Porsche 934 1/12 kpnuts Tamiya

Hi all this will be my next build looks up to Tamiya normal standards but when I first assembled the engine block the fit was awful and I had to use clamps scarily tight to pull the engine halves together (luckily this area is hidden by the timing chain cases) also luckily the gearbox is a perfect fit so maybe the engine halves were warped for some reason and that will be the only problem I get. Which is also lucky as I intend to build the engine on a display stand to be put alongside the car (as if it's just been rebuilt ready to be put back in)The body moulding is awesome hardly any seams at all and the detail in the kit seems incredible 

This is the same scale as the Bentley so is quite a large car.

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

I'm in for this one - looks like a fantastic kit with a lot of crisp details.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

nice look'in car  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sir, your finishing skills are phenomenal!!!! I hope that someday I can get that skilled....

Beautiful work.....

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Amazing work, wow!  And you move along so quickly too!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

look'in good KP!   the paint finish came out great.......have you done the rest of the body yet?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

This is going to be one gorgeous car! I'm late to the party but I'm staying now unto the end...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi all well the tamiya supplied engine is done, I've looked on line but cant find picures the throttle linkages, I will have to ask my boss if he has any references (he seems to have an know anything Porsche related (hes an advisor on several official Porsche boards and is highly respected for his knowledge))started the decals, which are great but, the ones round the grill are really hard especially the ones around the square cut outs (if I could have guaranteed the colour match it would have been far and away easier to mask and spray it.

Ps I've barely started the decals (what ever happened to the English version (which I much preferred transfers) decals, where did that even come from you transfer the image from one place to another what you de (cant even think where cal fits in) sorry rant over, I just dont understand it.

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

Impressive as usual. Personally, the only part of this feature I'm interested in is the engine. The rest is a waste of space!

There you go; I'm already a sinner. I'm always wondering why the manufacturers of these highly detailed kits (cars, bikes and aircraft) don't capitalise by selling stand alone kits of the engines. The tooling is already available, bought and paid for.

I'm probably one of many petrol heads that would buy them.

Well, Tamiya has been offering multiple engines at 1/6 scale: Honda CB750, Kawazaki 1300 and a couple more.

There is also a Volvo truck engine available (Pocher/Italeri perhaps).

Yes, I am like you and wish they would offer legendary engines such as the BMW V-12 equipping the Mc Laren F1 and other Porsche engines.

Yves

7 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Well, Tamiya has been offering multiple engines at 1/6 scale: Honda CB750, Kawazaki 1300 and a couple more.

There is also a Volvo truck engine available (Pocher/Italeri perhaps).

Yes, I am like you and wish they would offer legendary engines such as the BMW V-12 equipping the Mc Laren F1 and other Porsche engines.

Yves

Thanks Yves, I wasn't aware of the engine kits. I suppose the wish list would be endless. Separate kits from the recent Airfix 1:24 Typhoon and Hellcat would be possible, again the tooling is there.

KP........ don't know if you've ever lifted a real car engine, but I'm sure that Porsche motor is no featherweight. Though your stand is functional for the model, it would give a better impression of the mass of the thing if the stand was a little more substantial. If yours was real, the health and safety guys would have a fit. Keep at it, you're doing another fine job.

1 hour ago, shipman said:

Though your stand is functional for the model, it would give a better impression of the mass of the thing if the stand was a little more substantial. If yours was real, the health and safety guys would have a fit. Keep at it, you're doing another fine job.

Agreed on all counts, the stand, which is a display/storage stand, would at least be a cross bracketed Pratt truss in rectangular tube steel. That engine is at least a half ton of metal....

And yeah, it's worth restating as many times as possible, Beautiful Work!!!!

The only thing I would like is on one of his builds he goes thru the step by step process and show how and what he uses to get those finishes.... especially the white molded UHMD plastic parts.... one of the most difficult finishes to replicate, harder than BMF.....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

28 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

I think the stand depicted by KPNuts is perfectly fine for a Porsche engine. The engine is not that heavy, being built entirely of aluminum.

Here are a few pictures of traditional Porsche engine stands: 

771738dff11f765f01890ecb49438081.jpg.e9e72b49ae37d6567d1ea1e0092fb6fe.jpg

OnEngineStand41123295460.jpg.161305846397f0cc5afd035b8d752a06.jpg

Yves

Good grief! I'm used to working on aluminium multi cylinder bike engines. Crankshafts and gear clusters are always steel. And they are still heavy. The Porsche engine is a lot bigger. Can't argue with your photo's, but I'd be wearing steel capped boots and a hard hat anywhere near that.

Actually most of the castings in a Porsche are magnesium. When I first started working at my new job I was asked to move an engine block of an rsr (that's a 2.7 litre engine) there were no offers of help moving it so I prepared for the effort heaved it up and nearly fell over, i could literally pick it up with one finger, same with gearbox castings (same cannot be said with a 928 or a 944 block which only 2.5 l is cast iron and I could barely lift it off the floor, that did require help to get on the bench)

Did some work on the fuel and oil tanks and stuff under the hood, one detail I love and am in awe of is they even went to the trouble of doing the fuse box and making a removable cover for it. I've added as many pipes and cables as I can think of (although when all the other stuff is installed you can barely see it.

Still going to add the heater control cables.

Hi Egilman not sure which parts you are referring to uhmd just ask I'm happy to explain how I get any finish on any part (I must admit over the years I've got lazy, I find something that works on one thing then I use it for every part like that afterwards so I have a few favourite products or techniques I use all the time)nothing I do is difficult or requires any skill at all, it's usually just lucky happenstance. 

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

Amazing details.  Excellent job on this.  I feel that I am looking at a real engine and accessories.  You are building an award winning model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

5 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Egilman not sure which parts you are referring to uhmd just ask I'm happy to explain how I get any finish on any part (I must admit over the years I've got lazy, I find something that works on one thing then I use it for every part like that afterwards so I have a few favourite products or techniques I use all the time)nothing I do is difficult or requires any skill at all, it's usually just lucky happenstance. 

That's more than luck my friend...

The blower fan on top of the motor, the fuel tank in that off white pasty semi-translucent plastic? I"ve tried for years to replicate that look with no luck at all...

Quote:

superb progress Kp........the body finish is awesome!  the engine is a work of art as well..........and yes,  we use similar engine stands around here.   gonna be a sweet look'in model when finished :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 7/1/2020 at 11:26 PM, kpnuts said:

Comes in the kit like that I just dirty it up a bit.

Yeah, I suppose it is easier to just let the plastic take it's own color..... and more natural that way....

Shame I was hoping that there was a specific technique....

Quote: