HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Nunnehi (Don) - FINISHED - 1:48

Have finished Chapter Eight with the exception of some final cleanup sanding. During the installation of the deck beams, I uncovered about a 3mm fairing mismatch port to starboard. I’ve tried to adjust for it but have not been completely successful. Hopefully, most of it will be covered by the deck planking and not be too noticeable- the learning curve is steep! The templates worked well for the beam placement in the bow but I’m having trouble getting the qdeck PDFs to print at the proper scale - suggestions? I wound up making copies of the original plans to get the carling placement correct. Anyway, here’s some pics……………….

Don

F941F001-5771-454C-84A0-223D879F5945.jpeg

8FA40BA4-53D6-448F-87D1-B22EA2FA6ADB.jpeg

58D25B03-533E-4DEC-A967-2E9696ECA46E.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That looks great Don.  One thing I cant help but notice is how shiny your black paint is.  Is that a personal preference.  I might suggest a matte black if its at all possible at this stage.  Maybe try it on one side and have a look.

So many people catching up to me.  I have to get busy!!  I will ponder how to make it easier to print out that template.   

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck! Yes, the black is a personal thing but maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. What I'm going for is simi-gloss but not really shiny. I'm using a Tamiya flat black acrylic (after years and years of Model Master enamels, but we won't go there) and then wipe on poly, with finish sanding starting at a 400 grit and progressing to a 2500. I'll revisit this.

On the printing issue, I'm using a Windows laptop with an HP LaserJet M227 printer. When I bring up the f'castle PDFs and print them at 100%, it works perfectly on 8.5x11 paper and exactly fits on the model. When I bring up the qdeck templates, printing from Adobe shows a document size of 20.0x8.5, which exceeds the limits of my printer and will only print the central 11x8.5 inch part. When I print that at 100% it still comes out at about 75% when compared to the actual model. A possible solution is to take the qdeck PDFs to the same printshop that I used for the original plans where it can be printed on a larger sheet of paper at 100%. Another way would be to divide the doc in half maybe just forward of the wheel so it will fit on 11.5x8 paper. Either way, it would be nice to have a scale on it to use to make sure that its printed correctly, especially if I take it to an outside printer. I did a screenshot of my Adobe print function, but I also have multiple monitors and it came out so small that you can't really see what I'm trying to describe - will try something else.

Thanks again and I hope this helps -

Don

Don, when you print this, you will need to tile it.  In your print configuration, you should have a button for "Poster" that will create the tiling over three sheets.  There is an overlap at the mating of each sheet, but it should be pretty easy to figure out. 

image.png.ba8c10502668bd1a67f7a848fcad511e.png

Edited by Matt D

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Don, when you print this, you will need to tile it.  In your print configuration, you should have a button for "Poster" that will create the tiling over three sheets.  There is an overlap at the mating of each sheet, but it should be pretty easy to figure out. 

image.png.ba8c10502668bd1a67f7a848fcad511e.png

Thanks, Matt, that worked, I really appreciate your help! I wasn’t familiar with that setting in Adobe even though I’m a retired IT geek. My main focus was network and Unix admin and anytime I had to deal with Microsoft apps, I broke out in hives😸😽

Don

• 5 months later...

I’ve been working on Chapter 9 for a while and it’s been a bit of a struggle. It turns out that my fairing left the bow about 3mm out of whack port to starboard resulting in the planking not covering symmetrically and poorly fitting rails. I’ve tried to compensate by adding an extra plank in the center and, to the casual observer, it looks ok, and was able to bend the rails enough to get them in place. A bit of advise to folks not quite so far along, take Chuck’s advise on making things fair and square early in the build seriously! I’ve found a source for square wire for the spanshackles on Amazon and need to make some more eyebolts to finish things up. 

Here’s a few pics………

Don

F6EA2EE6-8DF6-424D-B830-DA6CF7963F15.jpeg

22DF538B-E764-40E8-8AA2-505615BEB8A6.jpeg

23524AA3-723D-4BFD-960A-92E3C0AAD80E.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

to the casual observer, it looks ok

My wife always reminds me that I'm the only one who will see the small flaws I point out to her. Your Winnie looks great to me! 👍

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Chuck, I appreciate it. Also look forward to getting the guns installed that I ordered last week - they got stuck for over a week in a usps facility somewhere in your part of the world but are finally on the way and I should get them in the next day or so. 

Thanks again,

Don

1 hour ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

Are you making any progress on your Pen Duick?

Unfortunately not, Don, I'm sorry to say. I've just been immersed in cycling, gardening and guitar lately. I'm sure the motivation to get back into will return at some point. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 11 months later...

I just realized that it’s been almost a year since my last post and three years since I started this log. Much has happened since last June including the Admiral’s knee replacement surgery that developed major complications, and the arrival of our first Grandchildren, twin boys! Progress on the Winnie has been slow, but I’m in the home stretch and should be finished in a couple of weeks. There are still a few tweaks and paint touch ups that are needed, but I’ve installed the headrails and other bow stuff. Because of some early fairing errors, the port and starboard bow shape is not symmetrical, which has really complicated everything. I’ve tried to compensate, but getting the shapes right is probably the most difficult modeling challenge I’ve ever experienced. Anyway, here’s some pics. 

Don

IMG_3864.jpeg

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3862.jpeg

IMG_3858.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg