Enköping harbor by ubjs - a model railroad module in 1:45

Enköping is a small city in Sweden ca 80 km from Stockholm.

The harbor is also small and that makes it perfect for building a model railroad module of it.

I build in scale 1:45, called 0-scale in model railroading and the module shall have a bit of the waterarea with several model ships.

I found this photo, https://digitaltmuseum.se/011014537633/enkoping-hamnen-gamla-hamnmagasinen-maj-1957/media?slide=0,

and it inspired me to the build.

Three of the oldest port warehouses still exists, this is one of them.

SmallIMG_0031.jpg

This is a picture of the modules from the first modular meeting I used them.

The warehouses shall stand between the tracks and the water area will be at the bottom along with the whole module, 640 cm.

I´m now working on the warehouses and a ship model of a cargo ship, Vega. I have a modelkit of Vega but in scale 1:35, I will have to make one from scratch in correct scale.

grimslov23liten.jpg

Here is a picture of one wall I have built. I use 2 mm thick balsa wood and cut in a little Proxxon saw.

I glue the strips to cardboard and I shall make doors in plastic strips from Evergreen.

The houses will be quite large so I will have to find out a way to transport them with the walls separated.

Maybe I´ll use Lego pieces or magnets to hold them together at meetings.

IMG_0064.JPG

• 1 year later...

This project stopped in mars 2020, when Corona entered the scene I completly lost inspiration for building modules for model railroading.

But now it looks better again and I have taken up this one where I left it.

I´m building what I call ¨advanced mockups¨, I have made most of the walls for ca 10 buildings and shall make the roofs. All in 0,8 mm card. Then I will go on and build the models on the card with balsawood and doors, windows of Evergreen plastic strips. So the mockups will be reused as ground for the ¨real¨ modelhouses, thats why I call them ¨advanced mockups¨:)

Here is a picture of a solution for putting the walls together. Its for solving the transportation problem I wrote about above in june 8 2020!

BE788932-D9CC-4F06-9BAD-0E7F4A2A9507.jpg

6516CC6C-4FC8-4373-8F2B-406BF8B2A8AC.jpg

Great idea for making your structures portable. I've seen many a layout with structures looking like your last picture. The owners are more into operating the trains than worrying about the authenticity of each structure. 😉:D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

My club does that. We operate British and German equipment, along with our US/Canadian trains. Kind of cool hearing the distinctive whistles of the British locos.

Modules look very good. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

Härligt att se en svensk idyll komma till liv. Ser bra ut.

Nice to see a small iconic small town coming to life.

Looks good.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry