Viking longship by Cathead - Dusek - 1:35 - FINISHED

Several years ago a replica Viking Longboat sailed across the Atlantic and made several Ports of Call alone the Coast including one to the Hudson River Maritime Museum in Kingston NY.  Had a beautiful pair of carved figurehead on bow and stern.  See photos below.

IMGP1653.thumb.JPG.fdf9b5116bc0a3cf4d49299272a86b7a.JPGIMGP1628.thumb.JPG.2a57074f759efcf4250c5348a426d50d.JPGIMGP1623.thumb.JPG.38717b208ae7dc7ac671ed976058c73f.JPG

Eric, your model looks great.  Well done!   

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Just speculation here...  If the figurehead was the "spirit" of the ship (the guide, etc.) would have been possible that these were removed before any of the ships were buried? 

If I recall correctly, the sagas mention taking the figurehead off when entering a friendly port so as not to offend the local trolls and bring a curse down on the ship (not sure - I read this  along time ago). But apart from the Oseberg ship I know of no "figureheads" or fittings for them - and the Oseberg's one is pretty much integral with the ship itself.

Aha! Here's a reference - from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00253359.2020.1778300 - "Viking Age figureheads are sometimes described as magical. According to the Landnámabók, an Icelandic text describing the settlement of Iceland by the Vikings, these frightening figureheads should be removed when approaching land in order to not upset the spirits on the land."

Steven

On 7/12/2021 at 6:30 PM, Louie da fly said:

If I recall correctly, the sagas mention taking the figurehead off when entering a friendly port so as not to offend the local trolls and bring a curse down on the ship (not sure - I read this  along time ago). But apart from the Oseberg ship I know of no "figureheads" or fittings for them - and the Oseberg's one is pretty much integral with the ship itself.

Aha! Here's a reference - from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00253359.2020.1778300 - "Viking Age figureheads are sometimes described as magical. According to the Landnámabók, an Icelandic text describing the settlement of Iceland by the Vikings, these frightening figureheads should be removed when approaching land in order to not upset the spirits on the land."

Steven

As I recall, the Gokstad ship was buried with the stems exposed, so any evidence of figure head or attachment method would have rotted away, or been removed, long in the past

• 2 weeks later...

The final details have been added. First, I made a series of rope coils for each rigging line, to hide the cut-off end and because it just looks better this way. Below is just one example; no idea if this is just how Vikings coiled their lines but I don't think we can know for sure, so I'm going with it.

IMG_3286.jpeg.499429b5b8c8e5460c7aede649103510.jpeg 

And the final fun, an anchor. I like the look of stone anchors that other modelers have done, such as this one from killickthere's build:

mv_ship_anchor_I.jpg

So I cut a few live branch junctions (so the wood would be flexible) and hunted around for a good igneous pebble that would look like the right kind of rounded glacial boulder a Viking shoreline would turn up. I found an awesome triangular one.

I used a sharp knife to carve the branch junction down so it looked like an axe-hewn trunk, and made a bottom cross-piece:

IMG_3264.jpeg.e7e0374d6163ace17b42a3eb94fdbdcf.jpeg

The cross-piece was bored so that the branch Y would have to bend around the rock a bit, helping hold it in place. The fit isn't perfect but it's the closest branch shape I could find in the time I wanted to spend on this. Test-fitting:

IMG_3265.jpeg.08d79ab069d3f09f063c8892c67e8112.jpeg

I stained this with dilute paint and then rubbed it with pastel before installing the rock. I then made a final rope coil for the anchor. This is a big beast, but it's a big ship, and I can envision a few burly Vikings heaving this over the side with a grunt. Here it is in place at the bow:

IMG_3285.jpeg.c160c4e49c1d0f707ed62f3b9964a1bc.jpeg

I think it gets the idea across well enough. So with this, I think I'm done adding details. Tomorrow I plan to take a full set of photos (including for the NRG model contest, due August 2), and then I'll declare it done.

Edited by Cathead

Eric,

Excellent job on the anchor. One of the things I enjoy most about your builds are that you make use of materials you have on your property. I try to incorporate something in each of my builds as well, albeit most of them are are small obscure pieces, like the woodpile on my Chaperon (which by the way I took your advice and entered in the contest as well).

While I was in Kentucky last month I picked up a few barrel staves from one of the distilleries we visited and I plan on using some of that material on my Cairo. Haven’t quite decided yet on where, but it will be a nice French White Oak addition to the build (with the wonderful aroma of bourbon). 

Glad to see that you are on your way to completing this build soon. Can’t wait to see what you have in store for us next. I truly have enjoyed this one. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

The longship is officially finished, just over a year from when I began it. It's spanned a rather intense period of my life, including the decline and death of my father-in-law, a lifelong scholar of Old English language and Anglo-Saxon history who was very important to me. In his final days, I stayed at his bedside night and day, at times reading Beowulf to him, including these lines:

You have fared in life so that far and near
Forever and ever, you will be honored…

Thus it is duly just
That one praise his prince in poem and story
And hold him in heart when he must head away
Forth from flesh elsewhere. 

This build is dedicated to him, as well as to my proudly Norwegian grandfather who was a mentor and role model to me, and who would have loved to see this model.

I can't express how much the support, advice, and discussion from all of you following this has meant in the past year. Life has been rough in many other ways beyond the above, that I don't need to go into here, but this model will always be tied to this period of life and I thank you all so much for helping me carry forward. With that being said, here are the twelve images I officially submitted to the NRG 2021 photo contest this morning (there's still time to enter your own models, the more the merrier). The first eight are required angles:

IMG_3298.jpeg.ec1e06bf093c8333a8687b53220ffa1d.jpegIMG_3299.jpeg.c099cd7cf076a3e60b3b0ab7d23953e3.jpeg

IMG_3300.thumb.jpeg.7a4d8798d0576bece183628ac4ae8d88.jpeg

IMG_3301.thumb.jpeg.8880ee548b28385ab2c76b523462afd8.jpeg

IMG_3302.thumb.jpeg.9438d02bc6a154384e3f4ebbde69f60a.jpeg

IMG_3304.thumb.jpeg.a69edb38b315f43ab8bd07ee41d96aa4.jpeg

IMG_3305.thumb.jpeg.4cd5b87c7d9e0b589ea2c598b5147fee.jpeg

IMG_3306.thumb.jpeg.889d8f2e92e0f8ddc99b497fdcf0bf6a.jpeg

After this are four optional shots highlighting whatever details are desired. So I included this close view down the central hull:

IMG_3330.jpeg.9412dd77c3ccfa9ca706c02a0256faf1.jpeg

This view of the chests, shields, and rope coils at the stern:

IMG_3328.jpeg.d3738902d86c7a5962def7ed1df55055.jpeg

This overhead view that captures more of the cargo and deck detail:

IMG_3321.jpeg.b2670d3c1115e0473824e6407be929de.jpeg

And this shot of the crew ready for their next adventure:

IMG_3318.thumb.jpeg.09578f6002bcfd52a662f17fc953e315.jpeg

I also took these additional shots that weren't submitted but that I also like. First, another of the crew, this time at the stern:

IMG_3320.jpeg.b50bf8e59bf0b7c2113c741071eab852.jpeg

Then these two vertical views:

IMG_3325.thumb.jpeg.d03f6396df81360b94484ae08c45263b.jpegIMG_3322.thumb.jpeg.823f307b297a2f32f49da63570499a1f.jpeg

And finally, this one of the model's temporary home. I'm working on getting a full-size display cabinet for my models that will protect the large ones like this and my Arabia more efficiently than individual cases, but for now  this works pretty well:

IMG_3333.thumb.jpeg.ca7001c439c5bffae89d3e3e36fc6e68.jpeg

To address the inevitable question, my next two projects won't be nearly as interesting to others. I purchased two NRG learning projects to work on my planking and scratchbuilding skills.

First, the half-hull planking kit, which I want to do in part or whole with wood I've cut and milled on my property:

1209024853_360x.jpg?v=1578423609

Second, the capstan project, with the same goal for wood sourcing:

capstan_360x.jpg?v=1620747444

I'll do build logs for these, and am looking forward to working on something smaller for a change after this Viking behemoth!

Thanks, again, with all my heart for sticking with me on this voyage.

Edited by Cathead

Those are some great shots, Eric! I really enjoyed looking at them, thanks for sharing them and also for writing up the excellent build log on this cool vessel 🙂.

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

From here, it's been a great journey and learning experience, Eric.   I'm glad you shared it.   I hope the model does well in the competition as it's a beautiful tribute to your father-in-law.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful build Eric. As always it’s sad to see them end, but what a great journey it has been. Thank you so much for sharing your work and research with us. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Thanks again to all of you. For those who might be interested, I've started my next project, the NRG 18th century merchantman half-hull planking kit. While this has been done many times, I'm adding a twist by intending to do all the planking using wood I harvested and milled here on my rural property, primarily cherry, walnut, and maple. I hope that adds to the interest, but regardless, I'm glad you came along for the ride on this longship.

Congratulations on finishing this wonderful model Eric.  This has been an interesting log and a pleasure to follow.

Gary  

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Congratulations on a bitter-sweet conclusion to a very fine model, Eric. My condolences on the loss of your father in law. I love the Heaney rendering of Beowolf - thank you for sharing those lines with us.

But back to your model: I love the muted color scheme, as well as a crew I wouldn't want to meet on a beach somewhere.

To better days ahead!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Beautifully built and displayed, Eric! I'm sure your loved ones would admire it with joy. Congratulations.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild