Pegasus by hdrinker - 1:48 - POF Swan practicum

I did LEDs in my Constellation build.  It's in a case and the 10 year old case has LED lights which are failing and luckily, I can remove the LED fixtures and replace.  The ones in the ship only get turned on when there;'s company.  LED's do fail and replacement inside a model is almost impossible.  The old grain of wheat bulbs had even a shorter lifespan.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, hdrinker said:

My hope is to hide the lights and wires as much as possible so they won’t be visible once the lights burn out. image.png.394293e31237c8ddb6f2d92f86699e46.png

Take your time and think it through.  I do suggest you do the LEDs before any planking so you have access to the places that need LEDs and wiring.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Greg, the text on page 14 shows a drawing of an “apparent reversal of the sheer curve”. If I take the measurements off the plan, they produce a real reversal when applied to the model. The photo below shows the wake as applied with two lines marking 1) the upper edge as cut which conformed to the plan, and 2) the line that would produce a smooth curve. Which is correct??

AD2C55EB-858F-4A44-9D2C-06DF03433581.thumb.jpeg.00d3c95259665ab1d5cabc2c6f41f707.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful planking! I’m enjoying following your build.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

On 9/19/2022 at 4:55 PM, druxey said:

For drawing, wood, a pair of parallel pliers work better.

What brand and jaw config would you recommend?  

On 10/25/2022 at 6:29 AM, Kevin Kenny said:

Henry i thought you had gotten one. 

I did. The one you recommended. Just following up on Druxy’s advice. In the meantime, I am trying to get Dave at the Lumberyard to tell me if my recent wood orders were quarter sawn and whether he has Juniper.

Henry

Progress on port side interrupted by a frame faring error not appreciated when applying #11. No good options other than replacing that plank. This was a challenge! But with the help of Isopropyl alchocol, a Dremel router bit and small chisels, the plank came out. After cleaning the site with care not to damage adjacent planks, the replacement plank solved the original problem. 

C06CB389-1572-4E2A-B782-D50CBC7B3EBF.jpeg

B7FF1D7A-F470-4086-B4DC-C3D6F47155D4.jpeg

8A59E456-A85F-4B16-8CAE-636C6E115D13.jpeg

Note also the wires for lighting the lower deck laid in a trough cut into the deadwood and tunneled through the keel. Not sure yet what I’ll do with them from here, but will probably run them along the keel and rout them through the aft pedestal and through the mounting board and then out through the base of the case to a switch. Hopefully when completed there will still be an intact circuit.

Do test the LEDs at every step just in case there's a wiring problem.   Been therer, done that, and pounded my head against a wall.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: