US Constellation 1798 by Jack12477 - Artesania Latina - 1:85

Well a milestone has been reached. Plank #14 has been installed port and starboard per instructions. Now we reverse course and start planking from the keel upward to mid-line. until the two plankings meet.

IMG_8686.JPG.58e39629279027b0d8e48a86ea0089d6.JPGIMG_8685.JPG.1fbdd11bc02775c93c5da719b15e08cf.JPG

I think unique to this kit !  I think it is the half way point. Have to read ahead more to be sure. The instruction just say start at deck and install 14 planks downward towards keel then reverse direction. So far only the stern has given me a hard time bending planks to fit the curve, bow has been an easier curve. This hull is big.   

Looking good Jack, the stern appears to have turned out well. Nice work!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looks like you are getting the hang of planking that round stern Jack. Won't be long before you have a for real looking hull. Of course you could just cut off the remaining hull and call it a "waterline" model!:ph34r: Great progress.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Before continuing on I decided to smooth out the joints where the planks abut one another. Dragging out my Veritas low angle Jack Plank, a few passes over the hull made short work of the rough edges and gave me a nice smooth hull.

IMG_8688.JPG.30f5e3239be86ed71c35146799f0414e.JPGIMG_8691.JPG.13caaa57d81bd4b598223da4e872867a.JPGIMG_8689.JPG.b9e353e451246b03695c2bd157d725dd.JPGIMG_8690.JPG.45c66e43d89bd7480e0cd15b23152209.JPG

Oh did I forget to mention, the plane is a miniature version of their large Jack Plane and it is an actual working plane. ;):D

• 2 weeks later...

Finished planking the one side and started planking the other side now.

IMG_8692.JPG.1e9dc6599c9a1dedb6094139a8403d88.JPGIMG_8693.JPG.d9042364b99b2870695db3fbd0d32137.JPG

Looks like someone has been making late night raids on Mark's Popcorn Machine !  Lou, are you raiding the popcorn stash again ? :D;)

IMG_8694.JPG.ab29daef280a6fc39c1525e9d7e816f7.JPGIMG_8695.JPG.58ca176834eb8c0f0e3787aa6427e244.JPGIMG_8696.JPG.0e346b3c94de835874af01c4ab78f3f2.JPG

Nice work Jack!

It looks suspiciously like it's from above, hmmm popcorn, Lou in the rafters,  just sayin':P

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

5 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Nice work Jack!

It looks suspiciously like it's from above, hmmm popcorn, Lou in the rafters,  just sayin':P

Yes, Lou does like to lay in his hammock with his munchies. Must have spilled a few kernals. 😀 

Well I finished planking the other side of the hull. Now the first planking is done. 

IMG_8702.JPG.9137931613039f61dae89516a3535c85.JPGIMG_8700.JPG.61ee9a8039cc024c888c6135b03887e9.JPGIMG_8701.JPG.2d86694dfcd04977426d08e6ea9cb940.JPGIMG_8699.JPG.271b222653c435c1fdd5c9d954790446.JPG

I guess it came out okay. Not too many errors visible.  Planking is not my strong suit.

Nice completion, look forward to the second planking.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

On 11/26/2020 at 5:57 PM, Jack12477 said:

Lou, are you raiding the popcorn stash again ?

While it is true that I like my munchies while spread out in the rafters on my hammock. There is no way that I would let that much popcorn go to waste by letting it dribble down onto the shipyard. I think it is more likely that someone from the back row is tossing them at you trying to get your attention. Besides, like I said, I am a Peanut Brittle fan. (But I tend to make a fairly good dent in salted peanuts when I get them as well. Everyone knows you can't eat just one!):)

Nice job on the planking  Jack. You say you are going to do a second planking! If so you are only half done and get to experience the pleasure all over again. :) Joy joy, chips ahoy! 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

20 minutes ago, lmagna said:

am a Peanut Brittle fan

Me too ! Ditto the salted peanuts, especially the Redskin Spanish peanuts ( great over chocolate syrup or hot fudge over vanilla ice cream).  

The 2nd planking is a 0.5 mm thick walnut veneer, typical of AL kits.  No hear bending needed. 

Edited by Jack12477

I'm with you two on the peanut brittle 😋 and I'm quite partial to honey roasted peanuts.

Are you sticking with the walnut planking or using a substitute?

Nice job on that planking, it's always pleasing to get that done. 

Current builds;

Completed:

Me too on the honey roasted peanuts, also salted cashews.

Try a Mexican Sundae,  2 or more scoops of vanilla ice cream, pour either Hersey's chocolate syrup or Hot Fudge syrup over ice cream, sprinkle generous amount of Planters Redskin Spanish peanuts over the combination, and enjoy.  In some areas it is called a Tin Roof Sundae, origin of name(s) and dish is steeped in mystery. Where I grew up in Western New York, it was always called a Mexican Sundae and was always made with Redskin Spanish peanuts.  Other variations exist.  

4 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Are you sticking with the walnut planking or using a substitute?

Yes. The kit supplies a generous amount of 0.5 mm x 5 mm strips of walnut and a cream colored wood veneer for a "white/cream" band at the wales. 

If you keep putting recipes like that out, you will have more than a few popcorn laying about in the dockyard! Off to the kitchen to look for the chocolate syrup. Sounds like late night snack time to me.:36:

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

@Edwardkenway  just curious, but is this brand of peanuts available in UK ?

20201130_070635.thumb.jpg.0b4ce892ebe484a2cb4f56cd61966a52.jpg

We have Planters but not those particular nuts

image.png.81daf13aed04752bb985d68c0ac5a20e.png

Also dry roasted and honey roasted but no Redskin Spanish peanuts 

Current builds;

Completed:

I've  searched and found redskin peanuts but not Spanish ones but they are red, quite pricey though, at lowest £5 per KG going up to £15 per KG

Current builds;

Completed:

The red on ours is a skin that peels off but is eatable...  the nut is round but looks just like peanuts in color

I just restocked at grocery store tonight $2.99 USD for 354 gram, 12.5 oz,  can.   Yours seem very pricey. Wonder if they are same nut.  Anyway you could substitute regular peanuts for your sundae 😉

hey...hey....spinach man bang'in on the door  :)    busy....busy.....now I see where you went  ;)   so much to cover here.......read the log through....man!...so sad to hear of your little friend :(    we lost our first American Eskimo to that ...thing.  Happy was almost 12....I still think about him.

yea.......you need to do another Ice boat........it's in your blood! :ph34r:  great pictures!    glad to see your gett'in 'round better.....the hull looks super.  and here you are show'in the spent parts panels.........driv'in me crazy.   intact like that,  I'd 've had two hulls......it's been my style lately.   so........OK........you're do'in alright........don't need an enima or anything........gotta lay off the peanuts....polyps.....dontcha know :blush:.......{I know I sound crazy.....'cuz I am}  {I don't get out much these days :wacko:}.....      gotta get me a plane like that!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Spinach Man, welcome to the party.  Don't sound crazy to me. I don't get out much either these days, been bouncing off walls. Can't wait for snow and ice to arrive, if it arrives at all this year. I figure a outdoor space with a volume of 40-60 cubic miles and a constant wind of 5 -20 mph should be sufficient to dilute the plague. 😉   

Edited by Jack12477

13 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

gotta get me a plane like that!

Yea, it is a very good miniature plane. I have their entire collection. I just saw in their Christmas catalog that they introduced a Miniature bench vise to their collection. Very very tempted to add on to mine, should be pretty easy to adapt to miniature boat building. 

05P8601-veritas-miniature-bench-vise-d-0054.jpg.b4b90d35e9da1c09813108bfa38730e1.jpg05P8601-veritas-miniature-bench-vise-u-0016.jpg.c489194f15574e48cbee0ff3df7b8602.jpg 

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year, all ! 

Got really bored with the build, so I decided to take a break and do some plastic models for a change of pace.  Of course the Covid isolationism is not helping the boredom either.  Been taking a lot of walks through the neighborhood with the Admiral, but that only goes so far.  Will get back to this in a bit.   Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

On 12/1/2020 at 7:48 PM, popeye the sailor said:

gotta get me a plane like that!

Denis,  @popeye the sailor, check out this Lee Valley video .  Nice demo on using their miniature tools.. I really like their miniature work bench in the video. The end project is a bit of a surprise 😀😉

Edited by Jack12477

• 3 weeks later...

Small update :  Progress at the speed of a glacier. As you can see from the protruding nails, the two decks are just tacked in place until I can get the guns installed on the lower deck. Next up is installing the bulwark without getting the glued to the decks.

20210124_110752.thumb.jpg.e108b9f5a0fee3a0413faeb6680de1a4.jpg

I was aboard the U.S.S. Constellation in Baltimore harbor in the 70s, and bought a medallion (a fundraiser) as a pass for unlimited future visiting - although I haven't returned since.  I'm told the Navy 'repaired' her in the 1850s, since it was easier to get funding for refurbishment than  to build a new ship - yet what they did was to effectively re-build her as a new ship (staying 'under the radar').  That's why the present incarnation is a lot different than the original ship, and the model likely is likely closer to the original vessel.  Its looking good so far !

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Hate to say it, Johnny, they lied.  I to saw her in the '70's and bought their story.  The original wasn't repaired, the original was broken up.  To deal with funding, they used 4 timbers from the original and built up the new one using a completely different set of plans.   The the 1854 ship only has a bare passing to the original as the stern was changed completely, the length and width were changed.

The model was designed back in the 70's using what sat in Baltimore harbor at the time and as their model for the model.  In that, the model is right... it matched what had been done but not the original.

I fell into that same trap building my Constellation but changed the build to match the 1854 version.  The kit makes an good looking model but is really just the 70's version that sat in the harbor.

If you're looking for more info, here's a PDF from an investigation into this...  https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Portals/103/Documents/NSWC_Carderock/fouled_anchors-1.pdf

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)