Mantura 738 HMS Victory 1/78 scale.

Looking for the size shot to use for cannon ball holders.

In addition, looking for the write size barrels to use.

Looking at mounting barrels like in the picture.

What say you experts?

Barrels2.jpg.d388adb3ed6c6b4c6150bf412eca90c0.jpg

Mantura is one of the old line companies.   For a kit they look pretty good, for accuracy... not so much.  Back than, most of the companies just tossed parts into the box that were "close'.  I would probably be better to replace the shot than barrels. But it's your choice.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Mantura is one of the old line companies.   For a kit they look pretty good, for accuracy... not so much.  Back than, most of the companies just tossed parts into the box that were "close'.  I would probably be better to replace the shot than barrels. But it's your choice.

Mantura didn't provide barrels or shot.  I like the looks of a couple of barrels in this wide open space.  Just trying to figure what would look close to scale.

Size: H11mm (7/16") x W 5mm (13/64") x B 8mm (5/16")

Size: H 14mm (9/16") x W 8mm (3/8") x B 12 mm (15/32")

Size: H17mm (43/64") x W 11mm (7/16") x B 17mm (43/64")

As for shot, they didn't provide that either.  Trying to get an idea of what size shot I need to get.

Daliab,

I assume you are speaking about the cannon barrels not the casks? 

For the cannon balls, which guns?  I believe she carried 32, 24 and 12 pounders.  Assuming the 12 pounders on the upper deck, and your scale of 1:78, the diameter of the cannon balls would be about 0.058 inches (1.5mm)   Even the smallest bird shot (number 10) is a little bit too large (0.070 - 1.7mm)    You may be able to find micro marbles (color coated glass) that are close as they are available at 1.5, 1, and 0.5mm diameter.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

19 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Daliab,

I assume you are speaking about the cannon barrels not the casks? 

For the cannon balls, which guns?  I believe she carried 32, 24 and 12 pounders.  Assuming the 12 pounders on the upper deck, and your scale of 1:78, the diameter of the cannon balls would be about 0.058 inches (1.5mm)   Even the smallest bird shot (number 10) is a little bit too large (0.070 - 1.7mm)    You may be able to find micro marbles (color coated glass) that are close as they are available at 1.5, 1, and 0.5mm diameter.  

Allan

Thank you for the reply Allan.

Sorry, I was talking about the kegs on the deck.  Although not with the kit, I liked something in the wide open space and saw another manufactor's online build use two barrels tied down.

I too was thinking of #10 bird shot but thought those would be too big also.  Now I'm thinking of going to JoAnn's Fabric store and look in their bead department.  Maybe they will have something small that I can use in the place of bird shot.

Daliab, your model would look better without those barrels on decks.  Clear decks were (and are) the mark of a warship.  No clutter is a good thing when lots of space is required to fight the ship; plus clutter on deck simply means more splinters to maim and kill when a shot hits.

John

Builders,

I am building the USS Constitution in 1:76 scale. I found that MOdel Shipways has a complete set of cannon balls, ranging from 1mm to 6mm. The shot for a 32 lb carronade is about 2.5 mm.

Now I am looking for a set of  9mm cannon balls for a 1:16 scale of a 24 pound long gun. Any idea where I might find this size cannon ball, or bird shot or BB?

Thanks,

RG Head

Coroando

rghead@san.rr.com

11 hours ago, REG Head said:

Builders,

I am building the USS Constitution in 1:76 scale. I found that MOdel Shipways has a complete set of cannon balls, ranging from 1mm to 6mm. The shot for a 32 lb carronade is about 2.5 mm.

Now I am looking for a set of  9mm cannon balls for a 1:16 scale of a 24 pound long gun. Any idea where I might find this size cannon ball, or bird shot or BB?

Thanks,

RG Head

Coroando

rghead@san.rr.com

You have answers in your topic you posted on this.     I do suggest you NOT post your email addy.   We get crawled by a lot of bots and there's no telling where that email addy will end up.  You'll probably start seeing lots of spam because of posting it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)