Trinidad and Tobago fishing boat by Kevin Kenny - FINISHED - using traditional building methods

Very interesting boat Kevin. The bottom photo in your last post shows how large it really is - surprisingly so.  I like the anchor, it is unique and ingenious.  This is a nice open boat model celebrating your local fishing heritage. 

Your doing a great job and I look forward to seeing the model in her final paint.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Today i start on the finial model, actually model number 4 of the same build. Scratch building a model from a book with limited access to actual measurements and building methods not fully described is bound to causes mistakes. Since the objective of this build was to recreate the fishing boat exactly as it was built I have decided to do it one last time.

The book gave detailed materials needed to build a 25 ft pirogue yet the photographs in the book show a 28 ft boat being built. I only discovered this when speaking to Richard Hubbard very late in the build. This explains why we ended up with less ribs than saw in the photographs. So we have prepared a new keel “shell”and stem. 

Today i start on the finial model, actually model number 4 of the same build. Scratch building a model from a book with limited access to actual measurements and building methods not fully described is bound to causes mistakes. Since the objective of this build was to recreate the fishing boat exactly as it was built I have decided to do it one last time.

The book gave detailed materials needed to build a 25 ft pirogue yet the photographs in the book show a 28 ft boat being built. I only discovered this when speaking to Richard Hubbard very late in the build. This explains why we ended up with less ribs than saw in the photographs. So we have prepared a new keel “shell”and stem. 

Putting on plank 2 I had to increase the angle at the bow as well as taper the bow cut . Once that fit i shaved the inside edge  at the stern to get it to fit the taper I had previously cut  on the outside edge of plank 1, then installed two braces to again flatten the bottom planks

913D0F15-88AF-4730-B647-9C7D0A9497FB.jpeg

A51315B3-4552-476B-B81E-65CD95E928F3.jpeg

DEEED265-9901-4172-949A-39CD1CC630BE.jpeg