HMS Jalouse by thomashd - Caldercraft - 1/64

(Sorry for the mix up, I put it in the wrong category by mistake!)

As the lockdown continues here in the UK, I have been steadily working on my Jalouse. Just finished the Ballahoo a few weeks back. 

Here are some pictures of both. I do hope this log can help future builders of the Jalouse as there seems to be no logs at all on this beautiful ship.

Cheers,

Tom

Here is Ballahoo and the beginning of Jalouse:

B48EC442-F8B5-45E7-B17F-9B45B1CBF394.jpg

534080FD-2790-4283-BDDA-08713558034E.jpg

181B3B8B-9516-4B51-91E2-A00E2F9AD727.jpg

4C453650-304F-4B9B-A8F7-07D23CF3D7DD.jpg

2ECAFAC2-61E7-4CF5-AE79-41BBC9B02E71.jpg

D8B36E56-01D6-4F72-87EF-AD0A321F1C80.jpg

A23848CC-B57E-455F-8A14-BEEED1E3F289.jpg

12535248-811B-4E17-A184-61B705536B06.jpg

2654FC7B-8EF3-4757-9DB4-D58A74A75100.jpg

419C14CB-6298-41C3-92C0-8C838F499627.jpg

A few pictures of the progress made in the last few days. For the first time in my life, I have to admit myself rather disappointed by the quality of wood Caldercraft provided. The stuff for the deck was really poorly cut, with the width of it being anywhere from 2mm to 4mm. The model is still looking nice though! 

3D9F90C6-97ED-428E-931E-AB6199D9B4A5.thumb.jpg.04600e780aabfaa0e428554e9e55eed7.jpg8A6206A5-7AED-44DA-8FCB-297DF9E093FE.thumb.jpg.42825d8ff1cede4367136bd29a71e8cd.jpg5725AD7E-F5F6-4DFC-B529-9D38AEF7EC2C.thumb.jpg.6b34ec0ec002f07f012c59a00d1977d2.jpgB3A56037-0144-4E36-9F8F-CE5DB6BC4109.thumb.jpg.dded170b311c91ddee02ce0d11fe97cb.jpgC894376F-1377-4B20-8623-674538A7677D.thumb.jpg.6d236e080d4dd9748a2287d24a385e9d.jpg

Nice work so far. I'll be interested to watch this develop, since as you said there are no other build logs of her on MSW. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Hi Tom,

I am under the same impression. Jalouse is a beautiful ship and really worth building. The hull of your model looks very good and I am curious on your progressing.

I was also looking for a build log and finally arrived at this friendly forum (signed up only last Friday).

Similar to you, I built the Ballahoo and bought the Jalouse thereafter. I started with the kit last year late in September and I am currently working on the deck fittings. I will probably start a build log shortly, however I began taking pictures only after first and second plankings were completed. I guess it will be very nice and interesting to compare our kits and exchange hints (no competition intended).

Take care!

Uwe

47 minutes ago, thomashd said:

I am really confused as to why no one ever did a log on this ship. Beautiful lines and perfect for a second/third model. 

There are several models in the Caldercraft lineup that don't seem to have caught on as well as others, for whatever reason. Jalouse, Cruizer, Snake, and Mars are all wonderful single-gun-deck subjects, but we hardly see them in the forum. Lots of build logs  for Sherbourne and Victory, their bottom and top end kits, which makes sense. The Amati Fly and Pegasus kits were huge hits and probably stole the thunder from some of the earlier Caldercraft intermediate-level entries. At least that's how it went for me -- I was all onboard with going for Snake as a fourth POB build until Fly became available. Someday I may even finish it!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Lovely looking hull, nice work. 👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

looking good mate!

Remember to clean the copper plates after every session if you have sweaty hands.  I learned the hard way... Some of my tiles still have finger prints etched into the metal even after polishing.

Nice work!!

Your coppering looks fine to me, but I'm not an expert as I've not coppered any hulls yet😏 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

You're Cruising right along with coppering. Looking good! 

You didn't all that coppering in one day? Amazingly accurate!

I have tried coppering so far only once, and that (HM Schooner Pickle) ended -also for other reasons- in the waste bin. So I decided to paint my Jalouse white...

2 hours ago, Oboship said:

You didn't all that coppering in one day? Amazingly accurate!

I have tried coppering so far only once, and that (HM Schooner Pickle) ended -also for other reasons- in the waste bin. So I decided to paint my Jalouse white...

The beauty of being on a holiday... I think future ships will also not be coppered I find it excruciatingly annoying and rather unpleasant for the overall aspect of the ship

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jalouse is not dead, I have just been on a research trip in France for my job! I finished the coppering which is now looking nice and green. The patina is really growing on me. Started the deck fittings, my favourite part of the model. If anyone has a trick to rig guns fully without losing their mind, let me know...

40 minutes ago, thomashd said:

If anyone has a trick to rig guns fully without losing their mind, let me know...

Any parts more frustrating than others? I’m currently at this stage and doing it for the first time following two references from build logs. Both have helped me immensely, but there’s no getting around doing it 🙂

H.M. Cutter Alert by Blue Ensign

HMS Speedy by Delf

Both have great insight.

On 9/7/2020 at 9:04 PM, VTHokiEE said:

Any parts more frustrating than others? I’m currently at this stage and doing it for the first time following two references from build logs. Both have helped me immensely, but there’s no getting around doing it 🙂

H.M. Cutter Alert by Blue Ensign

HMS Speedy by Delf

Both have great insight.

The gun tackles are a bit problematic, I cannot seem to find the right tension and then there is the serious issue of making a proper rope coil at the end. 

8 minutes ago, thomashd said:

serious issue of making a proper rope coil at the end

I hope you're not trying to make these by using the actual ends of the tackles themselves? That would be a nightmare! What I do is tack the tackle to the deck with a spot of CA and then trim the excess line. Make the rope coil off the model and then glue it down to the deck, being sure to cover the tacked end from the previous step.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

42 minutes ago, thomashd said:

I cannot seem to find the right tension

Are you doing this on the model or have you made a jig off the model? It may be easier off the model if you can.

41 minutes ago, thomashd said:

serious issue of making a proper rope coil at the end. 

I'm starting to think that I might not include the coils and go for a look like the second picture in this post (assuming the link works):

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/22783-hms-speedy-by-delf-vanguard-models-scale-164-master-shipwright-edition/?do=findComment&comment=731381