HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Nunnehi (Don) - FINISHED - 1:48

She's going to be quite a showpiece, Don. You have a nice, spacious workspace also. I don't think I could even fit a model this size into my tiny modeling area.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, Bob. I’m very lucky to have a finished basement and a Wife doesn’t like stairs so She never goes down there😉. My oldest Son also did a stint as an apprentice cabinetmaker and built a desk that fits me like I wanted. It’s simple but has some good storage space and cutouts for power, etc. 

Thanks again,

Don

• 1 month later...

Very nice job Don. We must have gotten our hands from the same store!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Very nice work, Don, and thanks for showing us that equal space divider. It looks like a really cool, useful tool. Do you have a link to where you bought it?

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 1 month later...

I’ve been making steady progress and have finished planking the deck. I was initially a bit confused about the pattern, but with lots of references back to Rusty’s and Bob’s builds, I figured it out and am very much looking forward to moving on to making the gunport doors. As I also build in plastic, I have quite a stash of left over photoetch brass bits and pieces and have picked out several pieces that are the right dimensions to make the hinges. 

Merry Christmas,

Don

Edited by Nunnehi (Don)
Add files

Wonderful job on the planking and all the hatches too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

14 hours ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

Thanks, Bob! And thanks for the likes!

I showed it to my wife the other day and her comment was: “that’s pretty, and where exactly do you intend to put it?”

LOL,

Don

My wife has been saying that to me about many of the things I get enamored with for many years. I just got another guitar and she reminded me that I now have 6!

Will the Winnie take over the place on the mantel that is currently occupied by the Calypso at your house?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

6 hours ago, BobG said:

My wife has been saying that to me about many of the things I get enamored with for many years. I just got another guitar and she reminded me that I now have 6!

Will the Winnie take over the place on the mantel that is currently occupied by the Calypso at your house?

Congratulations on the guitar - been trying to get a new sax for a while but no luck!

The Winnie could replace the Calypso, they’re about the same size, but I’d really like to figure out a way to display both..............

80FFBBA4-E4B1-48B0-8EAA-FE465CE5FF38.jpeg

Edited by Nunnehi (Don)
Correct typo and add a comment

4 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Looking good Don! I’m jealous of all that room!

JJ

Thanks, JJ, I appreciate it. I’m lucky to have a finished basement that I don’t have to share so I can spread out a bit. Of course my Wife says it just allows me to make a bigger mess! One of my kids did a stint as an apprentice cabinet maker and made a desk that fits me that I’ve really enjoyed.

Don

• 3 months later...

A bit of an update....... I’ve been working on Chapter 5 and have it pretty much completed with a few exceptions like the trim in front of the figurehead and the gunport lids. The bow details were a challenge but I’m happy with how they came out. On to the cannons soon. 3E1AF3D8-EDFA-45D7-83AA-E9D44020A13F.thumb.jpeg.a252f785ff2b76b19dc958c6556e67f9.jpeg

Don

1CB13D21-3D43-4DB2-A973-D1CF16A4A392.jpeg

1A9FC44E-6C2A-436D-A939-2063C2883E90.jpeg

FB857A04-DACA-47C5-B5D1-A0CE875E0D3D.jpeg

7EA7EAEB-279B-46A2-AE3B-26DCCBA2AE62.jpeg

Nice work on the cheeks and hair brackets.  Have you ever modeled those before?  They are tricky and you pulled it off well.  These are just like on the contemporary model.   Nothing was simplified which is why you should be very happy with those results.

chuck

Thanks for the kind words, Chuck, I really appreciate it. No, have never done that exact kind of thing before and it took quite a bit of time with lots of references to the pictures you have posted and more than a bit of sanding.  I’ve learned over the years that consistent, parallel lines are pleasing to the eye so that’s what I went for. At one point, I didn’t like the set of the ones on the starboard side so removed and repositioned them. Should finish the gunports this week and will post some more pics

Thanks again,

Don

Gosh, Don, that's a very good looking model you're building...beautiful.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

She's a very,  very nice looking model Don!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED