US Constellation 1798 by Jack12477 - Artesania Latina - 1:85

Well what I feared would happen, and what I have been trying hard to avoid, happened anyway. After successfully heat bending the starboard bulwark pieces (3) to fit, I started bending the port side pieces, except as I was bending the stern piece around the mold I had made the piece snapped about 2 inches from the end. Piece is laser cut from a 5/64 inch thick piece of 2 ply, maybe 3 ply, plywood. 

Spent the afternoon visiting 5 local stores trying to find a replacement with no luck. 😒 Of course!  There is a pandemic ! No one is restocking shelves ! 🙄.

So now it's road trip time to a neighboring city to see if I can find a brick and mortar hobby store that has some in stock before I resort to mail order which could take 6 months for the "Express Rider" to deliver it to me. 🤨 🙁

Edited by Jack12477

7 hours ago, marktiedens said:

Try a Michaels craft store

That was the first store we went to.  Nothing !  Then Home Depot, Lowes, "Wally World", et al. 

Try some of the woodworker stores. We have a Woodcraft and a Klingspor shop near me. They may have 12" x 12" squares of the ply you're looking for.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

'I see,' said the blind man.  Then he picked up his hammer and saw.  'Guess that research into whatever ship one is interested in is 'key' ... and there is so much that can be found on-line with patient gleaning (and a critical eye).  I've learned more about the Wasa and the Thermopylae in the past month than I knew from all my years before - and the expertise on this forum (and the build logs) are invaluable.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

1 hour ago, Canute said:

We have a Woodcraft

Nearest one to me is Springfield Mass 2+ hour drive one way, Norwalk CT ( same travel time) or Wilmington DE about 4 hours drive.  Great stores but none close by, catalog is only option for them.

Is there any chance you could just give up in the plywood bulwarks and scratch new ones using planks instead?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Is there any chance you could just give up in the plywood bulwarks and scratch new ones using planks instead?

I was thinking same thing. Except the hull planks are a bit thicker than the ply. And not sure if I will have enough extra to do it. Gotta think about it some more.  Once this snow storm blows past us  I will make a trip down river to only brick and mortar hobby shop in valley, if he doesn't have any ply in stock then Plan K may be a solution. (Pun intended 😉)

The strip is about 2.5 in by 13 in.  The actual thickness is 1.75 mm or 9/128 inches. 5/64 is closest approximation.  Hold off on doing anything, I should be able to get to local hobby store in Poughkeepsie by end of week. I will get back to you on your offer.  Since this is a Spanish made kit everything is metric, fortunately my Venier caliper converts to either 

Just now, Jack12477 said:

The strip is about 2.5 in by 13 in.  The actual thickness is 1.75 mm or 9/128 inches. 5/64 is closest approximation.  Hold off on doing anything, I should be able to get to local hobby store in Poughkeepsie by end of week. I will get back to you on your offer.  Since this is a Spanish made kit everything is metric, fortunately my Venier caliper converts to either 

If you can't get anything, I'll send some over to you via priority mail. Won't take long at all. Post Office is just minutes from my house.

I hope you can get to a hobby shop.  I have some 3-ply "lite" that I picked up at the hobby shop and it's darn close to what you need so hopefully, you'll find some.  Pity that I'm so far away, but CDW might get it to you faster.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jack, a thickness difference of .05 mm won't be visible, so you have got some leeway in your choices, e.g. 0.30 or  0.25 mm is not distinguishable by eye. I would have offered a strip of ply I've got, but it will take ages to get to you by snailmail from Europe. The pandemic will be over by then ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Have you thought about a bit of AYC from Chuck? I'm sure he's got some sheets of the right thickness or very close, and it does bend well.

Just my two pennies worth 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

5 hours ago, cog said:

Jack, a thickness difference of .05 mm won't be visible

True! And I can also sand down any difference in thickness where it  meets the planking

4 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Have you thought about a bit of AYC from Chuck?

Had not thought of his wood, since I don't do any scratch building, but that is an excellent alternative.  I usually replace all the kit supplied rope and blocks with his as his is far superior in looks and quality.  Thanks for reminding me. 

@CDW @mtaylor  Success!   I picked up some 2" and 3" wide x 24" long pieces of basswood that are close enough in thickness to work, and they can be planed or sanded to match the other pieces. Also picked some sheets of thin plywood.  Basswood is similar to Limewood so it should bend easily. It is also the same wood I use for woodcarving.

@Edwardkenway  I'm still thinking about getting some AYC from Chuck.  Just have to figure out what sizes to get.

Oh! BTW the snow storm was a disappointment,  less than 3 inches accumulation 🤨  

Excellent news on the wood(s), Jack.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

@CDW @mtaylor  Success!   I picked up some 2" and 3" wide x 24" long pieces of basswood that are close enough in thickness to work, and they can be planed or sanded to match the other pieces. Also picked some sheets of thin plywood.  Basswood is similar to Limewood so it should bend easily. It is also the same wood I use for woodcarving.

@Edwardkenway  I'm still thinking about getting some AYC from Chuck.  Just have to figure out what sizes to get.

Oh! BTW the snow storm was a disappointment,  less than 3 inches accumulation 🤨  

I'm glad you've got it sorted Jack, do get some Cedar from Chuck,  as it is lovely wood to work with  and was a reasonable price even adding delivery and VAT.

Of course it will be better value for you as you wont pay import taxes 😉

Seems like a rare thing happened as on Sunday  we got 5-7 inches of snow that almost lasted till Tuesday morning😂

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

41 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Seems like a rare thing happened as on Sunday  we got 5-7 inches of snow that almost lasted till Tuesday morning😂

Growing up in the Lake Effect Snow region south of Lake Ontario  (actually due south 60 miles from Toronto, Canada aka Rochester NY) averaging 100 plus inches per year (record was 161.9  inches in 1959-1960, all time record was Buffalo at 199.4 inches in 1976 - 1977) I kind of miss the snow.  Even the western NY regions are experiencing a much reduced snowfall rate the past couple of decades.  In the 25+ years my daughter has lived in Buffalo, she has gotten two epic Lake Effect snow storms, the first occurred when our granddaughter was about 3, got 7 Feet, yes Feet, in 24 hours;  the 2nd occurred when our granddaughter was in her last year of High School, that dumped 8 feet over a 48 hour period and gave her the first and only snow day school closure over her 12 years in school.

re: AYC - yes I picked up a couple of 2" x 2" x 3" blocks from Chuck some years back at one of the Northeast Shipmodelers Conferences to try out for woodcarving. It is as good or better than the Wisconsin Basswood we normally use for carving.

Edited by Jack12477

Instead of snow we got frigid weather. At 0600 today temperature at my house was 10 F (-12 C)  with windchills ranging from -3 F to -26 F. Supposed to stay with us thru Sunday or Monday. 

Update : Late breaking News ! Reports are coming in of suitable ice forming on several of our local lakes. Some hard water sailing is definitely looking promising.  Some club members took their smaller Arrow class ice boats up to Saratoga Lake for some sailing (missed the memo on that one 😪) The river still has a lot of open water. 

In the meantime, the bending of the newly purchased basswood is proceeding well.  

Edited by Jack12477

Good news on all fronts, Jack.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good news indeed, here's hoping you get some sailing in before spring!😉

Current builds;

Completed:

We're in for several days of sub-zero or near zero Fahrenheit temperatures at night, saying we might reach a daytime temperature of 20 F on Monday.  So conditions are good for thickening any ice already on the lakes, river could take a little longer, but historically we've had good ice on river around Valentines Day (Feb 14th here) or 1st week in March. 🤞

It makes me feel cold just reading this Jack. My blood stops flowing at 35 degrees, :( and I melt at 80. We are supposed to be in the mid to upper 40s with rain for the weekend. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey