Dallas 1815 by Rik Thistle - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50 - revenue cutter

Hi everyone,

Here is my slow-time build log of the Dallas Cutter. The pictures are a bit rough and ready and were taken originally as a memory jogger for myself...little did I know.... 😉

The Dallas was started 25 years ago and I got as far as finishing the hull before the project was put into cold storage.

Here is the front cover of the box which contained all the parts, 3x very good layout drawing sheets and a (sometimes confusing) 15 page Instruction Booklet

1925150683_dallasbox1(Copy).thumb.jpg.3bebee715d24d486d704625491da80e7.jpg

25 yrs ago the hull starts to get the planking fitted.

1516967527_shippic2(Copy).thumb.jpg.c0b557ddc55558c06c7a6c80040c9107.jpg

Hull planking finished.

1451147232_shippic1a(Copy).thumb.jpg.9a8eff5b80c5293ddfe5cac6701f0a60.jpg

Decking started.

1338695598_shippic4(Copy).thumb.jpg.11a9cb2baf52b964ff888ef3b3b2b03a.jpg

Hull and decking finished, mostly.

2034501536_shippic3(Copy).thumb.jpg.24e2e4dcf918c01645a2e3a83ac47b8d.jpg

June/July 2020. Deck fittings etc installed. Some parts highlighted with 'Canadian Cedar' Danish Oil.

859608854_shippic9(Copy).thumb.jpg.fdb41dcc5f756020e3b0b4b6496a9edc.jpg

Railings being installed.

Note: new £15 battery powered Banggood 'Dremel' bottom right. It works OK and battery lasts a reasonable time. However the supplied brass collets don't have their holes drilled in the centre of the collet so drills cut slightly large (and vibrate). I also have an actual battery powered Dremel + extension cable, but it is a bit heavy handed for the finer work.

291881246_shippic10(Copy).thumb.jpg.fb2b60ed5698f60a09dc3360b3774276.jpg

Almost ready for masts and rigging.

1531794647_shippic12(Copy).thumb.jpg.a8eac99c221ed4fd083879f7b12bc5ce.jpg

Dummy deck idea, to facilitate the assembly of mast and rigging away from the 'real' ship to prevent damage to deck fittings. I'm unsure whether I'll actually use this dummy deck...might just fit straight onto real ship....pondering.

1926352718_shippic11(Copy).thumb.jpg.545d8ba3b776b7cffdc9fc4404487525.jpg

OK, that's it for now. Any advice/comments gladly received.

All the best,

Richard

Looking good!

Your hull planking is way better than mine is (which is why I painted and coppered mine).

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

You are making good progress Richard.  This builds into a very nice model when completed and I am glad you restarted it.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Nice retrospective, Richard!

She's looking good. That's a very attractive vessel, and you're certainly doing her justice.

I like the idea of the dummy deck. I've never seen that done before, and I've made a mental note in case I want to try it myself in a future build.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Work continues slowly on the Dallas.

I've been concentrating on the two masts and associated booms.

To assist with tapering masts etc I bought a Proxxon DB250 lathe (plus 3 jaw chuck, tailstock chuck and set of wood turning tools). 

2081016613_latheshed2(Copy).thumb.jpg.ce3ab28457d97710d7a1bb7de24e0b81.jpg

No major grumbles with the lathe...it's good for what it costs (£160) and does the job.

Minor grumbles are....  the tailstock has side-aways slop, unscrewing the live centre and fitting the tail chuck in it's place is time consuming and the plastic collets leave small marks on the workpiece.

Lathe overall...8.5/10 🙂

Making a new 2mm Dia length for inserting into the end of one of the booms. I accidentally broke off the existing 2mm Dia end of that boom.

609795636_2mmdia1(Copy).thumb.jpg.26b25523a8b03ce5831639f14738973e.jpg

Sanding...using a smooth wooden off-cut underneath to support the downforce of the sanding block.

1198040424_2mmdia2(Copy).thumb.jpg.b29f5f66e8d6e2e9feb25234b2a7817b.jpg

The two masts, plus booms. Nothing stained or glued together yet. Still reading the instructions' small print for anything I've missed.

685703623_masts1(Copy).thumb.jpg.236fae17f3b157466ddf1d905a39a256.jpg

See above, my new Razor Saw, bought initially for cutting the 2mm slots, one in the end of each boom.  I did a bit of practice with the saw on scrap dowel first to get a feel for it and see what kind of cut it makes. It's blade is only 0.008" thick, and it certainly does make a 0.008" cut - impressive. So I made two saw cuts in the boom end by eye, the two cuts being about 1mm apart and then tucked a piece of folded over Medium sandpaper into the slot to sand it to the correct width. I had drilled a 1mm Dia hole at the top of each slot before sawing to stop crack propagation;  I also tied the largest boom with string as belt and braces.

Otherwise, I've been spending far too much time reading all sorts of stuff on this website ;-)....and also researching manufacturing techniques (...including buying 'Ship Modelling Simplified by Frank Mastini).

OK, that's all for now. See you all soon'ish,

Richard

PS: I've tried to edit/delete the 3x images below but they keep coming back after Save. Help!

lathe shed 4 (Copy).jpg

lathe shed 4 (Copy).jpg

lathe shed 3 (Copy).jpg

Thanks Steven,

Yes, the new Proxxon lathe is very capable for small stuff. I'm looking for excuses to use it now.

The last time I was on a woodworking lathe was at school, many moons ago. Those lathes were free standing and much larger, but the principles of operation are much the same.

I'm enjoying doing the Dallas. But the further I go the more I'm beginning to understand why historical accuracy plays such a big role in many of the threads on this forum. For me at this time, it's more of an educational exercise learning about the best ways to 'manufacture' the model ship, all the names of the items used etc and then and just getting to the finishing post.

Best regards,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I wonder if I can seek some advice regarding 'knots'. I'm about to start attaching lines to the masts etc and tie off those lines. The Dallas drawing sheet below shows the various knots used....

937368254_fig22crop.thumb.jpg.9fbb275deb2a0fb48ccfdd2fc14d8f1e.jpg

I've had a look at https://www.animatedknots.com/complete-knot-list

.... but can't see anything relating to how the 3x knots (145, 144 and 138) in the top left corner are made. The first two look a bit like a noose slip knot but I don't imagine ships used slip knots?

Any thoughts or advice on how to make 145, 144 and 138?

Thanks,

Richard

I may have figured out the knot question.

If I look at the Dallas knot drawing with a magnifying glass it looks like the main rope (say 145) has it's end looped back on itself, then a seperate piece of rope is wound round the original rope's two diameters to hold the loop firm?

Richard

Do a google search for "seizing rope".

I'm still learning rigging. It's a whole new language. 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Richard,

Ah..... that's what I've been looking for. Many thanks.

'Seizing'...another new word for my rapidly growing shipbuilding dictionary!

Google has thrown up pages of results...time to start reading ;-)

All the best,

Richard

Hi,

After assembling and fitting the masts and bowsprint/jibboom I've made a tentative start on the rigging.  Yup....another whole new set of skills required for the rigging. RichardG was kind enough to advise I read up on 'seizing' and I have had a go on some of the ropes, but there are so many....

Anyway, here's 3x pics of the little progress made since last time.

Masts ect glued into place ...main mast at 76 deg 30 secs and foremast at 79 deg ....with a bit of luck.

The foremast has the only rigging done so far.

1310818763_rigging1.thumb.jpg.427ef44f736a6003f09f53995d069ec4.jpg

Close up of some rigging. Some seizing on some of the ropes but not on others (but maybe later). Deadeyes have rotated so ropes look a bit twisted - will try to rectify.

39339810_rigging4.thumb.jpg.56376f4bc4ed5a9f1947e184daf96d35.jpg

Close up of the upper section of the foremast.

104254572_rigging5.thumb.jpg.df1728ae135fb7e51902353aea6d231d.jpg

That's all folks,

Catch you soon,

Richard

Hi Steven,

After threading the deadeyes, some of them rotated slightly as I was attaching them to ropes above - that caused the three lines of rope between the deadeye pairs to cross over each other. I think the problem would be easily fixible (ie rotate them back in to correct position) were it not for the fact that I 'cheated' by adding a touch of glue to the rope knots.

Anyway, I'll keep slowly working towards finishing the ship and then have a think about whether I need/feel like correcting my mistakes. It's all a big learning curve at the moment which, I guess, is part of the enjoyment 🙂

Regards,

Richard

A quick update.

Rigging going on. Some corners cut and mistakes made but from a distance it looks like the Dallas is slowly taking shape.

The rigging drawing sheets, although they seem to contain all necessary information, are pretty smart at hiding crucial snippets of info in obscure places. 

I feel I spend more time studying the drawings/instructions rather than building...maybe that is the way it should be ...'read the manual first' ;-)

Basic rigging in place. Topsail yard half way through being fitted.

1276018524_rigging2.thumb.jpg.802eb7662752f0b75cac482c951faf8f.jpg

Close up of the rigging at the top of the two masts.

103781972_rigging6.thumb.jpg.71b5bdedbc03dfa72a5989f1485cdb33.jpg

Apologies for the photo quality - I'm using my mobile phone, mainly because it is handy and quick to transfer files. I'll dig out my proper camera for later pics.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Another short update.

The rigging on the Dallas slowly continues. Learning a lot as I progress, and finding new tricks and dodges to hide (some) of my mistakes 🙂

I've also started fitting the Yards.

1868564255_ship5.thumb.jpg.1553e9a0f03beaad5fc188aea11b15e9.jpg

...and from above...

542779610_ship1.thumb.jpg.f5bd06e4b286d1d17d621c6020ad244c.jpg

To assist with the rigging I've bought a cheap set of 'dentist's tools', and two tools (blue ones) specifically designed for rigging...

969535438_riggingtools1.thumb.jpg.e67a38dcb7b8adab972f9c62bfe3db72.jpg

I'm finding as the rope density on the ship increases it seems to become exponentially more difficult to attach and route the next rope. The new tools help considerably.

I'm also noting that taut ropes installed a few days ago become slacker as newer ropes are added. But I'm finding fudges to 're-taut' those ropes.

All in all quite a steep learning curve for me. Those that rig ships such as Nelson's HMS Victory have my deepest respect!

And there's not even any sails on the Dallas... another whole new ball game altogether.

Anyway, still enjoying the pain but looking forward to finishing Dallas and moving on to the Lady Eleanor Fifie.

Regards,

Richard

On 8/4/2020 at 6:52 PM, Rik Thistle said:

I think the problem would be easily fixible (ie rotate them back in to correct position) were it not for the fact that I 'cheated' by adding a touch of glue to the rope knots.

If you've been using PVA (white glue) you can dissolve it using "rubbing alcohol" (isopropyl alcohol),usually available from supermarkets in the "personal grooming" aisle. It works very well, so long as youallow it time to do its work (and sometimes you need to do it more than once). I use a Q-tip to apply it, but it might be better if you can find an applicator that is a bit more precise.

'isopropyl alcohol' - ah, OK Louie. Thanks for the tip.

I have a bottle of IPA in my shed,  so will experiment with it on the Gorilla PVA glue I've been using on most of the ropes. I have Q Tips and also some small syringes (somewhere).

51zCl4QRp8L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

I had initially used CA since it seemed a quick 'rope fix,' but quicly discovered it makes the ropes hard and leaves a mark. In parallel with my 'discovery', I was reading that many others on this website don't recommend CA as a primary fixing.

815A3ZRkSdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Regards, Richard

PS: I do like the self-sealing nozzle design on PVA glue containers these days.  It's very effective at stopping the glue hardening inside the bottle, as well as being a reasonable dispenser. There is a current thread elswhere on this site discussing best methods for dispensing and applying PVA, that I've been following.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

An update on the Dallas.

All the rigging is in place.

Lots of tidying up still to do to it eg seizing on some ropes, coils of rope to be added where necessary, some rigging tensions to be adjusted to pull yards, booms etc into proper alignment and trucks for the tops of the masts.

1133590776_rigging1(Copy).thumb.jpg.455c81231474137604366fbc890ef92e.jpg

From above...

1245958759_rigging2(Copy).thumb.jpg.61275f601e177d5988ec130daa53854a.jpg

Then next is adding the anchors....

1067225804_anchors1(Copy).thumb.jpg.3a005de0a082c162fc4a33a943c54440.jpg

I quite like the look of the Dallas. It is sleek lined, has a nice balance to it and is not an overly fussy ship design. Function over form.

So I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It took a fair bit of will power to restart Dallas after the hull sitting in the attic for 25yrs, but doing at least a tiny bit on it each day has helped keep moving it forward. I feel I may have now found a new hobby :-)

Regards,

Richard

Hi all,

I think I've reached the end of the journey with my Dallas Cutter ie Finished. There are still some areas needing 'looking at' eg no flag in the box so I'll make one up, some more rope coils to be added, and a bit of general tidying up.

But this is as far as I'm prepared to take it for now. It's been a great learning experience and a multitude of mistakes made and some pretty rough corners cut.

From above....

769118528_Finished1.thumb.jpg.81a6b117b09d346aac0b383d196e3a06.jpg

Looking up from the prow...

743114230_Finished4.thumb.jpg.7a5da1e0125c22ffb67f5b6df881d4e3.jpg

Looking down at the prow area...

2145167884_Finished9.thumb.jpg.a37ec0cfb964d6c73e8148661176d2e9.jpg

The deck....

1499954139_Finished5.thumb.jpg.ddd98e594e87a8673ba821ad2e895433.jpg

And ready to sail...into some green vegetation.

1796392610_Finished6.thumb.jpg.c321a181773ce2fdf8d27103f0e6152a.jpg

Thanks to all for the useful comments along the way.

Now to clear the decks in my 'shipyard' and make way for the Lady Elanor 'Fifie'.

All the best,

Richard

PS: I tried to add 'FINISHED' to the title but I can't edit the title. Anyone know how to do that? Thanks.

Very handsome, Rik -- congratulations! For future reference, titles can only be edited in the first post of a topic. I've taken care of this one for you.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 3:26 AM, Rik Thistle said:

Hi all,

Another short update.

The rigging on the Dallas slowly continues. Learning a lot as I progress, and finding new tricks and dodges to hide (some) of my mistakes 🙂

I've also started fitting the Yards.

1868564255_ship5.thumb.jpg.1553e9a0f03beaad5fc188aea11b15e9.jpg

...and from above...

542779610_ship1.thumb.jpg.f5bd06e4b286d1d17d621c6020ad244c.jpg

To assist with the rigging I've bought a cheap set of 'dentist's tools', and two tools (blue ones) specifically designed for rigging...

969535438_riggingtools1.thumb.jpg.e67a38dcb7b8adab972f9c62bfe3db72.jpg

I'm finding as the rope density on the ship increases it seems to become exponentially more difficult to attach and route the next rope. The new tools help considerably.

I'm also noting that taut ropes installed a few days ago become slacker as newer ropes are added. But I'm finding fudges to 're-taut' those ropes.

All in all quite a steep learning curve for me. Those that rig ships such as Nelson's HMS Victory have my deepest respect!

And there's not even any sails on the Dallas... another whole new ball game altogether.

Anyway, still enjoying the pain but looking forward to finishing Dallas and moving on to the Lady Eleanor Fifie.

Regards,

Richard

Looking at that rigging kit sure makes my teeth hurt! Excellent job though.

Beautiful model, Richard. Well done! I look forward to your fifi build.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Louie, turangi and Bob for the kind words.

I do like the overall look of the Dallas, and it's now sitting calmly on a shelf in my study. 

Having completed the hull about 25yrs ago it wasn't a smooth re-start in mid-2020 since I had to relearn the manual and drawings. But after a couple of weeks 'most' of it came back to me.

I've now moved on to Vanguard Models' Lady Eleanor Fifie....and after that another, more challenging VM ship is awaiting downstairs 😉

All the best,

Richard

• 1 month later...