Kit Review - HMS ENTERPRIZE (1774) by CAF MODELS

kljang

On 8/8/2020 at 8:20 PM, kljang said:

Hi ASAT,

No, you didn’t miss it.  I didn’t list any shipping costs as it depends on how it was shipped.  Prior to the pandemic, my kit and other items I ordered from China came via China Post to Canada.  Now, Chinese prodecers are using courier services such as DHL to avoid sitting in the post office (in my case Canada Post) until cleared by customs.  The courier firms have their own brokerage which is faster but comes at a price.  

I suggest you email Tom and ask.  The kits can be provided in parts so you can stretch out the costs.  This is why each box is a self contained unit of parts, plans, etc.  You can start with box 1, build away until you are ready for the next part.

cheers,

Kerry

Hi Kerry

Excelent review !!  Other excelent news is that we may order by box.  You have suggested to contact Tom.  Do you have his contact ?

A doubt: this kit was based on which set of plans, do you know ?

Alex

Alex

"By endurance we conquer"

Hi Alex,

You can contact Tom via the CAF Models website or with this email:  450449987@qq.com

The kit was based on plans from the National Maritime Museum which provided the lines.  All of the framing and what not was created by Tom using practices of model shipwrights of the time.  A Polish card model company also created a kit of Enterprize and published plans of the ship.  This was used as a reference for decoration etc. as they had done a lot of research to determine the style of frieze etc.  

Cheers,

Kerry

2 hours ago, kljang said:

Hi Alex,

You can contact Tom via the CAF Models website or with this email:  450449987@qq.com

The kit was based on plans from the National Maritime Museum which provided the lines.  All of the framing and what not was created by Tom using practices of model shipwrights of the time.  A Polish card model company also created a kit of Enterprize and published plans of the ship.  This was used as a reference for decoration etc. as they had done a lot of research to determine the style of frieze etc.  

Cheers,

Kerry

Thanks Kerry !  I've alread sent the e-mail.

Regarding to the Polish company, is it the Shipyard ?  If so, that card kit was based in the same plans of the NMM ?

Alex

Hi Alex,

Yes, the Polish company was Shipyard.  I have their HMS Juno plans myself and are quite good.    I would think they used the NMM draughts to develop their card kits but I can’t say for sure if they do.

I know when Tom designs a kit he cross checks his work against other’s sources of information.  He tells me he finds contradictions in all plans, lines that don’t match up, And a lot of fun areas that are unclear.  When I met him last year he showed me on a Royal barge how lines, measurements and details from well known sources did not agree.  His CAD renderings show up these inconsistencies quite well, then he goes and researches which version might be correct or tried to reconcile them.  He says he finds errors all the time in published plan sets of a ship and spends a lot of time trying to sort out where the variances and correct them before he can create cutting files to guide a laser.  It’s really a case of The GIGO Principle - Garbage  In, Garbage Out so you just can’t copy a plan to make kit,  the drawings must be checked, checked and corrected.   I’m glad he’s good at it!

Cheers,

Kerry

Hi Kerry

Wow, this is an interesting history !  I didn't know that there were others published plans of the HMS Enterprise. I understood that Tom had to check the NMM plans against others plans to achieve an accurated plan in order to make his work. 'Course, may be the own NMM plans may be a bit incorrect because they were made by hands on.  Even they were very precises, a CAD is much more an can point out those inconsistencies.  Moreover, the paper may suffer variations due to factors like umity, the quality of the paper, etc.

That's ok, I thank you.

I'll wait for CAF Models answer.

Alex

Alex

Hello USS Frolick,

When built, the frames are 1/4” thick, made up of two slices of 1/8”.  The frames are slightly simplified.  What I mean is that each is constructed futtock by futtock, but the joins between futtock pieces are straight, and not scarphed as in true English framing practice.  There is no reason to show scarphed joints between futtock parts as they will not be seen as each frame face where they would be seen is hidden by the frame ahead and aft.  The joints between futtock that would be visible on the side all fall where they should and follow a sheer.   

Hope this helps,

Kerry

Hi USS Frolick,

the kit has two types of square frames.  Thick and thin.  The thin ones are 1/4” thick when assembled, and station frames that are thicker at 3/8” assembled.  The space between frames is 1/4”, but for the frames at the stern and bow (not cant frames) the space is reduced to 1/8”.  

Cheers,

Kerry

yipeeeee

mine is on;y 30 odd miles up the M5

Screenshot_1.png.b616f49454baa48b24b72fb5691db351.png

Screenshot_3.png

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat