Before you post your build log please read this - Starting and naming your build log

PLEASE NOTE.....Build logs are to be light hearted places for members to discuss the building of their model. It is NOT the place for senseless chatter and conversation. Please DO NOT post nonsense in another persons log. They might be nice and not say anything to you but that doesnt mean you can hi-jack their build logs. It makes reading through the logs a horrible experience for 99% of our members. 

KEEP THE NONSENSE CHATTER AND SNARKY HUMOR OUT OF THE LOGS AND KEEP THEM ON TOPIC....all people who dont comply will be warned...and all non relevant content will be deleted.

This area is intended for your build logs of any KITS you are working on, whether they are Wood, Plastic, Card, or RC kits. This is the place where you can document your step-by-step progress. Post images of your work and share your techniques and ideas with your fellow Model Ship World members. Do not post only photos of your completed model. Those should go into our "COMPLETED" model gallery where you should set up an album.

How to set up your log?

Create a new topic in "Build Logs for Ship Model Kits" for each individual kit you are working on. Please place them in the appropriate era  for them.  The date ranges listed are used to identify your model kit by the era in which the ship was launched.  As you make more progress on it, reply within that topic to post updates on it.

Please keep all such posts on topic with regard to the kit log you are working on.

How to Name your build log?

We have a "Build Log Naming Convention" to enable the Search Engine to sort them Alphabetically by "Ship's Name" and/or "Builder's Name".

We urge you to follow the guidelines below to make this work properly. If you don't, a Moderator will do it for you anyway - so you may as well get it right first time and save us the trouble.

To Edit your Build Log Title - simply go to the FIRST post of your Build Log and click on the Edit button in the bottom-right corner. The Title Box is at the top in the Edit Box.

This is how your Build Log Title must be set up for for all build logs for kits:

Name of the ship - your user name - the mfg name - the scale

For example....

HMS Victory by Chuck - Caldercraft - 1:64

• 1 year later...

Quick question, I have a kit that my father started before he passed away suddenly. It is in need of repair / restoration and I would like to continue it to completion. Where should this build log go? It is a kit, but there is also a good bit of restoration to be done before I can continue the kit? I just want to make sure I put it in the right place and name it correctly. Thank you.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Current Build: The Harvey

Completed builds: HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat

• 2 years later...

Hello MSW,

I am about to create a build log for my HMS Victory - Heller - 1/100. I have already read through the logs of some of the completed versions of this kit, some of which are 2+ years old. I am utterly mind boggled by the quality of the builds and expertise that is out there. Do I need to ‘tag’ these folk or, assuming they’re still active on MSW and/or motivated to reply, will they receive alerts or notices concerning my updates? This all may become obvious to me as I start to go through the process of building my log. As an FYI, while I’m new to MSW I am not new to the Heller 1/100 Victory. I bought my kit in the early 80s (like others I see in this forum) and the hull is mostly completed. I am now retired and finally have the time, and motivation, to push this to completion. It’s redundant to say, but the rigging is more than half the battle and I will need to tap into that MSW expertise. Many thanks in advance!

Malcolm

The usual tags to add would be the name of the ship (i.e. Victory, but without the HMS part) and the kit manufacturer (Heller). If you would like to credit particular build logs and direct members to them, you can do that by adding links to them in your posts. I'll show you an example:

"You can see examples of the Heller kit being built here and here."

For more tips on how to use MSW, read here. 😉

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thank you for those tips! One more question, please. I submitted a hello message to the new member forum. Since I am building the original version of the Heller 1/100 Victory (there’s a 3rd generation version now available) I uploaded a picture of the box. Yikes, it took up a the whole page and something like 2.2Mg! As I submit pictures to my building log, do I need to re-size them so I am not taking up too much storage? I read the guide and saw no mention of re-sizing but I wanted to check. Also, if I am submitting multiple pictures, am I able to caption and add text to them separately - do I do this before hitting the “insert” button? Thanks!

Our forum has a built in resizing function. Double-click on any image in your post -- a dialog box will open that allows you to resize your images. I tend to resize mine to either 480 or 640 pixels in width; there is a checkbox to mark to have the software maintain the original proportions. Also, resizing only affects the display size -- members can see the original image by clicking the mage in your finished post.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

2 hours ago, Malcolm Brown said:

Thank you for those tips! One more question, please. I submitted a hello message to the new member forum. Since I am building the original version of the Heller 1/100 Victory (there’s a 3rd generation version now available) I uploaded a picture of the box. Yikes, it took up a the whole page and something like 2.2Mg! As I submit pictures to my building log, do I need to re-size them so I am not taking up too much storage? I read the guide and saw no mention of re-sizing but I wanted to check. Also, if I am submitting multiple pictures, am I able to caption and add text to them separately - do I do this before hitting the “insert” button? Thanks!

Hi sorry for yet another question. I just started a build log for the Heller 1/100 Victory but it looks like I might have selected the wrong forum. I selected the 1801-1850 forum (Trafalgar took place in 1805 and Victory remained afloat until 1921). However,  it seems my more learned fellow builders used the 1751 to 1800 forum. I fully realise the keel for Victory was laid in 1759. Anyway, am I able to change forums?