genocon

Buying Used Kits.

I have purchased several 'used' models in the past. I just wanted to post some observations about the practice, and ask if anyone has had similar experience. Most of these are either just opened by someone and rustled through, or they started building it, then quit, probably a kid who didn't realize how much work was involved. They work out to be much cheaper, in some instances, and if all the parts are still present, can end up just as nice as a brand new model. And, really, most parts you can fab up if you need to.

A recent purchase was maybe twenty or thirty dollars cheaper than market price, and was missing the instructions. No problem. Not on this forum. I was able to get a digital file of the instructions, a parts list, and even the six plan sheets, which were also missing. 

Another one was chopped up pretty bad and had a bunch of pieces already cut out of the parts  boards. The description of the sale said it had been started. Did not mention the chopped up part. I almost complained, but then I remembered I paid $8.88 for it. It's a Scientific model, usually going for around $30. I managed to fix up the butchery, but the stern is considerably more trim than the original Bounty. Finished product came out alright for the money.

1.JPG.0f45ec3e6a5b36aec641d046a53eb3df.JPG2.JPG.0873a222bace384b7a2aed65cf93fb4a.JPG10.jpg.b2cac94a6d6e362c2a2a44ca3f2bfc18.jpg

So, that's all. I wonder if anyone else has had good or bad luck buying used.  

-geno

eBay used to be a much better place to shop many years ago, but these days everyone seems to think that whatever they are selling is a gold mine. They don't bother to do the research that's needed to set a reasonable asking price. That said, I have purchased a few kits off that site and never had any issues, neither with the kit nor the transaction.

8 hours ago, genocon said:

And, really, most parts you can fab up if you need to.

A progression from here is to forego all of the pre-made parts and scratch build.  Your possibilities increase by a couple or three magnitudes.  The limits here are the available plans.  And if your devotion to historical accuracy has flexible limits, it will be limited by your skill either at a drawing board or a CAD program.  And with a lot of the legacy plans for notorious vessels, the origins and specifics only wink the reality of what they purport to represent.  But, to be fair,  at the time most were produced,  there was not much else available.  Of course,  more than a few kits share this same tenuous attachment to reality.

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

They don't bother to do the research that's needed to set a reasonable asking price.

Some sellers I think, try to re-coop there eBay and PayPal fees. But there are deals to be had if you are willing to wait. 

I just bought a new Panart Lancia Armata 1803  Armored Launch 1/16 scale for a third of retail. I looked for a long time but wasn't going to pay full retail plus shipping. And about 18 months ago I bought a new Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop for a fraction of retail. But you have to be careful and read the description and look at all the photos very close you could get skinned.

The problem for me is I will end up with more models than I could ever build. 

I hate ModelExp  😊, they run those 40% off sales.         

RussR

12 hours ago, Jaager said:

A progression from here is to forego all of the pre-made parts and scratch build.  

Oh yeah, that's what I need. I'm sure my wife will be fine with the sparkling new CNC Laser in the garage.  And the brass foundry will probably need a permit. I think I'll stick to models for now. 

12 hours ago, RussR said:

Some sellers I think, try to re-coop there eBay and PayPal fees. But there are deals to be had if you are willing to wait. 

This was what I said when I read the post about high prices. The sellers get beat up by all the fees. Still, I've gotten a LOT of deals on ebay. The $8.88 Bounty was from Etsy, which I had never used before. Pretty cheap. Shipping was $9.99 to add a little irony. Still cheap.

15 hours ago, RussR said:

The problem for me is I will end up with more models than I could ever build. 

I hate ModelExp  😊, they run those 40% off sales.         

RussR

Those sales are a problem...… lol,