Cutty Sark build question

Bill97

I previously said that was my last question so I guess I need to call this a curiosity maybe. On rigging the main course sail (bottom sail on main mast) and the main spencer sail, the instructions have me tie off to pins and the winch drum on both sides of the ship. Which I did as instructed. Those pins and winch drums are between the life boat davits. I have not rigged the davits yet. Waiting until I finish the running rigging. Curious if is going to look odd for the sail rigging lines to run through the davit rigging lines? And in actuality, not interfered with lowering the life boats?

BDBF9444-9BE8-4E84-9690-748001996F9B.jpeg

FC097C5E-8A7B-4265-B699-ADAF20ADABA9.jpeg

5221D584-1562-4063-AC36-AA7343021474.jpeg

F83F6C09-D542-4653-B353-66C9752272CF.jpeg

Thanks again John. Your nautical knowledge has been an incredibly helpful. So when I rig it he divots in  the criss cross (X) pattern does it matter if I go in front of the vangs or behind?  Inboard or outboard of the vangs?  Thanks again for your help with the spanker sail. I included a photo of how I rigged it with the spanker partially furled. 

EF594336-F45D-4299-B937-FE520F6A9378.jpeg

Bill, you might need to do a little experimenting with the vangs.  Their purpose is to stop the spencer gaff from sagging too far to leeward when the sail is set, so try them and see what looks logical.  Remember that the 'criss cross' pattern you talk about is simply a pretty way of rigging the boat falls - their proper place is rigged to the boats and not crossed to the opposite davit, so you can choose to rig them to the boats if you like and avoid any problems of which side the vangs should be.

John

Thanks one more time John. I wondered about the proper way to rig the davits. In an earlier discussion about just that someone said the x pattern was proper and lines were not attached to lifeboats until needed. Will see which way I like better. I set the vangs to hold the spencer gaff centered on the deck. Seems to work fine. I am curious as to the source of your knowledge and ship experience. You seem as if you must have a thorough background or just a real strong interest in these type ships. I find them fascinating. And with your help I am learning more and more about the actual engineering of how and why. Not just glue part 11 to part 12 without knowing what those parts did and why. Very interesting. Thanks again.