ALFRED by Schooner - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - scale 1/8" (1:96) - Continental Navy Frigate

I just used some black rigging thread from my stash (Amati maybe?) with a standard whipping rig.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

• 2 weeks later...

Fighting Tops

The tops are all scratch. The instructions recommend making the bases from sheet brass but I find working with plywood to be easier so I traced their shapes and transferred them to 1/32” ply and cut them out:

IMG_20211229_084750.thumb.jpg.76701f85406556073b072cc37118cfd8.jpg

The planking is per the plans, cut a little long and then sanded back to match the base. Given the thiness of the bases I used CA to glue the planking, avoiding wood glue since it's moisture might cause swelling and warping. 

IMG_20211231_132452.thumb.jpg.50d2d5331fc96f55fe1ce1276e2d6e86.jpg

I used the tip of an awl to drag along the plank seams so that hopefully they will be noticeable after painting. The rims have been added. Next will be the battens and deadeyes.

IMG_20220103_114536.thumb.jpg.0275686ad1e65aeca7dd7885e01745cc.jpg

Edited by schooner

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 2 weeks later...

Fighting Tops (cont)

I’ve spent quite a bit of time on these and more to go - I never really paid much attention to them when looking at period ship models and did not realize how many parts it takes to make them up.

Anyway, the battens have been added (why they put these trip hazards/ankle-twisters on the top surface is beyond me), the slots for the deadeyes have been cut and the crosstrees added:

IMG_20220112_143804.thumb.jpg.97fec5ea8fc32f79dea6fbe167228719.jpg

Still to go are the holes for adding the blocks that hang under them, the mountings for the swivel guns, the band that will cover the outboard face and hold the deadeyes in place and the rear railings.

Edited by schooner

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

Very nicely done. I always assumed that the battens were there to give the sailors something to dig their heels in against as the ship was rolling around on a rough sea - since the motion would be even greater up there in the tops. But I have no idea if that is really the case....

Current build: HMS Speedy, Vanguard Models 1:64

Past Projects: 18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways, 1:48

22 Foot Yawl, Vanguard Models, 1:64

I had not thought of that,  I suspect you are right!

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 9 months later...

OK, I've been procrastinating long enough and need to get going on this build again.

I've finished up the fighting tops.

I decided to paint the top of the tops gray, as is done on the Constitution kit, I think it looks better and it makes sense from a practicality viewpoint since it makes all those trip hazards more visible than if everything was black on black:

IMG_20221029_082114.thumb.jpeg.2997fb8cc5c692a4b3a4bd82119d5879.jpeg

All the blocks have been added, more on the bottom than on the top. The kit provides britannia metal blocks but for small ones I find wood is easier to work with. Brittania looks better than wood since they are already properly shaped but I find it easier to strop with thread than with wire so this build will probably have a mix of wood and britannia blocks.

IMG_20221029_082136.thumb.jpeg.c288b114b71902e42a4c3c57d1df981e.jpeg

The railings have been added. The netting is just tacked glued along the upper edge since it will have to be moved to accommodate some of the rigging like the stays:

Note from later in the build: I ended up taking off the railings when I started the rigging - having them there just made things harder than they needed to be. I'll put them back on near the end of the build.

IMG_20221029_093205.thumb.jpeg.ef443d29112e8549196546b2481988ee.jpeg

Finally I ordered some swivel guns from the BlueJacket catalog. They are just dry-fitted here which is why they are a little crooked. I'll permanently mount them once all the rigging is done.

IMG_20221029_095054.thumb.jpeg.40d9b319aa5377fcacdf98c778f4d987.jpeg

IMG_20221029_093202.jpeg

Edited by schooner

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

On 6/17/2020 at 8:47 AM, schooner said:

300px-NH_85212-KN.jpg.a41c05a4c184243c7a602ee2bc17737f.jpg

I'm going to be building a model of the Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED using Bluejacket's solid hull kit.

alfred.jpg.88d640623a660972cc6b31832f777dd5.jpg

The ALFRED was one of the first ships commissioned into the Continental Navy in 1775. Converted from a new merchant ship she was John Paul Jones' first ship.

I picked this kit because I've never done a 3-masted ship model before, and as much as I would love to build a clipper ship I simply don't have room for it, or to be more precise, as far as my wife is concerned there is not enough room in our house for both me and a large cased sailing ship model. Bluejacket's ALFRED meets my needs perfectly because the completed model is only about 18 inches long and 13 inches high but is fully detailed and it will fit on one of my bookcase shelves.

I need to point out that this kit is NOT a good choice for a first build. BlueJacket uses a 1-9 scale to rate the complexity of their kits and this one gets a solid "9". Before choosing this kit you should have experience working with a solid hull kit and also with sailing ship rigging - this one has as much as a clipper ship kit but on a hull that is only about 1/3 as long so the rigging it will be an adventure. If you think you might like this one I encourage to call BlueJacket and talk to them - they are very helpful and can assist you in your decision.

My next post will show the kit's contents.

Wow!  You are doing beautifully! 

I strongly recommend that you get a book from Model Shipways called The Neophyte Ship Modelers Jackstay.  It is an easy-to-follow general guide to solid hull ship modeling and is very inexpensive. Also, Model Shipways once produced several model kits of American clipper ship kits that are in a small scale. They can be found on sites like eBay.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by Bill Morrison

Thanks Bill!

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 3 weeks later...

Deadeyes and Chainplates

The deadeye/chainplate rigs consist of 3 or 4 parts (small deadeyes get 3). The kit provides Britannia metal deadeyes that come pre-stropped (thank goodness), the next part below them is the Mid-link, which are all the same size so it is easy to mass produce them by wrapping 24 gage wire 9 or 10 time around a dowel and then cutting them free and using pliers to bend them into more of an oval shape. The next part is the Toe Links, that took me the most time to make since for the large deadeyes they have to be custom fabricated out of wire so that the bottom of the last piece (the chainplate) can reach to or near the blackstrake which is the first strake above the wales. I was getting ready to fabricate the bottom pieces (the chainplates) I when was rooting around the bottom of the box and found the remnant of the PE fret and lo and behold there they were (the parts list does not break down the PE fret parts and when I inventoried the kit 2 years ago I had no idea what they were).

Here are the 4 parts, along with 2 pins from the BlueJacket catalog (F0040) that just fit inside the chainplate holes. I cut all but the top 1/4” off each pin so I would not have to drill as deep.

parts.thumb.jpg.8484c71462309c3b6a27cca04de84d32.jpg

The orientation of the assemblies was determined by running a line from the mast top, across each deadeye and a pencil mark made on the hull just above the wales:

149342918_linerig.thumb.jpg.05c2506858248d53ecaeb229fe223e65.jpg

The wire was fabricated by bending around pins and then shaping using pliers:

jig.thumb.jpg.c136c47ca2e6f06c23561c0568001817.jpg

Here’s the finished assemblies mounted on the model:

finish.thumb.jpg.15289ac0083e6f6625530be541067c9f.jpg

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 11 months later...

Back to the Shipyard

So, after a six month diversion into the world of radio control while building the SEGUIN, followed by an extended road trip out to the West Coast, it’s finally time to get going again with the ALFRED.

Before starting on the masting and rigging I wanted to do 2 things.

First up was fixing the upper head rails.  My first attempt left them pretty straight without any of the “swoop” normally seen on the headrails of period ships (swoop being my term for vertical curvature):

image2.thumb.jpeg.ed83dc5641f1ffd3ce7c15444cba9e1d.jpeg

So I removed them (the lower headrails had to be left alone since they conform to the outer edge of the PE grating) and replaced them with the same mix of Brittania metal from BlueJacket faced with plastic channel pieces  from Stripstyrene; I’m much happier with the re-do:

image1.thumb.jpeg.d6f1c57fb21a15556605c8ee85a11cc1.jpeg

image3.thumb.jpeg.4e5ae810d70c5499a6dbe001c0c7422f.jpeg

The other thing I wanted to do was to mount the model on its pedestals and display board because it would be a real nightmare trying to do it with all the masts and rigging in place. Since the masting and rigging should not require placing any serious pressure on the hull I think now is the time to do it:

image2-2.thumb.jpeg.85be8fe953c236ef4da7bec7e8dd2894.jpeg

image0.thumb.jpeg.ba2937b8bb77218b81e336091c06c5a9.jpeg

Now I can put the hull on the shelf and work on the upper masts.

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 2 weeks later...

Topmasts and Top Gallant Masts

I’ve been fabricating the upper masts per the plans. The kit provides mast caps for the lower masts but not the upper ones so I ordered some small ones from BlueJacket.

I had some trouble getting the crosstrees right until I figured out that is was best to assemble them on the masts to ensure a proper fit around the different sections of the masts.

The Fore and main Top and Top Gallant masts are done (just dry fitted to the lower masts) and the Mizzen is ready for assembly. I’ve fitted brass pins in the masts where the yards will go:

IMG_0076.thumb.jpeg.5aad47ba441c691d1da2524eb27eb6a2.jpeg

Next up will be the yards.

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 2 weeks later...

Yardarms

The yards have all been fabricated per the plans with cleats, chocks and studding sail irons attached. Now it’s time to paint them and add the foot ropes and blocks.

image0.thumb.jpeg.60d43169ad2d8d5f40db3e0a009b23de.jpeg

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 1 month later...

More yard work (the other kind)

The yards have been painted and the blocks and eyes for the slings, jeers, lifts and braces have been added. This has been slow work for me because it is pretty boring and repetitive.

Next up will be adding the foot ropes.

IMG_0104.thumb.jpeg.0bef99a0084610e9d32ec50c8ccdb178.jpeg

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words and the likes. I've been plugging away on the foot ropes and will then double check to make sure I have mounted all the blocks on the masts that I can at this point and then it will be time to actually start rigging (finally!).

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• 2 weeks later...

Foot ropes and Burton Pendants

I’d originally planned (hoped) to use some very small eyebolts I have on hand for the foot rope stirrups (the vertical lines that hold up the inner portions of the foot ropes). Unfortunately at this scale the upper yards are too thin to withstand drilling with even a #74 bit so I had to go with thread. After some trial and error I finally settled on making the stirrups by starting with an overhand knot tied around a needle to form an eye and spot glued to hold it. The stirrup was then led down the aft side of the yard and tied off to the eye would be 2-3 scale feet below the bottom of the yard. The foot rope was then tied off and one end, threaded thru the stirrups and secured at the other end. Once fabricated the stirrups were weighted with some small clothespins and everything was brushed with diluted white glue to stiffen them.

2.thumb.jpeg.02f3d94957c792dbc73a8e1f39d497b8.jpeg

3.thumb.jpeg.38835303fb11bf6c9578340e53cce200.jpeg

Next up was what has got to be the easiest part of the whole rigging process - the Burton Pendants which were anchoring points for blocks when handling heavy loads on deck. Two bullseyes were seized at opposite ends of a piece of line, they are then looped over the crosstrees of the tops and upper shrouds. The Fore and Main masts get 4 lower ones and 2 upper, the Mizzen just gets 2 lower ones. The pendants will all get the white glue treatment  to keep them hanging vertical.

5.thumb.jpeg.5f9779fec9e703d3254de06920fde131.jpeg

4.thumb.jpeg.3b37ac20498d7891ebc75ae6857802e4.jpeg

Next up will be adding the lower shrouds to the masts.

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

Rigging intentions and starting the lower shrouds

As I get ready to start the rigging I thought it might be a good time to explain my plan for going about it, always subject to change since my plans/intentions/assumptions are blissfully free of relevant experience, this being my first real rigging job.

Resources

• The kit’s instructions contain a general discussion of how to go about the rigging but they assume a level of experience/knowledge that I don’t have. The rigging diagram is one sheet of plans that shows all the standing and some of the running rigging - it is a real spaghetti pile that I find hard to pick out individual lines from but it is useful for figuring out shroud lengths and deadeye spacing. The instructions do contain good info with regard to line sizes and the belaying diagram is fine.

• I will be using a mix of kit-supplied Brittania metal blocks and wood ones from SYREN Ship Model Co. For rigging line I will be using a lot from SYREN with the sizes being the closest match available to the kit’s.

• I’ll be using Lennarth Peterson’s Rigging Period Ship Models as my primary reference for what to rig. The book is based on the late 18th century Royal Navy Frigate HMS Melampus. It has almost NO text but is made up of a clear diagram for each rigging line. It has the advantage that they are arranged in a sequence that makes sense for rigging a model with minimal interference between new and previously-rigged lines. The book does not contain any information about line or block sizes nor are the diagrams to any consistent scale so dimensions are not useful. It does have diagrams of all sails and their rigging for those who want to go that far and it does have belaying diagrams although I will be using the kit instructions since ALFRED had a lot fewer belaying pins than MELAMPUS. The differences between ALFRED and MELAMPUS are mainly ones of subtraction; ALFRED did not have a spanker boom, martingales, boomkins, flying jib, spirit sail topsail yard or royal yards.

1.thumb.jpeg.b640b080283b46a72cad877639dde0f3.jpeg

General plan of attack

This is going to be a challenging rigging job because of space constraints. To start with ALFRED was a small ship and at 1:96 (1/8”) scale there is little room to work on belaying rigging, for example there is less than one inch separating the aftermost deadeye on the main chains from the forward most on the mizzen chains. Because of this I plan on including all of the standing rigging but only those running rigging lines that are associated with controlling and securing the yards (i.e halyards/slings/jeers, lifts, and braces). I will also attempt to rig each mast as much as possible, including the upper shrouds and the yards, before stepping them so that I can secure the running rigging lines that are tied off around the mast bases and many of the stays before securing the shrouds.

Starting the lower shrouds

After dry fitting each mast in place I used a piece of line to determine the shroud length for each mast, leaving what I hope is enough extra to allow for seizing around the deadeyes. I held off attaching the topmasts so that I could make up the shrouds off the mast and then slip them over the masthead before the mast caps are installed. The shroud loops are secured with an unglued seizing that can be cinched up to the mast head and then brushed with diluted white glue.

3.thumb.jpeg.d109e97160c0a85a360c38a1539a742d.jpeg

2.thumb.jpeg.3da5b781de0798d819895ba2b3a1fecb.jpeg

All 16 shrouds were easy to make up in this manner and were added to the masts, alternating each pair, starboard to port and forward to aft. They are all labeled with a small piece of tape holding the pairs together.

5.thumb.jpeg.3767cba1d9a24182137ea2cea3fa0fdd.jpeg

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

On 3/8/2021 at 8:38 AM, schooner said:

Main Deck planking completed

The planking for the main deck is completed - I’ll wait until after it’s done on the quarterdeck before I clean all the saw dust out of the gun deck.

IMG_20210308_093203.thumb.jpg.37db26572dc009e4d6ac1c1175ae72f2.jpg

IMG_20210308_093221.thumb.jpg.af36a91840c4dff3ae69891bdf72e541.jpg

Next up will be installing the short vertical bulkhead that divides the main deck from the quarterdeck.

Nice job on the nibbing!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Topmast Shrouds

The shroud pairs and individual ones (odd number) were made up same as the lower ones:

1.thumb.jpeg.771a8c67db1197f3cd75669aadaf12b7.jpeg

A simple jig like that found on countless other build logs was made up with 2 pieces of wire to fit into the upper and lower deadeyes to keep their spacing per the plans and the same to each of their neighbor’s:

2.thumb.jpeg.9319473dd90a44f62f97d21eab9172d2.jpeg

3.thumb.jpeg.c39e25bc9b9245ddadd2abdd4e91ad70.jpeg

Once the shrouds were in place it was just a matter of reeving the lanyards thru the deadeyes and securing them:

4.thumb.jpeg.b23baadfc535fc6b147f0d24f3272c1a.jpeg

5.thumb.jpeg.127c2e940f96b1de8d3c65c2908aa244.jpeg

Next on the to -do list is rigging the Futtock Shrouds, the Catharpans (hopefully) and the ratlines.

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

• The title was changed to ALFRED by Schooner - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - scale 1/8" (1:96) - Continental Navy Frigate