Jump to content

Prins Willem 1650 by mhkash


Recommended Posts

Hello All

When I started the hobby of building model ships, I didn't have neither the knowledge nor the necessary tools to build the Models... and that led to some ugly ones 🤪😀.. However I didn't give up and kept reading and watching Videos.. I believe the Models I build after several trials became better then the old ones☺️☺️ ... One of the Ships I was (and am still) fond of is the Prins Willem 1650 .. a model which was built by many Modelers as it is a source of inspiration I guess .. I built it long years ago and here are the photos of that build 🙄

 

 

 

980674_161931303987323_806936262_o.jpg.4bb1e63d32c05a1a7240b2737694bd9a.jpg980220_161931210653999_1873951471_o.jpg.755ca7a319595ef810a9ef29b46115c9.jpg963778_161931123987341_724524836_o.jpg.46f673c4f721bfc18dbd603fc3ac9970.jpg600574_161931120654008_1034673814_n.jpg.7514d32a175dc336725668ba9141c6dd.jpg

 

I know It is not so nice and it is not close to the Prins Willem either ,and the scale of the rigging components is not accurate. Please Notice the furled sails , they are not so professional .. not rolled as it should be 😏 So I decided to build it again after I gained some experience and intend to share the building log with you this time. 

 

IMG_20200705_223959.jpg.514e0219e97fc8542169a012c5d4116f.jpgIMG_20200705_223945.jpg.40a77a2ab6e229e59d01b412ca6b00c7.jpgIMG_20200705_224243_1.jpg.3f3b0ad8cb814e670b41131a903ae8ef.jpgIMG_20200705_224210_1.jpg.29a1d67a256e657759ae2b1e196d1bcb.jpgIMG_20200705_224207.jpg.5b81a55f1a5ddc08fc087387a961aa0e.jpgIMG_20200705_224148_1.jpg.258a05f1eba86af33b252522fb7336b8.jpgIMG_20200705_224135_1.jpg.41da0d80cc15e9322cc2bd04a7753076.jpgIMG_20200705_224043_1.jpg.15b9d9027c7b0ebc530f3e7278477696.jpgIMG_20200705_224031.jpg.94db2b113e9cacfe811c6d96d510b19a.jpg

 

It will always be very nice to receive your comments

Thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, amateur said:

OK. In that case there is no need to tell you the errors in the kit :).

Wish you  with your build.

 

Guess you know that this drawing is based on a model that is in the amsterdam Rijksmuseum?

 

Jan

Thank you Jan, No i didn't know that .. I'll search the photos of this model in amsterdam Rijksmuseum website .. I'm sure it will be a great help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is also a book (in Dutch, by Herman Ketting) giving quite a number of helpfull illustrations.

He also gives drawings of the model, but the as Corel took some liberties, the drawings of the original model do not match the Corel drawings 100%

 

The mdoel can be found here:

 https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/NG-NM-11911

 

And some detail pics of the model (it was in depot when the pics were taken, hence the somewhat dusty appearance....). I was workin gon the rigging when I visited the model, so the pics mainly show riggin gdetails, and not hull details. But perhaps you can use them anyway for inspiration.

 

ON the pics you will see one of the main differences between the original model, and the Corel version: it's the fore-deck: Corel put one in (following a suggestion of Ketting), but the model has none, and presumably, the original did not have one: quite a number of this size of Dutch ships did not have the fore-deck (although the outside apearance is that the have one).

 

IMG_7574.JPG.ae43676f9f31c4ff23abb3dea41623ed.JPGIMG_7575.JPG.7261bbae72c964de183ccd3e074f88b6.JPGIMG_7576.JPG.0e6bf28a8404e1e4c346408c0e9b7253.JPGIMG_7577.JPG.12d91c86a1e6867a3ac73e06038c9cbb.JPGIMG_7578.JPG.493c051c75d4988d0933d0077198eaeb.JPGIMG_7579.JPG.75e7ba729c85e5dcbace37a561e20edc.JPGIMG_7580.JPG.dd0e01689769c32529ef6df323410b3a.JPGIMG_7582.JPG.378ef04f5ec70024dee6a4042f380cdd.JPGIMG_7583.JPG.3e71364383b23364c442da338b23a3f8.JPGIMG_7584.JPG.8ef2f0d0303b5981306f75ff9af91b03.JPGIMG_7585.JPG.c3f4b0c56d6310b3d309d17e48262b46.JPGIMG_7589.JPG.7e9c8e6db0ae8158093d6031e9f348b4.JPGIMG_7590.JPG.808480aa276212b2fa786cbaef45c858.JPGIMG_7591.JPG.fb17ecef2194ccace14d7ea8d422e24f.JPGIMG_7592.JPG.942730c4ec60142a52431893a8595a41.JPGIMG_7593.JPG.36f506042025b482db37a2d164acd945.JPGIMG_7596.JPG.6e39604cd57aebe908a923b0ccef5d24.JPGIMG_7597.JPG.a5fd5050c3677385cfc0550752f0698a.JPGIMG_7598.JPG.1113894b29803434a7e44be03251702c.JPGIMG_7600.JPG.8af90fb8ccfb881d9b441876e2bd275e.JPGIMG_7601.JPG.919c051ac927a836dc95036aacf170a1.JPGIMG_7603.JPG.f925481e502ac862c983d48f6cdab945.JPGIMG_7604.JPG.64ac61aa5cbba7695e5b2f1fa681be76.JPGIMG_7605.JPG.0ccfe5a970cdf2aeef88e4861e2fcb81.JPGIMG_7606.JPG.a51946b54b598cf85be520a271f98dfb.JPGIMG_7607.JPG.cfafd5aee432f8176f1c64b403fa1e14.JPGIMG_7608.JPG.ead29baeed8ff889fc0f5863e403416f.JPGIMG_7609.JPG.8be3607a812631a610911eab25084a30.JPGIMG_7610.JPG.38cc99288f1aecead3c41a3e8dee01d8.JPGIMG_7613.JPG.b6169a52f7133a06c3e725b032079d05.JPGIMG_7619.JPG.cd135c086a1ea9ee721b5cf34f9ac087.JPGIMG_7620.JPG.3fdb13d12a446e0f67b9889d851173e4.JPGIMG_7621.JPG.cff5131aeabb7881304ba6f627cc94ee.JPGIMG_7622.JPG.78ec12acd0b4284625a6d0a08f2a196f.JPG

 

And in case you wonder why my avatar is the Prins Willem, and I have this many pics. Somewere in 2000 my wife gave me the Corel-kit as a birthday present, and I'm still not finised (not very hard at work either :) )

 

IMG_4081.JPG.9fd8410d30a16be1af30e4f2bafc5025.JPG

 

Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, amateur said:

There is also a book (in Dutch, by Herman Ketting) giving quite a number of helpfull illustrations.

He also gives drawings of the model, but the as Corel took some liberties, the drawings of the original model do not match the Corel drawings 100%

 

The mdoel can be found here:

 https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/NG-NM-11911

 

And some detail pics of the model (it was in depot when the pics were taken, hence the somewhat dusty appearance....). I was workin gon the rigging when I visited the model, so the pics mainly show riggin gdetails, and not hull details. But perhaps you can use them anyway for inspiration.

 

ON the pics you will see one of the main differences between the original model, and the Corel version: it's the fore-deck: Corel put one in (following a suggestion of Ketting), but the model has none, and presumably, the original did not have one: quite a number of this size of Dutch ships did not have the fore-deck (although the outside apearance is that the have one).

 

IMG_7574.JPG.ae43676f9f31c4ff23abb3dea41623ed.JPGIMG_7575.JPG.7261bbae72c964de183ccd3e074f88b6.JPGIMG_7576.JPG.0e6bf28a8404e1e4c346408c0e9b7253.JPGIMG_7577.JPG.12d91c86a1e6867a3ac73e06038c9cbb.JPGIMG_7578.JPG.493c051c75d4988d0933d0077198eaeb.JPGIMG_7579.JPG.75e7ba729c85e5dcbace37a561e20edc.JPGIMG_7580.JPG.dd0e01689769c32529ef6df323410b3a.JPGIMG_7582.JPG.378ef04f5ec70024dee6a4042f380cdd.JPGIMG_7583.JPG.3e71364383b23364c442da338b23a3f8.JPGIMG_7584.JPG.8ef2f0d0303b5981306f75ff9af91b03.JPGIMG_7585.JPG.c3f4b0c56d6310b3d309d17e48262b46.JPGIMG_7589.JPG.7e9c8e6db0ae8158093d6031e9f348b4.JPGIMG_7590.JPG.808480aa276212b2fa786cbaef45c858.JPGIMG_7591.JPG.fb17ecef2194ccace14d7ea8d422e24f.JPGIMG_7592.JPG.942730c4ec60142a52431893a8595a41.JPGIMG_7593.JPG.36f506042025b482db37a2d164acd945.JPGIMG_7596.JPG.6e39604cd57aebe908a923b0ccef5d24.JPGIMG_7597.JPG.a5fd5050c3677385cfc0550752f0698a.JPGIMG_7598.JPG.1113894b29803434a7e44be03251702c.JPGIMG_7600.JPG.8af90fb8ccfb881d9b441876e2bd275e.JPGIMG_7601.JPG.919c051ac927a836dc95036aacf170a1.JPGIMG_7603.JPG.f925481e502ac862c983d48f6cdab945.JPGIMG_7604.JPG.64ac61aa5cbba7695e5b2f1fa681be76.JPGIMG_7605.JPG.0ccfe5a970cdf2aeef88e4861e2fcb81.JPGIMG_7606.JPG.a51946b54b598cf85be520a271f98dfb.JPGIMG_7607.JPG.cfafd5aee432f8176f1c64b403fa1e14.JPGIMG_7608.JPG.ead29baeed8ff889fc0f5863e403416f.JPGIMG_7609.JPG.8be3607a812631a610911eab25084a30.JPGIMG_7610.JPG.38cc99288f1aecead3c41a3e8dee01d8.JPGIMG_7613.JPG.b6169a52f7133a06c3e725b032079d05.JPGIMG_7619.JPG.cd135c086a1ea9ee721b5cf34f9ac087.JPGIMG_7620.JPG.3fdb13d12a446e0f67b9889d851173e4.JPGIMG_7621.JPG.cff5131aeabb7881304ba6f627cc94ee.JPGIMG_7622.JPG.78ec12acd0b4284625a6d0a08f2a196f.JPG

 

And in case you wonder why my avatar is the Prins Willem, and I have this many pics. Somewere in 2000 my wife gave me the Corel-kit as a birthday present, and I'm still not finised (not very hard at work either :) )

 

IMG_4081.JPG.9fd8410d30a16be1af30e4f2bafc5025.JPG

 

Jan

This is fabulous .. Thank you very much ... These are great shots of the rigging details  👌👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All

I started to work on the planking for this model, I intend to do 2 layers of planks as I have been doing with all my models. I use balsa wood and here is the firs layer of planks.IMG_20200711_123333_1.jpg.ebfc7d167aafd756d6a40aaaa0ae0b5e.jpgIMG_20200711_123305_1.jpg.077286297404fdf7f31ce596f9ce21e5.jpgIMG_20200711_123256_1.jpg.a0805e7b00d43e7d2a521133bc077722.jpgIMG_20200711_123247.jpg.5a6da1512206b567e99ea32af2ee9450.jpgIMG_20200711_123236.jpg.0dc491d11ac06fd88c65d3d2097ef529.jpg

 

I've completed the first layer and started to open the gun hatches, I guess it will look much better to keep them closed instead of putting the guns on the lower deck

or do you think it will look better that way.

IMG_20200717_204215_1.jpg.bc82a13294df18fca8389ae6452cbd25.jpgIMG_20200717_204205.jpg.e4384514cebb8db87b62dbd8b7374875.jpgIMG_20200717_204153_1.jpg.f830a8c4a9cb580fb60fd294e321318b.jpgIMG_20200717_194107.jpg.0613072a03a57492463b9b61dcaf197a.jpgIMG_20200717_194101_1.jpg.a83a74a6bd7f7c88b24b941e8153e8b4.jpgIMG_20200717_194052.jpg.ee859a643c96287f448265610b295eab.jpgIMG_20200717_194042_1.jpg.419c39b7399711ba4fc1f68354a239a8.jpgIMG_20200717_194034_1.jpg.a704fc9ee439eabb9ea8201919bc2742.jpgIMG_20200711_123319_1.jpg.79cb077c277d3ee2e836b4c8eb693643.jpgThank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Good day all

I resumed working on my Prins Willem Planking and Gun hatches .. I've completed the first layer of the planks, and started on the second one.. your comments are highly appreciated ..

Here are the photos of the first and a little bit of the second

IMG_20200802_232123_1.jpg.9c463b08dbee3655425d9e9406302190.jpgIMG_20200802_232110_1.jpg.11072cea0acc1d75076ef7f56e6eda1e.jpgIMG_20200802_232100.jpg.875f9516104f4f03fd1d9ed27730fc98.jpgIMG_20200802_232048.jpg.b9d1c04cc4ce9ef3c337432f5a8a7ff5.jpg

Then .. Started working on the Gun hatches 

IMG_20200803_150212_1.jpg.3c725a1269a04a1e17f17235666e377e.jpgIMG_20200803_150324.jpg.4579dcd4c9c07f7845e745c67aca7412.jpgIMG_20200803_150304_1.jpg.478d517706210cbea4fa17cefa4fd2f5.jpgIMG_20200803_150219.jpg.1f94ce27874744e31a2156a83b04d989.jpgIMG_20200803_150214_1.jpg.cd1dad2f98add6eb43a5c420fdf53a0c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi!


I wish I could do some wooden model even like your first one!

 

Nice work on the hull so far! My first ever wooden ship, the Elbing Cog based on paper-model plans from the polish company Mały Modelarz was also from balsa.I replaced the card with it because I wanted to do something from wood but don’t have the tools or space for it. I worked mainly with a scalpel and some CA glue and painted it with some sort of wood-finish...You can find some photos of it in the gallery.

But I returned to card and paper because it is cheaper and does not require so may tools...Currently I finish my Mayflower, which I started

10 year ago!😱

 

How do you color your model? The deck looks very authentic! One point though: The grating seems a bit big. And I like the open gun ports. 
 

Rgds,

Radek

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, RdK said:

Hi!


I wish I could do some wooden model even like your first one!

 

Nice work on the hull so far! My first ever wooden ship, the Elbing Cog based on paper-model plans from the polish company Mały Modelarz was also from balsa.I replaced the card with it because I wanted to do something from wood but don’t have the tools or space for it. I worked mainly with a scalpel and some CA glue and painted it with some sort of wood-finish...You can find some photos of it in the gallery.

But I returned to card and paper because it is cheaper and does not require so may tools...Currently I finish my Mayflower, which I started

10 year ago!😱

 

How do you color your model? The deck looks very authentic! One point though: The grating seems a bit big. And I like the open gun ports. 
 

Rgds,

Radek

Hello Radek

 

Thank you for your comments, yes you are right about the grating it seams big.. I enjoyed your Mayflower thread very much ..  indeed , the build is great and the first impression it looks like pure wood to me and the color, look and feel of real wood grains is impressing.. The Clay deadeye is a smart trick , I love it .. I admit i will keep this log in front of my during the build..

 

And regarding the Deck color , it is an acrylic yellow paint , and after it dried , I used very light brown + an acrylic matt polish (one drop of brown : 10 drops of polish) and spread it with a sponge ..  

Edited by mhkash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The size an number of the gratings is based on the contemporaneous model. So, why should you change?

Gratings were used for all ships with a lower gundeck. Real warships had even gratings over the full length of the ship.Or do you mean the number of strips used for the gartings (the size of the holes. Than you should try to follow the rul that the size of the holws is slightly smaller than the with of a foot (ie around 10 cm). The museum-model has holes slightly wider than that, but not as wide as yours.

 

 

Jan

Edited by amateur
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, amateur said:

The size an number of the gratings is based on the contemporaneous model. So, why should you change?

Gratings were used for all ships with a lower gundeck. Real warships had even gratings over the full length of the ship.Or do you mean the number of strips used for the gartings (the size of the holes. Than you should try to follow the rul that the size of the holws is slightly smaller than the with of a foot (ie around 10 cm). The museum-model has holes slightly wider than that, but not as wide as yours.

 

 

Jan

Thank you for the clarification, Jan. Always something to learn for beginners such as me...😊

 

-Radek

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...