Pinky schooner GLAD TIDINGS (1937) by shipphotographer.com - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 - just a christmas present

The big blue box I received as a gift for my first Christmas in the USA. My husband gave me another kit of a schooner (as he dreams of his own large schooner) and now *his* Christmas gift will be the completed model! By and large I am really impressed by the quality of the kit. The box is chock-full of materials, blanks. Unlike some other manufacturers, this one does give excellent value for the dollar and does not economize on materials...

The keel was laid on the stocks in early 2020. The framing of the vessel is assembled from laser-cut plywood bulkheads Most of the blanks are of basswood - a wood that is easy to work, though harder than linden. The principles of assembly of this kit is that the modeller would be following the sequence followed by shipwrights on a real shipyard.  The box is full of differently-dimensioned timber from which the modeler would build the parts. With the detailed instructions and large-scale drawings, tis is easy to do. Whoever designed the kit, did colossal preparatory work for the modelers. All that is left for the modeler is to enjoy the contruction process. 

1375386650_006-.thumb.jpg.0fb58ad7800e09f985fab8c1615a4a80.jpg

Nice work so far.

I've been thinking about this kit for a future build, as it looks like an interesting subject, and a bit different I'll be following along. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Hello, Olya. That is a very nice paint job! This kit is one of the last kits that Ben Lankford designed for Model Shipways -- he was highly regarded for his contributions to the hobby of model ship building.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Olha, What a fantastic build log.  I have enjoyed your videos as well as the pictures in your build log.  You have done an excellent job on your Pinky and I hope you will display it at the Northeast Joint Clubs Conference and Show next April.  It is held at the Port N Starboard banquet hall at Ocean Beach Park in New London.  In addition to your excellent modeling skills, your photography skills are also excellent.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Nicely done! That's a bold move having it on a single pedestal, great look.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 6/14/2020 at 8:47 PM, shipphotographer.com said:

You can find more details and information on the site here:

https://en.shipphotographer.com/pinky-schooner-glad-tidings-proces

I enjoyed your website.  You have a lot of information on it.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

5 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Olha, What a fantastic build log.  I have enjoyed your videos as well as the pictures in your build log.  You have done an excellent job on your Pinky and I hope you will display it at the Northeast Joint Clubs Conference and Show next April.  It is held at the Port N Starboard banquet hall at Ocean Beach Park in New London.  In addition to your excellent modeling skills, your photography skills are also excellent.

With great pleasure!

You're doing a lovely job and your other models are beautifully done as well, bravo. 

Looks very good indeed, nice painting. The varnish looks a bit more satin than matt?

I had a look at your site, your models are fantastic!

8 hours ago, vaddoc said:

Looks very good indeed, nice painting. The varnish looks a bit more satin than matt?

I had a look at your site, your models are fantastic!

It just looks this way. In truth, it is a matt varnish. The effect is coming from the red paint, actually. For some reason the paint gathered around the bulkheads and created this effect. 

The model looks fantastic! I wish I had half your talent. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

527297836_047--.thumb.jpg.a1e187682aba87f4b8cceab6af33d0be.jpg

979216537_049--.thumb.jpg.6e2a61597442d4193207acd9cfc7fd31.jpgFor the deckhouses, I bought deep gray spray paint. They would be installed after the completion of the deck planking. This way, it would be easier to sand the deck and imitate the nailing pattern. Speaking of which, I decided to replace the basswood planking with pear. This deck details that will not be painted, I will make from pear also and protect them with oil. Just because I like how it looks better than the pale color of the basswood. After this is completed, I can begin work on the bulwarks.  

Nice sharp paint lines, your Glad Tidings is going to be a very nice model when completed. I like the looks of the single pedestal a lot. 

Oh my God! I've just spent the better part of a Saturday morning completely enthralled with your website: www.shipphotographer.com  I can't recommend it highly enough to the forum members. The photography is fantastic. I've see a lot of ship model photographs in my day, but always too few taken by a photographer who was a master of both photography and ship modeling at the same time. Your series on the Ukrainian ship modeling competition entries was humbling. I've never seen so much spectacularly fine work in one place outside of a museum. It would be so helpful to the ship modeling hobby here if more of us were multilingual. There seems to be so much ship modeling going on in Eastern Europe that we miss here because of the language differences. (Google translate is my friend, but our English language search engines seem to often pass over foreign websites.)

I'm sure I haven't yet seen a quarter of what you have posted on your website and I have to get on with today's chores, but I've got it bookmarked for later study. Your blog is really informative, as well, and your YouTube videos are wonderful.

I'm not the sort to gush over things, but I really have to say that your contributions are a remarkable addition to our craft. Thank you so much for sharing them. I can't imagine how one person could manage to have the time to put together such a great collection of ship modeling information and photographs and also hold down a full-time job as a highway engineer! Perhaps it's the synergy of having a marine archaeologist for a husband. What a great combination. You're both very lucky people!

I suggest the moderators consider some way to introduce and highlight your website and videos to the forumites. There's so much there of such great beauty and value and I fear many might overlook your complete body of work when all we have of it on MSW at present is one kit-build log, which is wonderful, but hardly representative of the scope and complexity of your total body of work to date.  You're unquestionably right up there with the finest modelers posting on this site, none of which, I might add, are anywhere near you when it comes to photographing their work. :D  

Wonderful work...I really hope to see you and this model in person next year at the joint clubs ship model show in New London CT.   Usually around 100 model builders and everyone brings their models.   

Chuck

On 6/27/2020 at 4:08 PM, Bob Cleek said:

Oh my God! I've just spent the better part of a Saturday morning completely enthralled with your website: www.shipphotographer.com  I can't recommend it highly enough to the forum members. The photography is fantastic. I've see a lot of ship model photographs in my day, but always too few taken by a photographer who was a master of both photography and ship modeling at the same time. Your series on the Ukrainian ship modeling competition entries was humbling. I've never seen so much spectacularly fine work in one place outside of a museum. It would be so helpful to the ship modeling hobby here if more of us were multilingual. There seems to be so much ship modeling going on in Eastern Europe that we miss here because of the language differences. (Google translate is my friend, but our English language search engines seem to often pass over foreign websites.)

I'm sure I haven't yet seen a quarter of what you have posted on your website and I have to get on with today's chores, but I've got it bookmarked for later study. Your blog is really informative, as well, and your YouTube videos are wonderful.

I'm not the sort to gush over things, but I really have to say that your contributions are a remarkable addition to our craft. Thank you so much for sharing them. I can't imagine how one person could manage to have the time to put together such a great collection of ship modeling information and photographs and also hold down a full-time job as a highway engineer! Perhaps it's the synergy of having a marine archaeologist for a husband. What a great combination. You're both very lucky people!

I suggest the moderators consider some way to introduce and highlight your website and videos to the forumites. There's so much there of such great beauty and value and I fear many might overlook your complete body of work when all we have of it on MSW at present is one kit-build log, which is wonderful, but hardly representative of the scope and complexity of your total body of work to date.  You're unquestionably right up there with the finest modelers posting on this site, none of which, I might add, are anywhere near you when it comes to photographing their work. :D  

Thank you ever so much for the wonderfully kind words! I am now in the process of translating my site into English - after the Google Translation. Indeed in Europe there are lots of ship-modeling competitions, though all were cancelled for this year. 

I am not sure who lucked out more - me or my husband. I had always dreamed of place where I can display my models and my husband has always wanted a collection of ship models. Now, the house is large enough and I have space for displaying them. 

My decision to specialize in ship-model photography came up as result of my collaboration with a Ukrainian marine magazine. At first I was photographing reports then gradually started writing also articles about ship modeling in Ukraine and abroad. And then added also about maritime museums and nautical archaeology. And then ship modelers started commissioning me to do photo portfolios of their models as good photographs are important aids to sales. I have the advantage of being able to think both as photographer and shipmodeler.

The youtube channel I expanded once I came to the States and there I share all my techniques, how-tos of ship modeling and how-tos of photographing. I am very glad that you liked the channel! I hope you will enjoy also the future episodes. 

Best regards, 

Olha

On 6/27/2020 at 4:49 PM, Chuck said:

Wonderful work...I really hope to see you and this model in person next year at the joint clubs ship model show in New London CT.   Usually around 100 model builders and everyone brings their models.   

Chuck

Thank you! 

I would love gladly come to this meeting with my Glad Tidings. We live very close to the venue off Ocean Beach. 

Olha

Olha,

Don't know if Bing translator did a good job or not.

Дивовижна збірка!

Любов вони, як дошка просто впав на місце без будь-яких зусиль. 

Бажаю, щоб моя дошка була такою простою.

In English,

Amazing build! Love they way the planking just fell into place without any effort. 

Wish my planking was that simple.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 7/2/2020 at 3:45 PM, Nirvana said:

Olha,

Don't know if Bing translator did a good job or not.

Дивовижна збірка!

Любов вони, як дошка просто впав на місце без будь-яких зусиль. 

Бажаю, щоб моя дошка була такою простою.

In English,

Amazing build! Love they way the planking just fell into place without any effort. 

Wish my planking was that simple.

Тranslation is very funny - it turned out to be a poem about love for planks)))

In fact, gluing the planks took 2 hours. But the preparatory work was a whole week!

P.S. I understand English very well, especially the text. Only I find it difficult to write - but I try to learn to use English fluently faster!