Well -details on the construction of wells and shot lockers

Regarding British fourth rates.   I have found details on the construction of wells and shot lockers in several "modern" sources, with only slight differences between all sources, save one.   The lower portion below the orlop is relatively straight forward in design and very similar in all cases, but my question is regarding the upper portion on the orlop deck.   At some point the slats were installed as louvered pieces to allow air circulation.  For earlier vessels, circa 1600 through early 1700's, at least one drawing that I have studied appears to have these slats the same as below the orlop, that is,  not louvered.  Is one method or the other correct, or would both methods have been used during these times?

T.I.A.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU