US Constellation 1798 by Jack12477 - Artesania Latina - 1:85

For my next ship build I decided to finally drag the Artesania Latina US Constellation kit out of my stash and start building it. It was given to me by a good friend as a birthday present 9 years ago and has languished on the shelf since then; partly because it was intimidating, but mostly because I did not have the work space big enough to set it up and build it and lastly I did not know where I would display it once built - still don't but that will be dealt with later on.

Even the box it comes in is huge and intimidating. 

I first constructed a build board that will hold it. Unfortunately I routed a groove along the centerline of the board to hold the keel but when the keel sits down in the groove the bulkheads don't seat fully, so I set it flush on the board and screen small cleats alongside the keel to keep it upright and straight.   Some startup photos are below:  So far I have dry fit all the bulkheads, sanded them as needed and am now slowly gluing them in place use small pieces of aluminum angle to keep everything perpendicular to the false keel.

IMG_8435.JPG.e5e0e75eacc6ece1ea1df4010f74cbe3.JPGIMG_8436.JPG.f3aedf40c923cecaf276f9ac795d3fe2.JPGIMG_8437.JPG.468f04ef3054738123fe5878953c4bf9.JPGIMG_8438.JPG.95a4aca49e91e32f4b07c27f540b5192.JPGIMG_8439.JPG.f1a13e9ede8b887698dded51782d1db2.JPG

IMG_8434.JPG.fcc6a736f512ff47263ccd454951f145.JPG

At this point everything is just dry fit

IMG_8433.JPG.810084bdd188725a428caa1173615c3e.JPG

Edited by Jack12477

Found you!!😉 promising start Jack, that hull must be about 2ft long!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

Looks like the box says it's 40 3/4 inches, but maybe I'm reading it wrong. It's a big one.

WOW!! That's huge, that must include the bowsprit and the boom. No wonder Jack has got to rearrange to display it.

Did you have a good trip Craig?

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

I'm here Jack...  I'll have you know that I seldom come in from shore leave, so If I start bumping into things or asking dumb questions it's cause I'm seldom at work in the shipyard......

I"ll try not to make a fool of myself.. I promise.... {chuckle}

Sorry for derailing the other. (it wasn't intentional)

EG

Where's the popcorn....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

that hull must be about 2ft long!

You have a pretty good eye. It is 25 1/2 inches  as it sits on build board. Build board is 3 ft long

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Looks like the box says it's 40 3/4 inches,

Correct! Finished size. It is just over 6 inches wide before planking.

32 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Sorry for derailing the other. (it wasn't intentional)

No problem! Just didn't want that discussion to get lost over there. It is worth knowing.  I did visit this ship in Baltimore a few years ago with the Admiral and our youngest granddaughter who had to explore every inch right down to keel.  It is a really beautiful ship regardless of the history of its rebuild/restoration.   

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

WOW!! That's huge, that must include the bowsprit and the boom. No wonder Jack has got to rearrange to display it.

Did you have a good trip Craig?

It was super. Weather was beautiful, warm days and cool nights. We got our youngest daughter all settled into her new living arrangement with her oldest sister then we came back home this past weekend. Feels strange with just the two of us at home now.

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

Yep ! Now you know why it sat on shelf for 9 years ;)

Finished dimensions are 

Length  40 3/4 inches  or 1035 mm

Width  6 1/32 inches  or 153 mm

Height   27 15/16  or 710 mm

The odd values are because the original measurements are given in metric

2 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Finished dimensions are 

Length  40 3/4 inches  or 1035 mm

Width  6 1/32 inches  or 153 mm

Height   27 15/16  or 710 mm

The odd values are because the original measurements are given in metric

7 inches shy of 4ft, I think you need to find her a room of her own!😏 I thought Winchelsea was big at 38 inches and she's not going to be rigged. 

Current builds;

Completed:

5 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

, I think you need to find her a room of her own

Or I could build a backyard pond, waterproof the hull, and float her out there. But then winter ice would be a problem. :( 

2 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Or I could build a backyard pond, waterproof the hull, and float her out there. But then winter ice would be a problem. :( 

A room of her own with a pond! Won't  freeze over in winter🤪

Current builds;

Completed:

16 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

A room of her own with a pond! Won't  freeze over in winter🤪

Putting bubblers around her would be cheaper.  That's how they protect the Clearwater sloop here. And the Coast Guard boats.

Of course maybe I could sail my scale model ice yacht Rocket on the pond with the Connie in background :D

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Of course maybe I could sail my scale model ice yacht Rocket on the pond with the Connie in background :D

The Connie can handle it...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I bet they had bubblers in the water around the for protection.  For those who don't know what an ice bubbler is or looks like see photo below. This is one type, basically it churns the water up to such a degree that ice cannot form. 

power-house-p500-ice-eater-for-individual-boats-slips-eaters-garage-department_731_1024x1024.jpg.9c6a53d8425cd7fe2842941e34c63d9a.jpg 

Okay, back to the build. I finished gluing all the bulkheads in place makin sure they are perpendicular to the false keel. Right now I am dry fitting the decks to see how they fit. I notice that 3 will need some type of blocks at the outer ends to keep them from sagging and rocking since the only support is the false keel in the middle of the deck. Photos will follow later once I finish testing. 

My bad for discussing this on your other log.  I promise to try and play nice.  :)   I have popcorn!  Does that forgive my sins?  :rolleyes:

As for putting it in water, Jerry Todd has a scratch built one in the "extremely dark side" area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

28 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

My bad for discussing this on your other log. 

That's okay. Can you as a MOD move those last few posts over here. Would add to the discussion. 

29 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Jerry Todd has a scratch built one in the "extremely dark side" area

I think I recall seeing that one way back 

Well looks like the whole gang is here plus a few new viewers, just missing OC and "Spinach man" I guess. 

@toms10  good to see you again. I will be using your logs as reference. Yours also Mark. 

11 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

just missing OC and "Spinach man" I guess. 

They are probably stuck in traffic or the sat nav is playing up.😏

Current builds;

Completed:

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:. 

@toms10  good to see you again. I will be using your logs as reference. 

I hope they are of some use to you 
Tom

10 minutes ago, toms10 said:

I hope they are of some use to you 
Tom

I have two bundles of very thin veneer - one is a yellow/white which I think is ramin  other is a reddish brown is this mukali ? It  seems to be the only one that matches the dimensions in the parts list 0.6 mm x 5 mm x yyy  mm

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

That's okay. Can you as a MOD move those last few posts over here. Would add to the discussion. 

Sadly, I can't.  Just no way to move a post by itself.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jack,

I'm putting this here in your build, as well as Treesqueak's for benefit of anyone else building this model.  I know we've talked about but I really hate to a couple hundred dollars worth of kit get tossed....

I do suggest that you read well ahead in the instructions.   The reason is that after they tell you to glue the main deck down, they then tell you assemble and install the guns which is impossible.  We've had way too many abandoned builds happen when they realize that they can't install the guns.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I do suggest that you read well ahead in the instructions.   The reason is that after they tell you to glue the main deck down, they then tell you assemble and install the guns which is impossible.

You don't use them anyway, so why bother :P

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

10 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Well looks like the whole gang is here plus a few new viewers, just missing OC and "Spinach man" I guess. 

Well I know you were hoping that I would be MIA but I found you anyway. Looks like you are well on your way Jack. Just think of me as your Albatross. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

32 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Well I know you were hoping that I would be MIA but I found you anyway. Looks like you are well on your way Jack. Just think of me as your Albatross. 

I thought you were in the rigging on the mainyard😉

Current builds;

Completed: