HMS Winchelsea 1:48 by Ron Burns

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone :)

Back in business! My Byrnes saw arrived Wednesday and I am one happy camper! This saw is everything good that has ever been written or spoken about it. In all honesty it took a bit to become accustomed to its ways but it was minimal. What a difference from what I was using. Once again I should have listened and saved my pennies instead of trying to get away with cheap. Anyways, Winnie is back on track, some new planks are cut and I'll start building again tomorrow. Having consistent results from the saw should make a world of difference!   

20210416_172413.jpg

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

8 hours ago, Ron Burns said:

Hi everyone :)

Back in business! My Byrnes saw arrived Wednesday and I am one happy camper! This saw is everything good that has ever been written or spoken about it. In all honesty it took a bit to become accustomed to its ways but it was minimal. What a difference from what I was using. Once again I should have listened and saved my pennies instead of trying to get away with cheap. Anyways, Winnie is back on track, some new planks are cut and I'll start building again tomorrow. Having consistent results from the saw should make a world of difference!   

20210416_172413.jpg

what a machine. i envy you Ron. in a good sense :) enjoy. 

16 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Looks good Ron! I think I need that saw blade for mine. Cuts look really clean!

JJ

Thanks JJ :) I picked up the blade at the same time as the saw. It's the 3 inch 90t .03 blade. First thing I learned was to touch the blade with the candle every 2-3 planks and it cuts like butter and smooth as satin. 

14 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

what a machine. i envy you Ron. in a good sense :) enjoy.

Than you Vlad :) My little Chinese saw was making great cuts but the stupid fence on it was always trouble to make square. Getting the same distance from the blade after doing some other job was a real pain and I would waste at least 5 planks just getting it close. We all know that close only counts with horseshoes hand grenades and poop fights...not ship models! Surprisingly, it had enough power but was pretty sloppy. You wouldn't envy my wife's reaction when I told her how much it was after shipping, duty and converting US dollars to Canadian. So much for NAFTA and free trade! I don't regret a thing though!

Edited by Ron Burns
added a stupid cliché :)

I'm happy to see that my Canadian buddy was able to find the cash for a Jim Byrnes saw.  You are just starting to find out what a great purchase it is.  I hope you enjoy this tool, and that it makes sawing tasks easier and more precise.  Now, take your ship model building to another level.   Eventually your wife will calm down, but you have to know the next big purchase will be for her.  🙄

Edited by wyz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just another post to say we're still afloat :) The new saw made things so much easier. This time around I didn't have to look so closely at plank thickness and just grabbed one and kept going. I must say that when I first saw Chuck's Winchelsea, my mind's eye said 'Hell yeah,I can do that! Well, one is never too old to A: be humbled and B: learn a whack of new tricks. Thank the Lord and you guys for all of your build logs because without them, I would have been screwed! Now it's time to flip her over and get going on the rest of the hull. I hope I don't regret not placing the first two strakes and drop plank prior to adding the second layer of the wales. I was out of 1/4 inch stock when I had done it as I wanted to keep going. Crossing my fingers! Please forgive my terrible photography skills!

DSCN1004.JPG

DSCN1018.JPG

DSCN1007.JPG

DSCN1014.JPG

DSCN1015.JPG

Very nice planking Ron!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! First thing, Thank you for the encouragement and likes. It feels good :)

Minor little update. First 2 strakes below the wales are in. Chuck, your pre-made drop planks stole the show! They actually went in with very little refinement needed at all. Planking up to the counter brought out my Temporary Acquired Tourettes in a big way. My wife was making 'wash my mouth out with soap' cracks for a little while there but all ended up working out (even though I borrowed from Carlin's 7 dirty words). I imagine the tight bends will be less obnoxious as they are getting larger. Please excuse the photos. I'm stuck with the cell camera today. 

Next stop, tick strips!

20210516_124122.jpg

20210516_124232.jpg

20210516_124246.jpg

Edited by Ron Burns
Dumb *ss me called the drop plank a stealer. I swear the older I get.....

28 minutes ago, Ron Burns said:

Hi everyone! First thing, Thank you for the encouragement and likes. It feels good :)

Minor little update. First 2 strakes below the wales are in. Chuck, your pre-made stealers stole the show! They actually went in with very little refinement needed at all. Planking up to the counter brought out my Temporary Acquired Tourettes in a big way. My wife was making 'wash my mouth out with soap' cracks for a little while there but all ended up working out (even though I borrowed from Carlin's 7 dirty words). I imagine the tight bends will be less obnoxious as they are getting larger. Please excuse the photos. I'm stuck with the cell camera today. 

Next stop, tick strips!

20210516_124122.jpg

20210516_124232.jpg

20210516_124246.jpg

its wonderful Ron.thisis Chucks level to me. photography included. soon hull will be ready.hay ho:) 

Really is looking good.  It should get easier now at the stern.  Just those first two are a bit tough.

Excellent work Ron and I know exactly what you mean about those stern bends😶😬

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Silly questions plaguing this fragile mind.....

I've finished the first 2 strakes below the wales and am going forth to plank off the rest of the hull. The tick strips seem pretty self explanatory except for the strip that sits along the lower counter.  The first and second strake are 1/4inch wide pretty much the whole length right to the counter. The 3rd strake *appears* to me (if I have it right) to terminate at approx. 4mm width with a gentle taper from around mid ship  . The 4th strake  again gently tapers from 1/4" mid ship to 5mm at bulkhead 27. This then appears to widen up again to 5.5mm at the counter. Is this correct? Perhaps I'm messing up the counter tick strip position?

Sorry about the convoluted problem description. I just need to know if i'm barking up the right tree.... 

Edited by Ron Burns

Hi Ron.  Yes, they taper in at 27 and then flair out at the counter.  It’s even more dramatic at the stern post.  I think you can see that in pictures in some of the build logs.  Mine is surely not the best example, but here’s a quick shot of mine so you can see what we’re talking about.

image.jpg

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

but here’s a quick shot of mine so you can see what we’re talking about

Matt, thank you many times over! Your Winnie looks awesome! That pic really helps get me on track again, especially with your confirmation of the tapering. A person can't beat a build-group when it comes to getting and giving support.

11 hours ago, Ron Burns said:

A person can't beat a build-group when it comes to getting and giving support.

I agree wholeheartedly, Ron.  When this group started, I knew it was above my ability and experience.  But I really wanted to be a part of this group.  It has been so much fun to build and share the experience here.  

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41