans for this model.  (Marine Model Kit #1079)  So...how do I create templates for the bow sprit cap, dolphin striker, horns, as well as the transom rail, etc?  Thank you. 

As this is a complex job, I wonder if you have a ship model club in your area (wherever that is!)? If so, you will have access to a lot of experienced folk who can help you at your shoulder - covid permitting. They can show you what to do, which is easier than corresponding here. However, if that isn't possible, we'll try our best to assist online.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 4 months later...

Zooker...is there any new updates on this wonderful restoration?

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I've done some reading and was lucky enough to get a copy of the original plans for this model; I hope to soon attempt small steps in restoring it to at least a more presentable condition.  What I need to do is find a way to reproduce  the short railing on the stern.

Edited by Zooker

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...