Macton locomotive works III

Michael, Look up "Fast Tracks" They sell all types and scales of templates for hand building track and turnouts (switches to some). You don't have to buy one but the picture of one of the dual gauge templates would answer your questions.

https://www.handlaidtrack.com/

Thanks Ron, I ended up finishing the points or switch as some call them. I am progressing on the wagon ironwork.

All the axleguards are now cut.

DSCN1382x1024.jpg.39b983575c85e493836d8053898406f9.jpg

next was to get the strapbolts made .

DSCN1401x1024.jpg.7c404d06b6437e6b5bc34bc38c954f24.jpg

DSCN1408Capture.JPG.e55d0f3890dd755c36c598fae53d1c40.JPG

Then the next piece of metalwork is the headstock and sole Knees

DSCN1411x1024.jpg.1aed25c795d1254ae9dd0aafb0c5729e.jpg

These plates are part of the whole buffer and strengthening of the frame Now that I have a prototype I can set up to make the four needed. The strapbolts are turned from 1/8th brass rod with the bolt part being .060" and threaded 0x80 and the section that gets flattened is turned to .095" this eventually becomes .140" wide by approx .040".  and the knees are  .040" copper they have been blackened in some Jax Blackener.

Michael

DSCN1416x1024.jpg.308f6c87006d1121663f237b1cc467b8.jpg

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael, looking at the strap bolts, I take it you pressed the strap end? cause the eight bolts lined up against the vise jaw don't look like the strap end is big enough to cut it...

Nice work btw, I wish I could machine that small...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hi Egilman, yes the strap bolts were flattened in the vice they needed 4 annealings to get to the correct width. I created a small jig using some tool steel blanks as in the next picture.

DSCN1394x1024.jpg.57d22ab782d9ed0024fee33ac27e2d92.jpg

The bottom piece if steel has a piece of shimstock to create a slide fit for the top piece of tool steel that gets hit with a hammer using a piece of brass between the steel and hammer.

DSCN1395x1024.jpg.e2e902921b9dd7f80eaab7747c62cb7a.jpg

The edge next to the bolt section has a small radius on the top anvil (tool steel)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Yeah I get it now, I figured it might be something like that... Cold forming after softening the brass...

The mill vise and tool steel setup hinted at it also.... Ingenius old school foundry practice in miniature.....

It's been so long since I've been in a machine shop I forget sometimes.....

It reminds me that all we are doing is practicing our trades in miniature..... the skills and knowledge remain the same.....

Thank you for the looking in at your wonderful work....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

It's good to see you back at the modeling bench Michael.  This is a great project and I hope you don't mind another head looking over your shoulder.  I've always enjoyed watching your problem solving and approach to part creation.  Looking forward to more updates.  You're off to a great start - sweet joinery on the wagon by the way.   

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox