US Constellation 1798 by Jack12477 - Artesania Latina - 1:85

Hi "Albatros" ! Oh yea, you were MIA ! Sorry I missed mentioning you.  Have fun in the rigging, be careful of those bos'un chairs, don't fall out.  

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Jack,

I'm putting this here in your build, as well as Treesqueak's for benefit of anyone else building this model.  I know we've talked about but I really hate to a couple hundred dollars worth of kit get tossed....

I do suggest that you read well ahead in the instructions.   The reason is that after they tell you to glue the main deck down, they then tell you assemble and install the guns which is impossible.  We've had way too many abandoned builds happen when they realize that they can't install the guns.

Yea, I've been watching for that step, for now I am dry fitting the decks till I can read ahead a bit. Trying to read the parts list, font is really small and hard to read, seems blurred. 

BTW  Tower Hobbies now lists the kit for $385 USD. Quite an increase. 

20 hours ago, cog said:

You don't use them anyway, so why bother :P

True... though actually I do use them.. as trashcan liner.  :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I thought you were in the rigging on the mainyard😉

'So that's where Lou went?   I was looking for him down by the spirits locker.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Small progress update:  After gluing and squaring all the bulkheads to the false keel. I started on the lower decks.  Totally misread the instructions on the Mukali wood and started using the darker "walnut" veneer instead, after doing the two most aft decks I caught the mistake and switched to the pale yellowish Mukali wood.  Which they had printed photos in this kit like they've done in some of their other kits I've built.  After installing some cleats to support the outer most edges of the decks so they don't become a "teeter-totter", I installed the lowest decks first. Tried applying some stain directly to the wood but it looked to dark even tho I wiped it off immediately. So for the other decks I put some Wipe-On Poly on a cloth and went over the planks with that first then applied the stain over that, wiping off the stain almost immediately. Finish came out looking a bit weathered to my eye.  After this I glued all the lowest decks in place, added the reinforcing blocks for the masts, but left the middle deck just dry fit for now, until I double check all drawing for anything that needs to be added to the lowest decks before I paint myself into a corner - so to speak.

Photos follow

Dry fitting all decks first

IMG_8441.JPG.696d3e4c566b9ae3d97b8ebd1d590e56.JPGIMG_8443.JPG.baa827ecc7b7beeaa607fabdaa28498a.JPGIMG_8444.JPG.af9cd0c94bfb885698db236caa846b68.JPGIMG_8445.JPG.d9834cc673820ba6267f62019ce04290.JPGIMG_8446.JPG.546847dce3901a96be1ae90f67657844.JPGIMG_8447.JPG.7f8122a443c005cd505823f0af3717d9.JPGIMG_8448.JPG.509a7b49e72099bea0d6eb67abcc921d.JPG

Then adding the planking, staining  and gluing in place

IMG_8449.JPG.e8b242fdca5e91e74270a14a40b3fc09.JPGIMG_8453.JPG.64c1997a2bdf8a1d4a1a0036cdf033af.JPGIMG_8457.JPG.ae729f42b41360ccb4031220bd70277e.JPG

Reinforcing blocks for masts

IMG_8455.JPG.32d83d6143aefb60b6e59c2009947bd3.JPGIMG_8456.JPG.1fe4dc1ca74f857c004163ccbabe8ce8.JPG

Nice work, movin right along.... {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 6/24/2020 at 3:48 AM, Jack12477 said:

Have fun in the rigging, be careful of those bos'un chairs, don't fall out. 

How can I be in the rigging???? You don't have any yet! Now the grog locker! That could be another matter. Is there a shore facility close where I can sit in the window and watch while tipping a few? B)

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Is there a shore facility close where I can sit in the window and watch while tipping a few? B)

Is yew one o' them seafaring gennelmen cos if yew is, there's a welcome at the Saucy Shrimp!

Good ale and hot pies.:cheers:

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

7 hours ago, lmagna said:

How can I be in the rigging???? You don't have any yet!

Oh yea ! That's right ! Well, maybe you rigged a left-handed sky hook to anchor the bos'un chair. :D;)  At any rate, welcome to the party. 

You are making good progress on your Constellation.  I will be following your build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

12 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Well, maybe you rigged a left-handed sky hook to anchor the bos'un chair

I was thinking that I might have to do somethings like that but I now have a better offer. I am told that the ale is good and the pies are warm over at the Saucy Shrimp and that it has the same view as the cold shipyard. Winter is coming and this IS a ship you are building not some overnight armored beast! :)

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

33 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Winter is coming and this IS a ship you are building not some overnight armored beast! 

But at the rate he's building, he will be done before we are served, then where will be be?

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

14 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Are they serving that saucy shrimp with grits or scallops ? 

Both if you really want them...

Quote:

24 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Both if you really want them...

I'll pass on the grits. 😝   I'll have them with scallops, pan seared in butter, garlic and a bit of wine. 😁

Progress has been slow for many reasons. One of which is the very poor English translation in the instruction manual and difficulty reading and interpreting the picture book instructions.  As advised by a couple of modelers who've built this kit before me I have not glued the main decks or catwalks down - for now I drilled small holes and set some nails in to clamp them down until I figure out where the cannon go and get them installed, then I will come back and glue the decks and catwalks in place permanently. Some photos

IMG_8459.JPG.3753a2eb914ff164f206c401fb625af9.JPGIMG_8460.JPG.7425c47531669befa3c7aab25203ddb4.JPGIMG_8461.JPG.6b9ce4442a7aeab8d71a54d625cd8ba4.JPGIMG_8462.JPG.deaf30d3d0ad75b7a4e73b742dcb30de.JPGIMG_8463.JPG.f4976d0c6c513af2195e4606d2147bba.JPG

The other reason the shipyard slowed down is because we had to euthanize our 14 year old Corgi last Monday June 29th due to rapidly deteriorating health issues. She has been with us since she was a 6 month old puppy. Her other photo is my avatar photo.

Sunny.thumb.jpg.2d618d62f5347c9ea3ac519868727632.jpg

The model is coming along beautifully, Jack. My 2nd wood ship build was an Aeropiccola HMS Swift and the language/plans gave me fits. Otherwise, it was a beautiful model.

So sorry to hear about your Corgi. My little buddy is also 14, and I can see him moving a little more slowly each day. So far, his health has been good but I know that can change at any time due to his age. 

Good to see you back again Jack. So sorry to learn why you were gone. I too have been there, more than once unfortunately. They do become a major part of our life over the years and their passing is painful.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I'd say go ahead and put the fore and aft decks on after you get the blocks in for mounting those guns.    Hang off a bit on the walkways until you'put one gun together and decide how much detailing you'll do on them.

Breaks my heart to hear about the pupper, Jack.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Constellation moving along well!

Sorry to hear about your helper Jack, it is hard.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your Corgi.  Pets become part of your family and their passing leaves a void in your life.  I know it is hard, but glad you are back in your workshop making sawdust.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Sorry to read about Sunny's demise. Pups become a part of our family and the loss of one hurts. The shipyard should get your mind off this, Jack.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with this one brother, my condolences on losing your life friend/helper buddy....

Quote:

Thanks Lou, Mark, Edward, Ryland, Ken, EG, for your condolences. 

Now that we have been granted a parole (maybe only temporary) from the Covid Prison, I decided to get back outside and join two of my fellow ice boaters at our friend and fellow ice boater, Jim's,  workshop and continue the restoration work on the Manhassett ice yacht.  We were almost ready for varnishing when the lock down occurred so this past Saturday three of us met at Jim's workshop to assess where we were and what needed to be done going forward. We did get a single coat of varnish on the backbone (seen in photo below - sorry for the blurriness, camera didn't focus right).  In the meantime work on the Constellation is suspended for a bit while I get a change of scenery other than my basement workshop.  It would be nice if we can complete the restoration in time to launch the Manhassett on the ice this winter (assuming global climate change allows us to get some ice on the river this year - last time was 2014).

IMG_8476.JPG.799a0a675c6b8ae5457777ab513c79f7.JPG

Hi-- I was glad to see this log, but sorry to hear about your pup. That's never easy.

We live about 45 minutes from Baltimore in Frederick MD so I'm planning on visiting the real thing once the COVID thing is over, or at least a lot more under control. You can't currently visit the ship, but they have a virtual tour which I just discovered;

https://historicships.org/virtual-tours

We moved here from the NY Capital District 4 years ago, and the area's nautical history spurred me to ship building. Next on my workbench is the Pride Of Baltimore II

3 hours ago, Brewerpaul said:

We live about 45 minutes from Baltimore in Frederick MD

Hi and welcome to the log. Thanks for the condolences. 

I know your area well,  My grandfather lived in Towson, had an uncle in Catonsville and now a daughter in Pasadena.  Got to tour the ship several years ago and took numerous photos. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know that I have not given up on this kit.

I decided to take a break from model building and finish restoring the Manhassett ice yacht that we have been sporadically working on the past 2 years. 

This past Saturday we got a 3rd coat of marine varnish on the backbone, runner plank and main mast. Next weekend we will flip the backbone and coat the underside, the boom, gaff and jib club foot and reinstall all the hardware. We hope by the end of August we can be finished with the restoration and move the boat out of our host's workshop.  Some photos follow

Backbone (aka keel) with basket

IMG_8519.JPG.263ad11fb3dc5d1e136c2d37c8a0c141.JPG.jpg.870a666f3351d556136a4eb44eb2e9ad.jpgIMG_8520.JPG.d0619964590b51b313b664780d704d15.JPG.jpg.a6f427e06c25768714bb301a6657cbdf.jpgIMG_8521.JPG.5b1830471a3a2ef8551027d3c38ce353.JPG.jpg.5c195f30ac3afe77c1ca0ad65f74047c.jpg 

Runner plank and main mast 

IMG_8517.JPG.6e9556c53609506fa280765d978b4753.JPG.jpg.3e2a53db362aa8807633dd3b2061b506.jpg

At least this gets me outside in the fresh air for awhile instead of cooped up inside in my basement. I will get back to the model soon. 

10 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

I decided to take a break from model building and finish restoring the Manhassett ice yacht that we have been sporadically working on the past 2 years. 

I see you're from Woodstock. Where do you plan on sailing your ice yacht? I lived for many years in the NY Capital District, and I'm familiar with the Hudson. I don't recall it freezing as far south as Woodstock for many years.