Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Mantura 738 HMS Victory 1/78 scale.

Looking for the size shot to use for cannon ball holders.

In addition, looking for the write size barrels to use.

Looking at mounting barrels like in the picture.

What say you experts?

 

Barrels2.jpg.d388adb3ed6c6b4c6150bf412eca90c0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mantura is one of the old line companies.   For a kit they look pretty good, for accuracy... not so much.  Back than, most of the companies just tossed parts into the box that were "close'.  I would probably be better to replace the shot than barrels. But it's your choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Mantura is one of the old line companies.   For a kit they look pretty good, for accuracy... not so much.  Back than, most of the companies just tossed parts into the box that were "close'.  I would probably be better to replace the shot than barrels. But it's your choice.

Mantura didn't provide barrels or shot.  I like the looks of a couple of barrels in this wide open space.  Just trying to figure what would look close to scale.

Size: H11mm (7/16") x W 5mm (13/64") x B 8mm (5/16")

Size: H 14mm (9/16") x W 8mm (3/8") x B 12 mm (15/32")

Size: H17mm (43/64") x W 11mm (7/16") x B 17mm (43/64")

As for shot, they didn't provide that either.  Trying to get an idea of what size shot I need to get.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daliab,

 

I assume you are speaking about the cannon barrels not the casks? 

 

For the cannon balls, which guns?  I believe she carried 32, 24 and 12 pounders.  Assuming the 12 pounders on the upper deck, and your scale of 1:78, the diameter of the cannon balls would be about 0.058 inches (1.5mm)   Even the smallest bird shot (number 10) is a little bit too large (0.070 - 1.7mm)    You may be able to find micro marbles (color coated glass) that are close as they are available at 1.5, 1, and 0.5mm diameter.  


Allan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Daliab,

 

I assume you are speaking about the cannon barrels not the casks? 

 

For the cannon balls, which guns?  I believe she carried 32, 24 and 12 pounders.  Assuming the 12 pounders on the upper deck, and your scale of 1:78, the diameter of the cannon balls would be about 0.058 inches (1.5mm)   Even the smallest bird shot (number 10) is a little bit too large (0.070 - 1.7mm)    You may be able to find micro marbles (color coated glass) that are close as they are available at 1.5, 1, and 0.5mm diameter.  


Allan

Thank you for the reply Allan.

Sorry, I was talking about the kegs on the deck.  Although not with the kit, I liked something in the wide open space and saw another manufactor's online build use two barrels tied down.

I too was thinking of #10 bird shot but thought those would be too big also.  Now I'm thinking of going to JoAnn's Fabric store and look in their bead department.  Maybe they will have something small that I can use in the place of bird shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daliab, your model would look better without those barrels on decks.  Clear decks were (and are) the mark of a warship.  No clutter is a good thing when lots of space is required to fight the ship; plus clutter on deck simply means more splinters to maim and kill when a shot hits.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with John.  But, if you do go with barrels/casks you almost can't go wrong choosing a size.  Casks came in a multitude of sizes and shapes.

 

Regards,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murphy is alive and well aboard ship.  Anything that can come loose in rough weather will, and once they start rolling around they become a lethal missle.  Barrels belong below decks well secured.

 

Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Builders,

I am building the USS Constitution in 1:76 scale. I found that MOdel Shipways has a complete set of cannon balls, ranging from 1mm to 6mm. The shot for a 32 lb carronade is about 2.5 mm.

Now I am looking for a set of  9mm cannon balls for a 1:16 scale of a 24 pound long gun. Any idea where I might find this size cannon ball, or bird shot or BB?

Thanks,

RG Head

Coroando

rghead@san.rr.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, REG Head said:

Builders,

I am building the USS Constitution in 1:76 scale. I found that MOdel Shipways has a complete set of cannon balls, ranging from 1mm to 6mm. The shot for a 32 lb carronade is about 2.5 mm.

Now I am looking for a set of  9mm cannon balls for a 1:16 scale of a 24 pound long gun. Any idea where I might find this size cannon ball, or bird shot or BB?

Thanks,

RG Head

Coroando

rghead@san.rr.com

 

 

You have answers in your topic you posted on this.     I do suggest you NOT post your email addy.   We get crawled by a lot of bots and there's no telling where that email addy will end up.  You'll probably start seeing lots of spam because of posting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shooting supply store that carries muzzle loading supplies should have 36 caliber.  Round balls.  They will ne lead so you will have to prime them well.

 

Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
×
×
  • Create New...