Epoxies can have different properties, some cure flexible, some are more brittle. I use epoxy a lot, mostly for laminating and always thickened. I am not very happy with the results using it as glue unthickened-too brittle.

I very much like Zpoxy, it is expensive though. I use the 30 min for gluing stuff and the finishing resin for laminating. Self life seems to be indefinite. If the hardener and resin become too thick and crystalise, 10 secs in the microwave restore to liquid form.

I use gloves and syringes to accurately measure equal volumes.

I'm not a big fan of 5 minute gorilla glue epoxy. Hard to use the double syringe thing,and the glue doesn't set near as quicly as its advertised to. I guess I prefer Locktites I think it it in separate tubes, Back in the 80s and 90s when I was build R/C planes I used a different brand that I was really happy with but cant find it in the hobby shops any longer,and I can't remember the name .

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Zpoxy 5 min or 30 min will work, if it is epoxy you need but really any branded epoxy would be fine. However the opening time is very much temperature dependent, I found that sometimes the 5 min allowed very little window to arrange pieces. In the past I ve used the 30 min which I warmed beforehand so it would cure much quicker. 

If the broken pieces match well, you could just use PVA. Maybe drilling a hole, use 1 mm screws to hold pieces while PVA cures, then fill hole with dowel or just use tape. Probably cleaner solution. Epoxy is really very messy! Also, you will need to prepare and mix a new epoxy quantity for every repair you need to make

Uncured epoxy being alkaline cleans well with vinegar, the acid destroys it immediately.

I'm using general purpose 5 min Loctite, mostly because that was the cheapest option in Walmart (less than $3 for 0.85 oz). So far so good, but 5 minutes is too fast. Anyway, except of this fast curing, the experience is almost the same as with the epoxy I used 25 years ago in the ship modelling club I attended in my childhood.

I plan to get some 30 minutes epoxy, for now I'm regarding Great Planes Pro Epoxy 30-Minute Formula. Does anybody have the experience and recommendations?

For the pure curiosity: what is considered to be "natural" epoxy: the slow curing one or fast curing? Are there disadvantages in any of them (e.g. PSI)?

Another recommendation I'm asking: I plan to fix a porcelain cup. What are the features to pay special attention to: transparency, flexibility, strength? Could you recommend any special brand/model, especially for US market?

For porcelain, best to get epoxy putty. It comes in two pieces of soft material (actually not too soft) that you mix well and then use to glue the pieces. I repaired a porcelain plate, the repair was invisible and rock solid.

Google Milliput

I have used Bob Smith Industries  5, 15 and 30 minute cure epoxies for years and consider them the best I have used.  BSI puts store labels on their glues so if you see a store label C/A or Epoxy glue look on the back label and you will probably see the BSI name and round logo.  Model Expo sells both BSI Epoxy and C/A

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I use the 15 minute BSI epoxy all the time. I also like having the squeeze bottles, those epoxies in the twin syringe are a pain.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

9 hours ago, vaddoc said:

For porcelain, best to get epoxy putty. It comes in two pieces of soft material (actually not too soft) that you mix well and then use to glue the pieces. I repaired a porcelain plate, the repair was invisible and rock solid.

Google Milliput

If I understood correctly which putty you mean, it is not thin and has color. Intuitively I expected that transparent liquid epoxy would be the best. I'm very surprised that your repair is invisible, so could you please provide more info?

The value of the cup is mostly by the fact that it was a gift. Regular "bone china". I just wish to feel that I've done the most I could do repairing it by myself.

56 minutes ago, dkuzminov said:

could you please provide more info?

It is a very thick putty, thicker than play doh or plastelin, and is the colour of porcelain. It hangs on to the rough edges of the broken pieces and cures rock hard. A tiny amount will be needed so invisible. It is very cheap.

I tried to find that repaired piece but it has moved on. 

Kurt: 

The BSI glue sounds like what I'm looking for, but I don't think I need a gap filler if I'm only reattaching mast tops and spars, right?  Hopefully I can remove the old adhesive using the method(s) described by others in earlier posts.

BTW:  We lived in Lombard for 26 years prior to moving to Wisconsin.  Nice town!