HMS Winchelsea 1:48 by Ron Burns

Very nice job on the stern framing!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi everyone, 

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday!

I need advice! I have been following the many great Winnie builds and have come to the point where I have added the filler blocks under stern. Fairing this bit has me a bit confused. I hope I have gotten it right or at least on the right track. Please have a look and pass judgement. For a start I know I did a dumb thing and made the blocks too big. Of course it dawned on me after the glue set! 

Ron

stern-framing.jpg

stern-framing2.jpg

Edited by Ron Burns

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

If I ever build another Winnie I’d probably do it exactly the way you did. Glue up your lower counter planking now and test run some planks and see how it looks at that intersection. The only thing I see is that the top of your filler blocks don’t quite meet the lower edge of the frames, where the lower counter planks will land But it Should work and looks good to me so far.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

13 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

If I ever build another Winnie I’d probably do it exactly the way you did. Glue up your lower counter planking now and test run some planks and see how it looks at that intersection. The only thing I see is that the top of your filler blocks don’t quite meet the lower edge of the frames, where the lower counter planks will land But it Should work and looks good to me so far.

JJ

JJ  Thanks for the assurances! You're right on the money! I buggered up the side you noticed so quickly. Butting up a plank against one on the counter seems to be ok....On to the other side. My wife is starting to ask when all this sanding is going to come to an end. Wait until I show her all the fairing that needs to be done topside :)

Stern framing is complete! (I think)...Thanks again JJ for your assistance. It really helped a great deal! Just a note to self here..pay attention to what people say and write. Next time, use lite ply instead of Baltic Birch. For those of you just thinking about building your own from scratch, Baltic Birch is a pain in the butt to sand. Anyways, on to the bollards!

stern-framing3.jpg

stern-framing4.jpg

Edited by Ron Burns
bad formatting

Looks good Ron, just check and double check those stern frame angles, as chuck said they are super important when it comes time for the q galleries. Mine were just a smidge off and I could see the error, luckily it didn’t set me back much but it’s there. Your counter planking and hull planking intersections should go smooth.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

19 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Looks good Ron, just check and double check those stern frame angles, as chuck said they are super important when it comes time for the q galleries. Mine were just a smidge off and I could see the error, luckily it didn’t set me back much but it’s there. Your counter planking and hull planking intersections should go smooth.

:)Those stern angles....yep. I caught that mess up right after the glue set but managed to pry them out and re-align them. I printed out portions of the blueprint and the stern frame guide on heavy card and went over it from every angle. Talk about needing Depends :)

On 12/28/2020 at 2:01 AM, Ron Burns said:

Hi everyone, 

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday!

I need advice! I have been following the many great Winnie builds and have come to the point where I have added the filler blocks under stern. Fairing this bit has me a bit confused. I hope I have gotten it right or at least on the right track. Please have a look and pass judgement. For a start I know I did a dumb thing and made the blocks too big. Of course it dawned on me after the glue set! 

Ron

stern-framing.jpg

stern-framing2.jpg

extremely classy Ron im picking up the clues :) Vlad 

Hi everyone, 

I don't know if I can say this but....bollocks to bollards! Darn did I have a time with them. I burned through the included laser cut pieces and ended up making some of my own blanks. I still haven't gotten them quite right so I haven't glued them in yet.  As it stands, CHAPTER 1 is DONE!!!!! Adding the 1/8 fairing strips and hance pieces sure gives this ship some beautiful lines. Yep, I think I was a little over zealous with the red paint :) Thank God it gets mostly covered up! As always, thank you for the likes and encouragement. 

bollards2.jpg

chapter1.jpg

Looking good Ron. The gunports look to all be in a nice line with the sheer, bollards look good as well. Don’t sweat them too much as you’re going to bury all that pretty work in black paint!!!.

JJ

Hey, this is the fastest I've done anything in a long time! Thank you Chuck for making the counter so easy to plank with your laser cut precision. This is the second time now that I didn't follow through on freely given, valuable advice. First time we all know was the Baltic Birch thing. 2nd thing Chuck mentioned was to only pencil in one side of the planks as doing 2 sides becomes too dark. Thankfully it will be covered with a frieze and I have learned a valuable lesson! Ron, Pay attention to your betters! (when in my juvenile delinquency have I heard that?) Anyways, joking aside, I'm happy with the way the counter looks but I know I messed up somewhere. I can't wait until my next build when all of this trepidation and anxiety turns into experience! Curious, does it hurt to throw a coat of WOP on the counter prior to frieze application?

counter.jpg

Your counter is looking really nice.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Throw the WOP on.... you’ll be staring at it for quite awhile while you are planking, it may as well look good!😁

56 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Throw the WOP on.... you’ll be staring at it for quite awhile while you are planking, it may as well look good!😁

Tossed on the WOP and man, it pops! It's a great place to experiment a bit being able to cover it up should it go south a bit. I can only imagine

what a second or third coat will do after some 600 grit sanding or better. Just trying to figure out where I can grab some 1/8th strips long enough

to map out my wales..

counter2.jpg

13 hours ago, Ron Burns said:

Tossed on the WOP and man, it pops! It's a great place to experiment a bit being able to cover it up should it go south a bit. I can only imagine

what a second or third coat will do after some 600 grit sanding or better. Just trying to figure out where I can grab some 1/8th strips long enough

to map out my wales..

counter2.jpg

Beautiful stern planking preparation Ron. Something i didnt manage to achieve as i wanted. Vlad.

14 hours ago, Ron Burns said:

to map out my wales..

counter2.jpg

So now you have a small teaser of what your planking will look like! Should be motivation enough.

i just bought some spruce strips at the hardware store and ripped them through my saw to make a few battens.

Thanks guys for the encouragement! JJ, I did what you suggested and it was well worth it! That poly sure does nice things to Alaskan cedar.  I'm at the point where my inexperience is driving me nuts. I'm not used to 2nd guessing myself so much but I'm sure in time it will get better. I found some cheapo basswood sticks for battens at a hobby store miles away. It was a tossup...hardware store or just pay 60 cents and get them cut already. Figures I find the wood but small brass nails are on back order forever. Anyways, I mapped out my starboard wale and I *think* it looks ok. What do you folks think?  PS. since posting these pics, I saw that it needed to come down just a wee bit at the bow. It's fixed :) I spend too much time here..good night1 

wale-layout1.jpg

wale-layout2.jpg

wale-layout3.jpg

wale-layout4.jpg

Edited by Ron Burns

That looks like a nice run, just make sure it’s perfectly even on both sides, I ended up with about a 1/32-1/64 difference in the waist which isn’t too noticeable and didn’t really affect anything but still annoying. Also it’s easier to fair up that batten if you keep the nails at a necessary minimum. Go super slow with that first plank as it will define the rest of them. You can fudge the Wales a bit of you need to though, I did. It’s in my log.

JJ 

1 hour ago, scrubbyj427 said:

That looks like a nice run, just make sure it’s perfectly even on both sides, I ended up with about a 1/32-1/64 difference in the waist which isn’t too noticeable and didn’t really affect anything but still annoying. Also it’s easier to fair up that batten if you keep the nails at a necessary minimum. Go super slow with that first plank as it will define the rest of them. You can fudge the Wales a bit of you need to though, I did. It’s in my log.

JJ 

Thanks JJ, weird how I kinda latched onto you as my mentor :)  I appreciate it more than you can imagine. I skipped the nail part and even tried using those T-type pins. I started splitting the crappy basswood so I marked and pre-drilled holes for the pins. That didn't work well either so I ended up tacking a batten with cyano every few bulkheads. The joints were easy to pop off and re-tack. For Shi*s and giggles I took random measurements along the waist to compare to the other side and they seem to be close. Close enough only counts for horseshoes, handgrenades and crap fights so maybe I'll be lucky and pull this off!

On 1/10/2021 at 8:18 PM, Ron Burns said:

Thanks JJ, weird how I kinda latched onto you as my mentor :)  I appreciate it more than you can imagine. I skipped the nail part and even tried using those T-type pins. I started splitting the crappy basswood so I marked and pre-drilled holes for the pins. That didn't work well either so I ended up tacking a batten with cyano every few bulkheads. The joints were easy to pop off and re-tack. For Shi*s and giggles I took random measurements along the waist to compare to the other side and they seem to be close. Close enough only counts for horseshoes, handgrenades and crap fights so maybe I'll be lucky and pull this off!

I enjoy helping you avoid all the mistakes I made on my build! It’s like a second shot for me without all the sanding!

i think the battens I got were spruce from Home Depot, the ended up being very well behaved and I nailed them below the lowest wale line and used them to actually place the first strake and pulled them

off later. It helped with the curve but was a little messy removing them.

JJ

51B38259-0996-4474-828F-E3CD8E17C046.jpeg

AA4AAA2C-A89E-4FAD-8F3E-9C430ADABF62.jpeg

Tom, JJ, Vlad et all, Thanks for the encouragement!  Well, here it is. My first wale strake. I promise, no more posts here until I actually *really* get something done :) Chuck, thanks for your planking videos. Made myself a little planking board, swiped my wife's iron and learned how to edge bend. Took me 3 planks bent the wrong way to realize what I was doing at the bow. Once figured out, she lay flat and happy. Gonna work out how to re-saw on my little bandsaw and make some black hornbeam planks for the 2nd layer. Thanks for the patience everyone!

Ron

wale-strake1.jpg

wale-strake2.jpg

OK, I lied. I had to show this. 1 wale down, 3/4 wale to go. I'm really glad this is a first layer planking and that i will be adding more. Its definitely a learning process and I'm positive there will be more than a few do-overs after this. JJ, thanks for those pics. They made a world of difference. One thing I learned, wait until all strakes are installed, then sand. I had installed 2, sanded a bit and then the other 2. My sanding is never perfect and it took just a wee bit more to level out all 4 strakes in the end. I also like the idea of giving those planks a bit of extra meat on their bones just to enable a bit more sanding without getting too thin. 

wale-lower-star.jpg

wale-lower-star2.jpg

wale-lower-star3.jpg

Edited by Ron Burns

8 hours ago, Ron Burns said:

OK, I lied. I had to show this. 1 wale down, 3/4 wale to go. I'm really glad this is a first layer planking and that i will be adding more. Its definitely a learning process and I'm positive there will be more than a few do-overs after this. JJ, thanks for those pics. They made a world of difference. One thing I learned, wait until all strakes are installed, then sand. I had installed 2, sanded a bit and then the other 2. My sanding is never perfect and it took just a wee bit more to level out all 4 strakes in the end. I also like the idea of giving those planks a bit of extra meat on their bones just to enable a bit more sanding without getting too thin. 

wale-lower-star.jpg

wale-lower-star2.jpg

wale-lower-star3.jpg

Fabulous work ! 

5 hours ago, wyz said:

Hey Ron, what ship model builder who really cares about doing things correctly doesn't have do-overs?  I checked my birth certificate to make sure that wasn't my middle name.

Tom

Tom, I think I should check my birth certificate 'cause we might have the same middle name :) I just have a IV or V after my name! I ended up ripping that entire side off yesterday as it was a bit wonky.  The first strake didn't sit right and and when being pried off decided to take some of it's brothers with it. I can't imagine trying to remove so much on a solid hull! The surface area being bonded to would make that a supreme PITA!