2021 NRG CONFERENCE

Roger,

Great story. We are all glad you decided to pick up that copy of the Marietta Times newspaper.

For those that don't know, Marietta Ohio is a historic river boat town. Returning the NRG Conference there after a 45 year hiatus is an interesting idea. The city celebrates its Sternwheel Festival in September each year (cancelled this year...of course). It is a wonderful event. While the dates don't line up, a NRG Conference scheduled to coincide with the Sternwheel event would give spouses something exciting to experience.  I am attaching a link.

https://ohio-river-sternwheel-festival.myshopify.com/

• 3 months later...

One of these days, you might consider San Diego. They've good a great maritime museum with real sailing ships, the Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum nearby, which is on my "bucket list," and the fleshpots of Tijuana, which are only 25 minutes away! Sailors just love San Diego! :D 

See: https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/ (Affilliated with Sherline Co.)

McGin35b.jpg

McGin73b.jpg

Chenot0001.jpg

These are fully operational working miniatures! The Duesenberg is 1:6 scale and made of over 6,000 parts. The engine is  true to scale and runs just as the original on gasoline hitting on all twelve cylinders!

We have had the Conference in San Diego 3 times.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 3 months later...

I attended the 2016 NRG conference in San Diego, the first one I have been to. The current proposed location looks good to me, and many alternative ideas floated above. Very surprised that I didn't see Erie as an idea, even though I think that is in Penn instead of Ohio? Probably already did at least one there anyways. I currently am living in Denver and I think this will make a great location although there aren't major bodies of water nearby.

Mr. Van Dahm, I have two questions for you concerning the upcoming NRG convention at the Channel Island Maritime Museum or other decided location. Does the Guild get to secure certain hotels and/or rates to those attending the conferences? Also, with this event being in California, do you know if attendees are going to be required to have received COVID vaccinations prior to attending? I am looking at being at the convention this year and my father coming along as well.

I received this from the NRG earlier today:  😢

2021 CONFERENCE CANCELLED

The Board has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2021 Conference. 

Many of our previous attendees are senior citizens or have high risk factors for contracting COVID-19. Therefore, the Board has concluded that many members will still be reluctant to travel to attend the event this Fall.

We have been in contact with the Channel Islands Maritime Museum and are hopeful that we will be able to hold the 2022 Conference there. 

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

42 minutes ago, bdgiantman2 said:

Mr. Van Dahm, I have two questions for you concerning the upcoming NRG convention at the Channel Island Maritime Museum or other decided location. Does the Guild get to secure certain hotels and/or rates to those attending the conferences? Also, with this event being in California, do you know if attendees are going to be required to have received COVID vaccinations prior to attending? I am looking at being at the convention this year and my father coming along as well.

An email was sent out to NRG members earlier today, not sure it's not posted here... 

2021 CONFERENCE CANCELLED

The Board has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2021 Conference. 

Many of our previous attendees are senior citizens or have high risk factors for contracting COVID-19. Therefore, the Board has concluded that many members will still be reluctant to travel to attend the event this Fall.

We have been in contact with the Channel Islands Maritime Museum and are hopeful that we will be able to hold the 2022 Conference there. 

Our Annual Meeting will be a virtual event later in the year.  Details will be announced in the Secretary’s News Letter when the date is determined.

An unfortunate turn of events, but prudence is the better part of valor. This bug isn't giving up easily and the new mutated variants are of concern. We're fully vaccinated, but were advised by the docs to continue with the mitigation protocols nonetheless, except for socializing in small family gatherings with other fully vaccinated folks. 

This is the right decision. Vaccinations or not, worse variants are still developing and spreading, and it's simply too hard to predict what fall will look like. Could be great, could be far less so. And the NRG is being responsible in not putting anyone's lives or money at risk for an event that, personal interest aside, is far from essential. I was greatly looking forward to attending the 2020 event, which would have been my first, and I fully support holding off on that until 2022.

10 hours ago, bdgiantman2 said:

Mr. Van Dahm, I have two questions for you concerning the upcoming NRG convention at the Channel Island Maritime Museum or other decided location. Does the Guild get to secure certain hotels and/or rates to those attending the conferences?

In the past we have done this as we have held most conferences within a hotel with banquet and meeting spaces.  We will not be doing this when we hold the 2022 Conference there at the Channel Islands Maritime Museum as the entire conference with the exception of the tour will be held at the museum.  There are many nearby hotels and we will provide a list for attendees.  When the event is not in a hotel we have no bargaining power to get discounted rooms.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

For our German association we will in all likelyhood also have to cancel the AGM in late September this year. Even when most of our members are also above 60 years of age and should have received their second shot by the end of summer, a vaccination only means that you are most likely not to develop severe sysmptoms, but you can still catch the virus. So we should all avoid gatherings until 2022. A hobby is not worth the risk.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 6 months later...

Has there been any update as to the virtual alternative this year?   I cant recall if I received a notification and cant seem to find in my email (which means nothing if you know me at all, ha).  

• 1 month later...

Just in case, here's the email I received:

The 2021 Annual Meeting of the NRG will be held Saturday, November 20, 2021, at 10:30 AM Central Standard Time (Chicago area).  As we did last year, the meeting will be virtual using Zoom.  The invite link to the meeting and the agenda will be sent to you on Friday, November 19th.  The event will be opened to join at 10:15 AM to give everyone a chance to sign in before we start the meeting promptly at 10:30 AM. 

Due to the number of attendees, video cameras will not be enabled.   All attendees will be muted upon entering the meeting and we ask that you remain muted unless you are asking a question.  There will be opportunities to ask questions throughout the meeting. 

I'm sad to say I'll have to miss this live due to a commitment that's coming up. I assume it'll be recorded and offered for later viewing?

The 2021 conference was cancelled.  Nobody will be attending this year.  Looking forward to 2022 however.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

The 2021 conference was cancelled.  Nobody will be attending this year.  Looking forward to 2022 however.

Did this get announced?  The only notice I’ve received was the email about the meeting this Saturday (11/20) - and that was only a week or so ago I think.

Justin, we have sent out all member emails every month, sometimes more than one in a month.  Check your spam folder.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I hit the send button too early.  Check the NRG's website -  https://thenrg.org/events  - the events page has shown the 2021 Conference as being cancelled for several months (Feb or March I believe). 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I think we confusing things, or I am at least.   The annual meeting is this Saturday - I received a notification as recently as Sunday about this.   I assumed this was the virtual alternative to the conference where an annual meeting would have otherwise been held.   I have received nothing since that says this meeting is cancelled.   

To be clear I’ve known the in-person conference has been cancelled for some time.

Edited by Justin P.

The Zoom invite will go out to all members tomorrow for the Annual Member Meeting as per the email sent recently. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, kurtvd19 said:

The Zoom invite will go out to all members tomorrow for the Annual Member Meeting as per the email sent recently. 

Is everything  healthy Kurt   within the site?   I hope it is  as its  so  important  for so many people  - its a  genuine family here, I for one  would not want to imagine  an everday  world  without  our site.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I can say with complete confidence that the NRG - and MSW - have never been in better shape than right now.  We have experienced continued growth and member involvement.  It was common to get less than 100 members responding to surveys and voting and we now can count on hundreds participating in votes and feedback.  We will be sharing a lot of information with the membership tomorrow about growth and activities.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

6 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

I can say with complete confidence that the NRG - and MSW - have never been in better shape than right now.  We have experienced continued growth and member involvement.  It was common to get less than 100 members responding to surveys and voting and we now can count on hundreds participating in votes and feedback.  We will be sharing a lot of information with the membership tomorrow about growth and activities.

That is Great news.

Thank you  Kurt☺️👍

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thank you to everyone who attended the 2021 NRG Annual Meeting on Saturday, the 20th.  The meeting was recorded but I cannot tell you exactly when it will be available for viewing.  As mentioned during the meeting, whether we have an in-person 2022 Conference is dependent on the COVID-19 situation in the Spring.  As soon as we have made a decision, we will notify the membership via email.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.