New to Modelling

KevW

Hi all

I am Kevin and live in North Yorkshire, UK. A 58 year old lucky enough to have taken early retirement a few months ago. I have a real interest in history from the Napoleonic times.  I have been thinking about a model ship for a few years now and having just finished an epic 2 volume book on the life of Nelson by John Sugden, I have decided to get started. Having looked at some awesome models on this forum I have just ordered the Caldercraft HMC Sherbourne which fits nicely into the time period of history that holds my interest.  I hope I can do the vessel some justice but I have to be realistic about my first build. Whilst I find starting this to be daunting I hope I can learn from others. 

Kev

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW. 

Sherbourne was my first wooden ship, so I hope you enjoy building her.

Don't forget to start a build log here, and you'll get plenty of advice and support.

Above all have fun!!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome aboard, Kevin. Sherbourne was my secon plank-on-bulkhead kit, and it is a fun kit to build. The instructions are minimal, but you should be able to find any additional guidance you may need here. The model can really be spiffed up with a few simple extras, many of which are detailed in the various finished logs here. Enjoy your project.

(P.S. If I may, could I ask that you please give some consideration to your username? We already have an active member who goes by the username "kevin" -- 'cause his name is Kevin, like yours -- and it might prove confusing to have two almost identical usernames in use, and both from the UK, too. If you decide on a change, a moderator can make the change for you.)

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, Kev in said:

Hi all

I am Kevin and live in North Yorkshire, UK. A 58 year old lucky enough to have taken early retirement a few months ago. I have a real interest in history from the Napoleonic times.  I have been thing about a model ship for a few years now and having just finished an epic 2 volume book on the life of Nelson by John Sugden, I have decided to get started. Having looked at some awesome models on this forum I have just ordered the Caldercraft HMC Sherbourne which fits nicely into the time period of history that holds my interest.  I hope I can do the vessel some justice but I have to be realistic about my first build. Whilst I find starting this to be daunting I hope I can learn from others. 

Kev

Don't be daunted! We look forward to seeing you get this and crack that box open. 

Every build is a journey, no matter how much or little experience we have. That's part of the fun. There's plenty here who can and will help you. Remember, there's never such a thing as a silly question either. Just ask away!

@chris watton designed that model too, so he'll be able to watch your progress. 

:722972270:

Kev,  Welcome to Model Ship World.  The Sherbourne builds into a nice model and you will find many build logs on this model that you can use for reference on your build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:722972270:,
Kevin, I know you will enjoy the build and there are people here to help out if/when you are running problem.

This forum is made for questions and answers, a way to support each other throughout a build process. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW, Kevin.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Many thanks for the welcome everyone.  

10 hours ago, ccoyle said:

(P.S. If I may, could I ask that you please give some consideration to your username? We already have an active member who goes by the username "kevin" -- 'cause his name is Kevin, like yours -- and it might prove confusing to have two almost identical usernames in use, and both from the UK, too. If you decide on a change, a moderator can make the change for you.)

No problem at all.  Happy to be KevW.  

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, Kev in said:

Happy to be KevW.  

I have sent the request to the admins, so if you log in sometime in the near future and can't get in using "Kev in", you'll know why.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome, I think you'll find folks here helpful and encouraging.  I just finished my first model, and plenty of people had advice, criticism (helpful) and even praise.  It's nice to have other people appreciate the amount of effort that goes into one of these projects.

“The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
― Jacques Yves Cousteau

Work in Progress: US Brig Syren

Completed Works: Thermopylae