Byrnes machinery dust collection

There are reducers for the hoses.

I saved a lot of time and bother dealing with clogged shopvac filters by using an in-line cyclone trap.  The thickness sander generates impressive volumes of dust.  I use it and the tablesaw in the garage.

The work done on the disk sander is more finesse than volume so I use small portable hand vac  (stairs, corners, furniture, type) - a visible chamber for collection rather than a bag.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I had to use two different couplers, one inserted into the other, and include one in the tool and one in the shop vac (Fein in my case, which was in metric).

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I only have the table saw and it’s hooked up to a Fein vac. Works great...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I have a very quiet Fein shop vac that I connect to my Byrnes tools.  The OD of the Fein hose is 1 3/8" + a few thousandths - metric for sure.  The thickness sander with it's port on top I just set the vac hose into it w/o worry about the gap and let gravity hold it in place - works fine.  With the disc sander I use a rubber adapter that goes over the vac hose and slips into the sander's horizontal port pretty tight - the same with the saw that has the exhaust port as it came from Jim.  The other saw I got long before Jim provided an exhaust port - I had a club member who had a machine shop cut a hole in the side piece where Jim attaches the exhaust port that the vac hose fits into.   I had a cyclone hooked between the vac and the hose but it was big and it lives in the wood shop now.  Will get a smaller cyclone soon for the model shop.

100% of the dust is grabbed from the disc and thickness sanders.  Nothing catches the saw dust that comes off the top end of the saw blade (of any table saw as far as I know) - but it's minor compared to what comes off the bottom end and is caught up by the vac.  Just like full size saws there is a lot of sawdust that has to be vacuumed out of the saw between uses from the corners.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

29 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

very quiet Fein shop vac

Are all from fein shop vacs quiet or is there a specific model? I’d love to set up a “quiet” dust collection system

Fein has changed the design of their shop-vacs since I got mine.  It's a "Turbo II; a large one.  I'm sure the new version is at least as quiet.  No muffs required - you can have a conversation with someone while its running.  HEPA filter, a primary filter and a filter bag; the exhaust air is cleaner than the room's air.

I can listen to the TV or stereo in the shop with the vac operating - not silent but quiet enough.

Some are more quiet than others - check the specs on their web site.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I have a 'Henry' vac set up as a dust collector. The noise factor was originally bothersome but that changed when I finally got around to making a proper spot for it under a bench. It was absurdely simple: I sat it on a piece of styrene foam and it became quiet! Presumably the hard plastic wheels resting on the wooden shelf had been the source of the racket. Now it stays running for long periods and I can listen to the radio.

BTW, I made an impromptu hose adapter by cutting the bottom off of an empty plastic pill bottle. The bottle's lid-end fits the sander and the Proxxon saw, the other fat end fits the Henry hose.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

If you're just needing something and don't mind moving it around, go to the local home improvement shop and get a shop vac.  Noisy but they work.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I use my shop vac hooked up to an adapter that you can purchase at Lowes and Home Depot.  I trimmed the short edge flush with the flange.

1689531382_ShopVacUniversalAdapter.jpg.371064974fc5bb0277bcdb0aded27d31.jpg

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Ryland - that looks like one of the hose adapters on the Aero Bed pump - I never thought about those - must have thrown out 4 or 5 of those from pumps in the past (I used an Aero Bed mattress when I was renting a mobile home down east for 18 years - the mattresses don't last very long under continual usage). Good idea!

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

On 6/22/2020 at 9:52 AM, Hank said:

That looks like one of the hose adapters on the Aero Bed pump - I never thought about those - must have thrown out 4 or 5 of those from pumps in the past (I used an Aero Bed mattress when I was renting a mobile home down east for 18 years - the mattresses don't last very long under continual usage). Good idea!

I found the adapter in the shop vac accessories department at Lowes.  Home Depot also carries it.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I may actually have something along those lines in my misc. box of "stuff" - I'll check that out and see if it can be adapted.

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

I'm in the market for a new shop vac to replace the old Sears Craftsman vac I've had for years. I hope to get some Byrnes machines in the near future and I don't have any large woodworking machines. 

It seems like many of you are happy with the Fein vac. Is there a Fein model you would recommend? I see that they make several models but I'm not sure which model would be most appropriate for my current purposes.

Is the hose on the Fein vac very flexible? I have always disliked the stiff hose on my Craftsman because it makes it hard to maneuver and manage.

Are there any accessories to the Fein that would would recommend also?

Thanks very much.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

12 minutes ago, BobG said:

I'm in the market for a new shop vac to replace the old Sears Craftsman vac I've had for years. I hope to get some Byrnes machines in the near future and I don't have any large woodworking machines. 

It seems like many of you are happy with the Fein vac. Is there a Fein model you would recommend? I see that they make several models but I'm not sure which model would be most appropriate for my current purposes.

Is the hose on the Fein vac very flexible? I have always disliked the stiff hose on my Craftsman because it makes it hard to maneuver and manage.

Are there any accessories to the Fein that would would recommend also?

Thanks very much.

I have used a Festool vac at a Woodcraft location, I truly want one! They are quiet and very efficient! And the hose is so very flexible. Here is a link to them.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/dust-extractor-ct-15-e-hepa-festool?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C576455d369702d2f2f0013a2%2C5764562a69702d2f2f0013a6

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

The Fein hose is very flexible. 

I want to add a small cyclone pre-filter to mine.  It resides under a bench with drawers so I need a smaller unit - like would fit on a 5 gal pail.

Everything else I have needed comes with the unit.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

It's a Turbo I   It's now several years old and I think the Turbo II is quieter.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I have a Fein Turbo III (purchased 2008) combined with an Onieda Dust Deputy cyclone.  As you can see I built a movable cart with the vacuum on the bottom and the Deputy topside.  After a while I saw that I could gain more space for storing more "stuff" if I raised the Deputy up another level.  I made it more useful to me by being able to store the big table saw sliding table as well as some extra clamp storage. 

In my mind the cyclone is a must.  Over the past 12 years I have used two filter bags in the Fein, everything goes in the cyclone.  All my tablesaw, router, jointer, drum sander exhaust go thru the Deputy.  Anyways I think the cart with the vaccum and cyclone on top is an efficient combo.

20200630_205507.thumb.jpg.ba38bae52db99379b55966891a9a5e4b.jpg20200630_205546.thumb.jpg.2fa17b6df5247f34e604451b831dd947.jpg20200630_205728.thumb.jpg.44e56e41ff202e4f5231e2f9ece92f4d.jpg