Hello from the not so sunny Spain.

Hello!

I'm Jandrus from Basque Country (northeast of Spain, rains and some days of sun in summer) and I just jumped onto wooden model ships, something I always wanted to do. Despite I'm not new to modeling it took me a lot of time to give the jump to work with wood... and it was my girlfriend who made me cross the line hahahaha.

I'm starting this new adventure (and hopefully the gate to more adventures) with occre’s kit HMS Beagle. For sure I will have lots of questions and I will learn a lot with you.

See you all!

Hello!

My wife and I spent a lot of time just up the road from you in Saint-Jean-de-Luz in France and we got engaged in Biarritz. We love the Basque Coast. So many great surfing spots! (And not to far from some great skiing too).

Spent a bit of time in Sans Sabastian and Mundaka. Great food, people and history!

Welcome to the forum.

Jandrus,

Welcome to Model Ship World and wooden models  :722972270:and a toast to your girlfriend for talking you over the line. :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Welcome to MSW, Jandrus.  Do start a build log as it's a great way to share your work and also get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome Jandrus! Don't forget to start a build log for your HMS Beagle.

You'll find quite a few Logs for her on MSW, which you will probably find helpful. Just type Beagle into the search bar at the top of the page.

I'm a fan of ships of the 15th century, and the Basques were the leaders in maritime design and shipbuilding at that time and for some time after. Am I right in thinking that Vasco da Gama's first name translates into English as "the Basque guy"?

Nice to have you with us. It can be a very satisfying hobby, I would also recommend starting a build log as it is a good way to get assistance and helps mark your own progress (which in years to come you will be pleased to look back on)

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks for this warm welcomming, as some have suggested it's my intention to star t a build log.

13 hours ago, Jonny 007 said:

Hello!

My wife and I spent a lot of time just up the road from you in Saint-Jean-de-Luz in France and we got engaged in Biarritz. We love the Basque Coast. So many great surfing spots! (And not to far from some great skiing too).

Spent a bit of time in Sans Sabastian and Mundaka. Great food, people and history!

Welcome to the forum.

In my humble opinion all the north coast of Spain is most wonderful area of the country.

5 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Welcome Jandrus! Don't forget to start a build log for your HMS Beagle.

You'll find quite a few Logs for her on MSW, which you will probably find helpful. Just type Beagle into the search bar at the top of the page.

I'm a fan of ships of the 15th century, and the Basques were the leaders in maritime design and shipbuilding at that time and for some time after. Am I right in thinking that Vasco da Gama's first name translates into English as "the Basque guy"?

No it isn't. I'm not sure, but Galicia (atlantic coast of spain in the north border with Portugal) use that name as the traduction of Velasco in galician (traditional lenguage of that territory). Since Vasco da Gama was born in Portugal (part of Spain in that age) and both, Portugal and Galicia, share similarities in their lenguages, I would say that is just a traditional name like Velasco in Spain (I don't know if Velasco has translation to english).

Da Gama is a surname used to indicate origin of a village or land, normaly meaning that the warers family is the owner (by title) of that land. Gama would be the land and "Da" would be "of".

I think spanish speakers in america use this distinction for womens who change their surname after marriage. "Wife of ThatFamily".

Welcome to the Forum!  You’ll find plenty of helpful people here. Please start a blog blog when you can

5 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

You'll find quite a few Logs for her on MSW, which you will probably find helpful. Just type Beagle into the search bar at the top of the page

One issue with the search is you will find all posts which mention Beagle in them.  To make it easier to find build logs you can use the tags.

Once you find a particular build log you can click on the tag at the top of the build named Beagle and it will bring up every build log we have for the ship without all the other topics which may have mentioned it.

Welcome to Model Ship World Jandrus.  I am glad that you have a girlfriend that encouraged you to work with wood.  You will have her support as well as the members on MSW when you start your OcCre kit of the Beagle.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

9 hours ago, MEDDO said:

One issue with the search is you will find all posts which mention Beagle in them.  To make it easier to find build logs you can use the tags.

https://modelshipworld.com/tags/beagle/

The TAG system makes finding build logs super easy.

Jandrus, warm :722972270:
The Beagle seems to be a great kit, seen pictures and looking forward to your build log.

You can also find us at Facebook, click the link in my signature.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 7/6/2020 at 9:45 PM, Jandrus said:

I would say that is just a traditional name like Velasco in Spain

Well, there's one theory shot down in flames :D.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Beagle log.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 1:45 PM, Jandrus said:

Thanks for this warm welcomming, as some have suggested it's my intention to star t a build log.

In my humble opinion all the north coast of Spain is most wonderful area of the country.

No it isn't. I'm not sure, but Galicia (atlantic coast of spain in the north border with Portugal) use that name as the traduction of Velasco in galician (traditional lenguage of that territory). Since Vasco da Gama was born in Portugal (part of Spain in that age) and both, Portugal and Galicia, share similarities in their lenguages, I would say that is just a traditional name like Velasco in Spain (I don't know if Velasco has translation to english).

Da Gama is a surname used to indicate origin of a village or land, normaly meaning that the warers family is the owner (by title) of that land. Gama would be the land and "Da" would be "of".

I think spanish speakers in america use this distinction for womens who change their surname after marriage. "Wife of ThatFamily".

Hello Jandrus. A Warm welcome, I will follow your log with interest. An historical correction as Vasco da Gama was a Portuguese explorer on behalf of the Portuguese Crown.  Portugal was not part of Spain at that time, in fact the short lived Iberian Union only lasted from 1580 ton1640.

Edited by Mario Pires
incorrection in dates